Gransnet forums

Gardening

Soap in planting hole.

(4 Posts)
shysal Fri 23-Oct-20 08:21:59

Has anyone tried grating soap into the hole when planting bulbs? I heard this recommended by David Domoney.
I have lost countless bulbs to wildlife, probably squirrels, including the majority of this year's Gladioli. I have bought a bar of Wright's Coal Tar soap, as it is apparently the scent which puts off the animals and also masks the smell of the bulbs. I would love to know whether this is likely to work. I have tried curry powder on the surface of pots to no avail.

Sarnia Fri 23-Oct-20 08:26:58

I have never heard of this one but if it has been mentioned by David Domoney I would give it a go. There are some weird and wonderful tips out there to deter the plant munchers. Good luck.

Tuppence15 Fri 23-Oct-20 08:37:52

We heard once that white vinegar down a mole hole would put them off. We didn’t have any so my husband, working on the theory that whatever you used needed a strong scent, used some of his after shave.? The mole didn’t come back. Doesn’t say much for his after shave.?

BlueBelle Sat 24-Oct-20 08:27:13

I love wrights coal tar I always use it I love the smell maybe it’s a childhood thing sorry went off at a tangent there I haven’t tried it in the garden
Does it keep off cats ???