Gransnet forums

Gardening

Senecio going green

(6 Posts)
overthehill Fri 30-Oct-20 20:56:39

Bought a beautiful Senecio about 6 weeks ago. It had lovely silvery leaves. Now the silvery coating is fast disappearing sadly leaving green patches on the leaves.
Anyone know what to do?

SpringyChicken Fri 30-Oct-20 22:48:37

Which senecio did you buy, Overthehill?

overthehill Sat 31-Oct-20 08:46:10

Yes forgot to say 'Angel Wings' As you can see so sad from how it looked when we bought it

Shrub Sat 31-Oct-20 08:57:54

My guess is that it is suffering from the damp weather. It is slightly tender and needs a sunny dry spot. Good luck with it.

SpringyChicken Sat 31-Oct-20 11:14:39

It likes hot dry sunny conditions in well-drained soil. Grey downy leaves are an indicator of that. I would dig it up and put it back into the pot. Put it somewhere like a cool sunny porch. Plant out next spring (late April or May) so it has a chance to establish over a whole summer. It needs winter protection in all but the mildest areas of the uk according to the rhs website. I imagine that if you have a spot in the garden where pelargoniums will survive outdoors , the senecio would too. But like pelargoniums, it would be dodgy to plant out before winter.

overthehill Sat 31-Oct-20 23:15:20

Thank you for the advice will try digging it up. I can't find it now, someone on the internet suggested when this happens a certain bug strips the leaves of the downy stuff.