Gransnet forums

Gardening

Lovely surprise

(57 Posts)
vampirequeen Fri 20-Nov-20 11:31:35

I live in a street of granny flats and we share a communal garden. As usual this is just grass so when I moved in I started to introduce a few pots etc. because it was so depressing. This has sort of grown and my container garden is spreading out. My neighbours are happy with this as they like the colour and watching the birds at the feeder. As you can imagine this is costing me a fortune. This month the local council asked for people to apply for grants if they're trying to make communal gardens nicer. The examples they gave seemed to be much bigger projects than mine and seemed to involve more people but I thought I'd give it a try. I completed the form, attached photos of the garden and asked for money to buy a skimmia, a lavatera, a dappled willow and a bag of compost (the limit was £50). Today I got a letter saying that if I buy the plants and send them the receipts they'll reimburse me up to £50. I've ordered the plants and can't wait for them to come grin

ginny Fri 20-Nov-20 11:39:11

How lovely. Well done you .?

FannyCornforth Fri 20-Nov-20 11:40:28

Oh well done! What a lovely thing to do.
And that's great that you got the money too.
Can you show us some pictures please? flowers

Tangerine Fri 20-Nov-20 11:42:45

Nice to hear such good news in these strange times.

NotSpaghetti Fri 20-Nov-20 11:47:01

Fantastic! I know £50 doesn't go a long way with plants but how lovely of the council to recognise the benefits!
Well done.

J52 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:28:49

That’s fantastic. Well done for taking the initiative. I always think it’s a shame when I see neglected flower beds. Long live guerrilla gardening.

kircubbin2000 Fri 20-Nov-20 12:33:33

Don't think our council would like this. Apparently they injected swans eggs with oil earlier in the year. The birds sat and tried to hatch them and now one of them has died of a broken heart at the failure.Council are trying to reduce numbers as they are at the airport and a danger.

vampirequeen Fri 20-Nov-20 14:04:10

Oh kircubbin2000 what a horrible thing to do to the swans. Which council is it?

The garden isn't looking it's best atm as we've had a couple of frosts already so most things are passed their best. Basically it's a variety of bushes, perennials, summer bedding and spring bulbs in containers. I've bought most of the plants but I'm also learning how to grow from seed and cuttings. I've grown two dogwoods from cuttings which should be a good size and shape by next spring. We have a horrible, old fence that separates our garden from the private gardens behind us. The idea is to hide the fence with the bushes and fill in gaps with perennials and bedding. I'm trying to get bushes which give something in every season whether it be leaf colour, flowers or berries. Everything is in pots so can be moved around as the garden develops. I'm not very good at imagining what something will look like so it's all trial and error. I'm also going to invest in a variety of sedums and alpines like stonecrop that will grow wherever. I may be on Santa's naughty list because I've been nipping bits off sedums when I see them as I've discovered that most will regenerate from the smallest amounts. So I have selection of little plants that will be big enough to plant out next year. I've also been given plants from people on Freegle and even a lady who we were chatting to as she was gardening. When we told her what I was doing she split some plants for me. They're also growing in small pots atm.

If I manage to make something worthwhile I may ask the council if I can dig into the ground and transplant things from the pots. That should save on my water bill as I have to water everything regularly in summer. DH is now planning a water feature and a cold frame cum mini greenhouse. We've seen them online but they're expensive and DH thinks he may be able to make one for less money. Fingers crossed.

Nortsat Fri 20-Nov-20 14:09:53

Congratulations... well done.
I look forward to seeing some pictures. ?

cornergran Fri 20-Nov-20 14:14:31

What an achievement in beginning such a worthwhile project vampirequeen, good for you. I’m delighted you have been awarded the grant. Some flowers for you.

grannyactivist Fri 20-Nov-20 15:07:55

vampire I'm so glad your local council is backing your community minded efforts. When that happens it tends to have a domino effect of other people getting involved, as well as encouraging your own efforts.

phoenix Fri 20-Nov-20 15:15:16

Well done vampirequeen! Just shows, "don't ask, don't get"!

Good on you for having a go, and congratulations on such a good result!

PollyDolly Fri 20-Nov-20 15:19:53

That's great news vampirequeen! Great. Effort on your part ?

EllanVannin Fri 20-Nov-20 15:24:07

What a heartwarming post, well done you Vampirequeen. Once established and growing it will be lovely.

I'm delighted here to see a little holly tree growing from nowhere. Birds started it probably because I didn't plant it, as it's right beneath a fence where a bird would sit smile

Blinko Fri 20-Nov-20 15:24:52

The garden sounds lovely, vq. Well done, and well done to your local authority for their small grants scheme. Photos when you have them would be lovely! flowers

Kellie40 Sat 21-Nov-20 09:46:58

That’s brilliant, I bet you cheer up many people

Auntieflo Sat 21-Nov-20 09:59:47

Vampirequeen, that is just the sort of story that we need right now. Well done you, and also to your council for giving you the grant towards plants.
As has been said, post some pictures when you can, and we shall all enjoy your efforts.

leeds22 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:02:56

Well done. What a thoughtful local council too.

Millie22 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:10:34

Just lovely and skimmia is really nice. I have one in my garden.

kwest Sat 21-Nov-20 10:11:52

What a lovely thing to do. I hope you and your friends enjoy your endeavors. Another example of random acts of kindness.

Leah50 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:15:36

That's lovely vampirequeen, what a super thing to do!

b1zzle Sat 21-Nov-20 10:21:41

Oh, well done you! I've also just moved into sheltered housing accommodation with a communal garden that not many of the residents are mobile enough to visit in order to enjoy so am also trying to do my bit and inject a little life and colour.
Got to be a bit patient and wait to see what bulbs and plants come up in the Spring but it's an opportunity to spread my horticultural wings a little bit further than my new courtyard garden.

Davida1968 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:22:54

Congratulations vampirequeen. What a heartwarming and uplifting post! I wish you a successful and happy "growing time" with all that you plant/tend. The world needs more people like you.

NannyG123 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:26:59

Vampirequeen. You sound like a lovely person hope you get the help you need to keep the garden looking lovely and colourful.

Calender37 Sat 21-Nov-20 10:30:09

Vampirequeen - you are doing something which is bringing so much pleasure and cheerfulness to your neighbours whilst you are still enjoying your love of gardening. That makes you quite a special soul - thoughtful and sharing - and don’t we all need more of that in these days I ask. Bless.