Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cats coming into the garden

(48 Posts)
susieq3 Wed 17-Mar-21 13:57:57

Has anyone any ideas for keeping cats from using my garden as a toilet. I have three cats that come In daily. My garden is now covered in canes and stones to try and deter them. They always find another spot though.! I have tried neem oil, it doesn’t work though.

Thanks.

Onthemoors Thu 18-Mar-21 12:15:11

We had the same problem, not anymore! Cats do not like water over them so, just once, my husband used a water pistol, they all stay away now, seem to have good memories!!

NannyBuzz Thu 18-Mar-21 12:53:00

Having your own doesn't always work. I had a lady cat who would sit and watch the others pooing all over my garden

Sheree Thu 18-Mar-21 16:08:21

There's something you can buy from b&q its a cat and dog repellent its worked for us thank goodness

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Mar-21 16:45:10

We have used citrus peel, gel, cayenne pepper, some other version of pepper, jeyes fluid, rue, lavender, mirrors, water pistol, something so smelly I felt sick if I went in the garden, spiked sticks, some sort of menthol product, old CDs.... AND both mains and battery cat scarer.
Some cats are DETERMINED.

NotSpaghetti Thu 18-Mar-21 16:46:10

Oh yes. And we picked up all the bloomin' cat sh*t too.
Horrible!

eazybee Thu 18-Mar-21 17:10:45

Do you have a path in your garden? I have two cats, and noticed a procession of neighbourhood cats walking down the path from the side gate to the fence at the bottom of the garden, which some used as their personal bathroom. When the paving stones were relaid as a patio the cats were disgusted as they liked to use it to keep their paws dry, and they stopped coming.

madeleine45 Fri 19-Mar-21 07:25:32

The best thing of all is to have your own cat. They are very terratorial and will keep any other cats out, so only one cat to train or look after. Then a good water pistol works well. If I am sat in the garden or anywhere outside on the patio or whatever have a water pistol at my side. It has a good range and after a few times when they get wet, when they see me lift the pistol up they just go. Also another reason to have your own cat. Stroking a cat is very good for stress releasing and could be very calming for you. Good luck

nanna8 Fri 19-Mar-21 07:49:24

The cats I have known have all buried their poo. Maybe they were just polite ? I never, ever saw any cat poo from our cat until he was really old and had to have a dirt tray. Even then he covered it up like the gentleman he was.

Lilith Fri 19-Mar-21 08:46:55

Hi Susie, Cocoa Mulch is fab... Its the husks of chocolate 'pods' smells delicious, looks fab and bio-degradable... not recommended if you have dogs or small children (unless you cordon it off) have recommended to lots of folk, works the best out of all deterrents tried (inexpensive and bag lasts ages) :-)

DillytheGardener Fri 19-Mar-21 08:53:42

Try a combo, sonic device and Lion Poo worked for me (the lion poo you can buy on amazon and back this up with a water pistol! It will make your garden a very unappetising place so that they will do their business elsewhere. This thread made me laugh, reminded me of my granny who pelted cats intruding on her award winning garden with stale scones and blue language.

Vickysponge Fri 19-Mar-21 08:56:19

I use garlic powder from Aldi. I sprinkle it where the cats go and it works. You have to keep it topped up and I usually sprinkle the areas once a week.

Nell8 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:12:25

We have a bird feeding area which is a magnet for next door's cat. I collect large spiky twigs from a local pyracantha bush after the council have pruned it. I place these strategically round the garden to redirect the cat e.g. on soft, inviting seed beds; at the bottom of fence crossing points; between shrubs where she lurks to stalk the birds.It's not for the faint hearted though - I'm often the victim of my own deterrent! I have a pact with the cat - she can poo in out of the way corners provided she looks pretty and keeps off specified areas.

Nell8 Fri 19-Mar-21 09:14:09

Correction - it's not for the faint hearted!!

BlueBelle Fri 19-Mar-21 09:22:51

NellG I hope it works for you I did that a few years ago and watched the cats literally tiptoe through it to do their morning bathroom antics
Nothing at all has worked for me and I think I have literally tried everything with no luck at all I ve used every tip every given, and bought things advertised as being wonderful deterrents

Froglady Fri 19-Mar-21 09:30:03

I have about 3 cats walking through my garden at various times but they don't leave any little 'calling cards' for me. I don't mind them at all as I hope they keep the rats from calling.

Nell8 Fri 19-Mar-21 10:14:15

BlueBelle Good morning. I'm Nell8 not NellGsmile - actually you've confirmed my suspicions that this town ain't big enough for more than one Nell and I need to think about giving myself a more distinctive name!
I agree about the tiptoeing. I take it as a challenge and go higher and denser with my barricades. It's not necessarily a pretty sight!

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Mar-21 10:43:57

Oh yes. Forgot about cocoa shells and garlic... They didn't work either.
I suppose the truth is, all these (and especially in combinations) do work a bit.
None of them have solved the problem and I am still regularly moving poo (and treating the soil).

BlueBelle Fri 19-Mar-21 13:15:38

So sorry Nell8 yes definitely a name change or name tweak needed, too close for comfort ?
I ve been trying for years to find something to keep the little bxxxxxs out I don’t dislike cats I just don’t want them in my garden

mumstheword86 Fri 19-Mar-21 15:13:35

My recipe for stopping cats coming into my garden is clear the poo away and in the spot they do their business sprinkle Hot pepper dust like piri piri or chilli pepper they will soon get the message hot bottoms or noses It’s not harmful just they will keep out in future Works for me I always keep it on shelf to run out and apply it Good luck !!

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-Mar-21 22:48:27

I wish I had other people’s cats!

nanna8 Fri 19-Mar-21 22:56:32

Me too Notspaghetti. I can feel a new rescue cat coming on. I would love a nice little ginger Tom.

susieq3 Tue 23-Mar-21 12:56:24

Many thanks to all for your posts. I tried loudly banging on a tin with a wooden spoon when I spotted them, they ran very quickly. I have spotted them walking across the bottom of the garden to get to the houses either side but have had no poo since. ( yet ) !!