Gransnet forums

Gardening

Alpine Strawberries

(6 Posts)
V3ra Fri 16-Apr-21 00:06:22

I have them in pots in the garden for my minded children.
At the moment the flowers are starting to bloom, and the children know they must not pick them.
Soon we will watch the little fruits form but the children know they must wait until they are red.
Then they are allowed to pick and eat them whenever they want to. (The fruits are small and soft so there's little risk of choking).
The children love it, and it's a great learning experience in observation and patience! ?

I took a plant, a pot and a bag of compost to my granddaughter as a present and we planted it together.
She loves her alpine strawberry plant too ?

Nana3 Thu 15-Apr-21 22:58:41

Food for free ☺ and a delicacy.

Ngaio1 Thu 15-Apr-21 22:47:16

Thank you both. If the fruits are that tiny, I may put them in the front for the birds!!

hazel93 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:51:59

Unlike cultivated strawberries they are quite happy in poor soil, seem to survive drought, frost and anything in between !
We let the runners go, within reason, as they are great ground cover and the birds love the tiny fruits.

HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Apr-21 18:32:32

I think these are what are growing along the border of our driveway. They just appeared one year, and have been left to fend for themselves. They produce fruit each year, without feeding or any special watering. They just get on with it.

They are teeny tiny fruits, so I am assuming that they are alpine. I took some runners last year, most of which produced plants, and I'm hoping to grow some in the back garden this year (the plan was the block pave the driveway, so I wanted to try and save the plants - that plan has changed now).

Our front garden gets sun in the mornings and is shady in the afternoons, so they seem adapted to those conditions

Ngaio1 Thu 15-Apr-21 18:16:50

I was lucky enough to be given some alpine strawberry plants today. Do they require special treatment. I have a small garden so they will need to be in a container.