Gransnet forums

Gardening

Buttercups! Any more lovers of them?

(12 Posts)
Witzend Thu 17-Jun-21 11:24:13

I persuaded dh to leave this patch when mowing - I do love them. Our ‘lawn’ is more of a mini wildflower meadow anyway.

In the foreground is Spike O’Saurus, our prehistoric tortoise - I’m very fond of him, too.

DillytheGardener Thu 17-Jun-21 11:30:47

Spike o saurus is very handsome! Yes I have fond memories of my grandfather doing the do you like butter trick and holding a buttercup under my chin for it to turn yellow!

DillytheGardener Thu 17-Jun-21 11:30:47

Spike o saurus is very handsome! Yes I have fond memories of my grandfather doing the do you like butter trick and holding a buttercup under my chin for it to turn yellow!

dragonfly46 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:33:07

I love buttercups Witzend and I am very envious of your tortoise.

Redhead56 Thu 17-Jun-21 11:46:55

I have them and all over my garden and every other wild flower in my garden.

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 11:47:12

is that a real tortoise? smile I was bit by my cousin's tortoise which someone later stole from their garden angry

I love buttercups too, they seem to be in abundance this year

TerriBull Thu 17-Jun-21 12:13:56

I love buttercups too, weeds they may well be, but they remind me of my childhood, I quite like wild flowers and that uncultivated look myself.

Is it real ??? I had one once many years ago, he or she, we never quite discovered was called Shelley, after the poet my parents thought they were being clever grin

Witzend Thu 17-Jun-21 16:55:12

Not real, he’s a prehistoric one (no vet’s bills!) cast in bronze. We found him outside a little metal-worker’s shop in France - he’d been there the previous year, too, so we thought it was time he had a new home. ?

I’ve always been fond of tortoises - apart from goldfish my first pet was a tortoise called Timmy. My father always called him Percy Bysshe though.

AGAA4 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:01:49

I love buttercups too. Cheerful little flowers. We had 2 tortoises when we were children, Tommy and Tammy.

WishIwasyounger Thu 17-Jun-21 17:06:44

Oh I love buttercups, and have fond memories of childhood hiding in them: how tall they must have been!

Mattsmum2 Thu 17-Jun-21 17:21:57

This is my local common, lovely x

Callistemon Thu 17-Jun-21 17:27:12

I do like Spike O'Saurus and missing having a tortoise in the garden, must hunt for another one.

We have a lot of cinquefoil in an area of lawn which we don't cut, it's similar to buttercup but spreads too.
It's looking very pretty at the moment.