Gransnet forums

Gardening

I’m sure this will resonate with all the gardeners on here

(26 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:35:25

It does me?

Parsley3 Sat 25-Sep-21 10:37:26

And me. It is trial and error every time.

Esspee Sat 25-Sep-21 10:44:31

I always have more plants than space.?

Luckygirl Sat 25-Sep-21 10:48:57

Love that!

I will be driving past a wholesale nursery's final gate sale of the year today. How will I resist? .... well. I won't!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 25-Sep-21 10:49:54

Me too. Yesterday I was trying to find somewhere to cram in the latest plants I’d been seduced by. My husband said there might be a bare square inch just over there ...

Zoejory Sat 25-Sep-21 10:51:02

Love it! We have this exact problem.

Namsnanny Sat 25-Sep-21 10:52:14

?????? Thanks for that Whitewavemk2 sums me up I'm afraid, eyes bigger than my garden!

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 10:55:52

When it's 3 for 2 shrubs at the garden centre and you only really needed one it would be rude not to take up the offer!

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 10:56:36

Ps one is still in its pot and I have no idea where to put it hmm

Parsley3 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:02:39

Oh no, that shows what type of gardener I am. I read this as meaning where do I put them so they will thrive. ?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:03:35

I’ve just redone a complete bed and planting it up with everything for pollinators.

I can’t tell you the willpower I’ve had to use to restrain my buying.

It simply goes against the grain, but I’ve only used 4 different plants plus grasses - not yet planted - but lots of the same type.

Now I have to be patient and wait until next Jly-Oct. and even then probably better the year after that.

I hope I live that long ?

Namsnanny Sat 25-Sep-21 11:50:03

I hope I live that long
That's how I think! Now I buy larger plants, although I run the risk of them dying more easily, I know.
What pollinators did you choose Wwmk2?

Millie22 Sat 25-Sep-21 11:55:27

Imagine being at the Chelsea Flower Show I would be very poor and have an inclination to buy way too much ???????

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 12:39:09

Millie22

Imagine being at the Chelsea Flower Show I would be very poor and have an inclination to buy way too much ???????

All those wonderful clematis!
But for some reason they don't thrive here sad

MaizieD Sat 25-Sep-21 12:47:05

That's me, too grin

I admire your resolution, WwMk2 in clearing a bed to make a completely new planting. I can never bear to discard thriving plants...

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 12:50:55

It’s a crocus plan so. 10 echinacea magus, 7 phlox, a bright pink one - name escapes me. 5 agastache black adder and 5 agastache a cream one I can’t remember the name. I’m going to put in some grasses next spring as well.

Just keeping everything crossed that we don’t have a severe winter. I live in the coastal south so we mostly get away without very bad frosts but not every time and the agastache May suffer.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 12:52:06

MaizieD

That's me, too grin

I admire your resolution, WwMk2 in clearing a bed to make a completely new planting. I can never bear to discard thriving plants...

Oh they are all in pots ???? including some shrubs - almost certainly end up in the kids garden

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 12:52:56

Callistemon

Millie22

All those wonderful clematis!
But for some reason they don't thrive here sad

I’m on chalk so I’m lucky clematis love it.

Callistemon Sat 25-Sep-21 13:02:59

Even the Montana on a trellis looked as if it had died after the very cold snap last spring. It did grow back but we only got two flowers.
We're just debating how much to chop it back.

It's clay and limestone here but we have improved the soil.

LadyGracie Sat 25-Sep-21 13:15:15

That's me too! I say I'll find somewhere for it, I love a packed garden confused

lemongrove Sat 25-Sep-21 13:25:59

Zoejory

Love it! We have this exact problem.

So do we ? there’s barely an inch of spare room and yet we continue to buy....they go into pots!

nanaK54 Sat 25-Sep-21 13:29:15

Oh my goodness yes that's a real me too

toscalily Sat 25-Sep-21 13:36:40

Yes, resonates with me. Apart from space I can't afford all the plants that I really, really want.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 25-Sep-21 13:49:52

Love it! Nice to hear we're not the only ones!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Sep-21 16:53:11

It is ridiculous really, I’ve got to the stage of far too many pots and they are cluttering up everywhere so this autumn they are going! Either planted in the garden? or off to the kids or relatives or friends.