Gransnet forums

Gardening

Winter preparation ... lots to do

(83 Posts)
Kali2 Sat 09-Oct-21 13:26:36

Sun is out, but it is 'proper parky' out there. Hopefully tomorrow will be sunny and warmer- so will dress up warm and get going.

Have to cut off the heads of the Golden Rod- as it is a species that can spread quickly and it on the 'unwanted' list. I will put all the spent flower heads in a strong bin bag, tie it and leave it for 2 years hidden somewhere- then put at bottom of a compost heap before refilling on top.

Then cut stems, and stemps of other spent perenials, and cut up small and into compost. Some of the phlox in white, pink and dark pink are still going strong, and several autumn asters in different colours and sizes and many others- but the rest if ready to cut down. And pick the last of the raspberries- I always eat them as they are, no desserts, no jam, no nothing.

Snow could arrive anytime now- and as much as I love our garden and gardening, I also enjoy this period when the garden rests under thick snow- and I have more time to do other things.

I just love autumn- colours are changing all around us, and the light is magical. I think many people don't like autumn because it makes them aware winter is around the corner. But as I love winter, proper snow winter, cold and crisp, with that magical winter light - then that is OK for me.

What are you up to in the garden?

Kali2 Sun 24-Oct-21 15:24:27

We actually had apéro, lunch, dessert and coffee outside- it was gorgeous. No work done- but that's ok.

Grammy666 Tue 23-Nov-21 20:39:24

I came home from my allotment today with a long Spike of Blue Delphinium ... Beautiful ...

Grandpajo Wed 29-Dec-21 08:44:55

My wife found a big pile of leaves hidden behind a chair in the corner of the garden that I'd thought were safe but she found them so I have to black bag them up today and hide them again for leave mulch .

Aldom Wed 29-Dec-21 08:54:37

There's a bee in my garden. It's been around all of this mild December.

Kim19 Wed 29-Dec-21 08:58:24

I've just heard on forecast that it may be unseasonably mild for the next two days. If so I will attempt a further bit of tidying caused by recent winds and had weather in general. Look forward to it, in fact, as I'm certainly not a cold weather gardener.

fairfraise Wed 29-Dec-21 12:18:37

I found a green tomato on an outside plant when tidying up yesterday.

LadyGracie Wed 29-Dec-21 12:40:24

It's hardly stopped raining for nearly 2 weeks here in South Wales. I did manage to go out briefly and take a picture of my Christmas rose.