Gransnet forums

Gardening

Watering seedlings

(31 Posts)
Scentia Sun 06-Mar-22 21:13:49

I have 5 small trays of seeds in my spare room, they sit on a large tray so do I water them from the top or put water in the tray so they take it from the bottom?

Jaxjacky Sun 06-Mar-22 21:19:52

I water mine from the top Scentia to keep just damp with a small watering can that has a rose.

Sweetpeasue Sun 06-Mar-22 21:23:50

Yes, I do the same. I usually bring mine on in boxroom on windowledge too.

Josieann Sun 06-Mar-22 21:30:33

From the top, or they get soggy bottoms!

Scentia Sun 06-Mar-22 21:34:02

Lovely, thanks for your help folks.

3dognight Sun 06-Mar-22 21:37:20

A hand spray, just a small £2.00 one from wilkos, fill with cooled water from kettle, and mist them. That’s what I would do. Also popping into a poly bag can keep moisture in.
What are you germinating?

Hetty58 Sun 06-Mar-22 21:43:44

I'd mist them too. I use rainwater - or that collected by the dehumidifier - never tap water. My plant 'spray bottle' is a carefully washed out Febreze container (with a good fine misting action).

Scentia Sun 06-Mar-22 21:46:14

Carrots, peas, broccoli, sunflowers and Quaker Grass for my sensory garden.

3dognight Sun 06-Mar-22 21:51:06

Just looking at pics now.

Peas put directly into flowering place , net, and support when growing, remove netting for pollinators when starting to flower. I have never tried peas in a tray, I’ve seen them done in guttering then eased out into a prepared drill. Let us know how you get on.

Carrots also straight into growing area, and cover immediately with enviromesh. Thin, cover up and crop later. Let us know how your carrots do, if they transplant well.

Sunflowers? I did like you last year.
A big success, too big really.

Can’t see what others are.

Good luck and let us know how things grow x

3dognight Sun 06-Mar-22 21:55:57

Broccoli will be big plants , pot them on in their own little pot. You will know when they get too big and need next size. Home grown broccoli is a lovely thing. If they start to look sad give them a seaweed feed. grin

Scentia Sun 06-Mar-22 22:01:57

3dognight thanks for all the advice. I will certainly let you know how I get on. I am sure I will be back on here to ask more questions too!!

Casdon Sun 06-Mar-22 22:15:27

I can give you the lazy woman’s seedling tip for next year. I now grow mine in the plastic containers grapes come in from the supermarket. They have a hinged lid, and make perfect little seedling containers because as well as fitting on the windowsill, you don’t need to water them until your seeds have sprouted as the lid keeps them moist. Then when you want to put them outside you have a ready made mini coldframe if you put the lid back on at night.

Scentia Sun 06-Mar-22 22:19:33

Casdon that is a fine idea!!

Callistemon21 Sun 06-Mar-22 22:47:32

Some really good tips on here, thank you

Scentia Wed 16-Mar-22 08:13:17

Would you plant these sunflowers out now?? They are a bit leggy so I moved to more light!

silverlining48 Wed 16-Mar-22 08:22:58

Suggest re potting these in individual pots as it’s still too cold to plant outdoors .

Jaxjacky Wed 16-Mar-22 08:43:24

Agree with silverlining sunflowers are frost sensitive, pot them on.

J52 Wed 16-Mar-22 09:02:16

Time to pot them on. I wouldn’t put anything out yet, the cold nights and frost will kill them.
My seedings are in an unheated green house, do you have one or a cold frame for protection. If so they could go in there.

MaizieD Wed 16-Mar-22 09:02:34

The sunflower seedlings are nowhere near ready to plant out, anyway. They don't even have any true leaves yet. Grow them on in pots or module trays. You could try planting some of them quite deeply to shorten that leggy stem and note which make the sturdiest young plants.

Scentia Wed 16-Mar-22 13:17:46

Thanks, I will get some pots tomorrow and pot them on.

Scentia Thu 17-Mar-22 19:26:49

I got some small pots, not enough though!! Would you pot every seeding or just a few of each sort. I feel the carrot and grass are ok as they are at the moment. So should I buy more pots??

Scentia Thu 17-Mar-22 19:27:25

Picture to check I’ve done them right!!

Coastpath Thu 17-Mar-22 21:04:06

Inspired by Casdon to share my plastic recycling/seed planting tip.

I water my small pots and seed trays with a 'watering can' made from an old plastic milk bottle with lots of little holes in the lid which I made with a pin.

25Avalon Thu 17-Mar-22 22:20:15

Until they germinate and get roots they are not going to be able to get down to water. Water them sparingly from the top as you don’t want them to damp over. If you put a plastic bag over the top and secure it they won’t need much water as you will get condensation and an added benefit warmth.

25Avalon Thu 17-Mar-22 22:20:44

Damp off not over