Gransnet forums

Gardening

On a lighter note….Gardeners World returns tonight.

(82 Posts)
merlotgran Fri 11-Mar-22 09:19:49

And I cannot wait!

Just as in the first Lockdown, Monty’s calming presence, beautiful garden and lovely dogs should help to raise our spirits.

I was without a garden for six months of last year so now I’m raring to go in my new one.

Looking at the weather it won’t be today though. ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 08:47:52

Gertrude Jekyll was my model but it is very much more difficult than it looks I think.

merlotgran Tue 22-Mar-22 08:46:12

Whitewavemark2

That lady with her detailed plan of her glorious garden, reminded me of the plans drawn up by Gertrude Jekyll.

But I’m more like Monty said he was. I try to have a plan in my head but constantly moving stuff and changing things.

I did a garden design diploma in the middle year of studying for the RHS diploma (one day a week at hort. college.) It was pre software days and all our planting plans were expected to emulate Gertrude Jekyll.

Oh the headaches, trying to envisage the final picture. ?

toscalily Tue 22-Mar-22 08:22:52

Whitewavemark2, that is a beautiful photo. Spring at it's finest.

toscalily Tue 22-Mar-22 08:21:13

Finally caught up with this last night as Mr TL was wallowing in F1 Sat & Sun evening. I thought the chap up the tree was a bit reckless, no doubt the cameraman was scared stiff he might have to call an ambulance. I like to see the viewers gardens, even if it is not my style I can appreciate what they have done and their enjoyment in their own little plot. I could never be that organised with planning a garden, I'm more pop it in and fingers crossed.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 22-Mar-22 05:02:43

That lady with her detailed plan of her glorious garden, reminded me of the plans drawn up by Gertrude Jekyll.

But I’m more like Monty said he was. I try to have a plan in my head but constantly moving stuff and changing things.

merlotgran Mon 21-Mar-22 19:15:02

He's certainly got the curly hair! What a lovely photo.

Tina49 Mon 21-Mar-22 18:38:58

Isn’t Monty Don’s grandson George a cutie?!

lavendermine Sat 19-Mar-22 08:28:41

I love the programme. Agree the man at the top of the tree pruning was scarey. Lovely couple though, given up their business to focus on their gardens.
Fascinated by the first part, where the lady with all the plans, showed us around her huge garden, what dedication.

Millie22 Sat 19-Mar-22 08:11:14

I agree what was he doing? and he had an elf garden ?

merlotgran Sat 19-Mar-22 08:06:05

I could hardly bear to watch the elderly man cloud pruning the very top of a tree last night. ??

I can’t get higher than the third rung of a ladder these days.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 14-Mar-22 13:59:41

How did you get into my garden wwm? ?

JaneJudge Mon 14-Mar-22 13:51:09

Is that at Anglesey Abbey?

Grandmabatty Mon 14-Mar-22 13:40:39

WWM2 that is beautiful.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 14-Mar-22 13:22:40

Wow!

Grandmabatty Mon 14-Mar-22 09:20:06

I love watching 'Gardeners World'. I also like seeing real gardens from viewers, as there's always something new to consider. However the timings for planting etc wouldn't do in Central Scotland. And some of the flowers would struggle where I live. I watch Beechgrove for that.

Wigtown Mon 14-Mar-22 09:14:13

I agree totally Calendargirl. Useful, practical information and demonstrations are what I need. Oh how I long for the days of Geoff Hamilton. Sadly missed.

eagleswings Sun 13-Mar-22 23:18:28

Hope you’re right about Adam Frost Merlotgran and yes I meant Francis Tophill. Monty is lovely and of course he knows about gardening, but I always find myself learning more with Adam, who often sadly seemed to get hard landscaping gigs last season, which was such a waste of his gardening skills.
I think Monty deserves a change, he has been slogging away at Long Meadow for too long, there’s hardly any room left to plant anything new! And you never get a wide perspective of the garden, just tunnels. I think a lawn creates a meditative breathing space in a garden however big or small and sets of beautifully any flowers and shrubs grown. There are many of us who have moved from cities recently, who need solid basic gardening skills every week, along with keeping colour going all year, planting up borders, when and how to prune, when to plant brassicas and how to protect them and tips about lawn care etc etc I am afraid GW concentrates too much on the tropical jungle (even in the viewers excerpts) So many of our friends agree, that there is not enough on how to create a beautiful English garden however big or small. Happy gardening everyone..!

Jaxjacky Sun 13-Mar-22 21:59:04

Watched it earlier today. As someone who’s grown veg for the last 17 odd years flowers and other plants are a new world to me, so I’m happy to learn about growing most things.It’s a gentle, companionable programme.

Callistemon21 Sun 13-Mar-22 21:14:36

Fashionista1

I like Gardener's World but I wish they would focus more on the everyday problems of the ordinary gardener like for example where to plant, soil types for plants, pests and diseases and also how to lay out a border. In other words more general stuff. This week a woman was talking about growing cyclamen from seed which would probably take about 5 years! I like looking at other peoples gardens and also life on the allotment. A thoroughly enjoyable watch.

My cyclamen seem to have seeded all by themselves, especially in gravel.

Mind you, I was given the first one about 25 years ago by a work colleague.

Harris27 Sun 13-Mar-22 20:53:39

Was lovely seeing it again. Just what we need.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 13-Mar-22 18:28:36

I love GW and am happy with all the contributors. Some weeks are more interesting than others, but that’s inevitable when they’re covering so many different areas of gardening. I loved last nights episode, especially the green garden with Adam and the garden in the middle of a field and it’s lovely happy gardener, think his name is Andrew.
Not mad about the lady who gardens with her feet but applaud her efforts.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 13-Mar-22 17:23:25

Perhaps you should buy the magazine - it has loads of information for novices and seasoned gardeners alike and a Q&A section which regularly features pests.

Fashionista1 Sun 13-Mar-22 17:18:37

I like Gardener's World but I wish they would focus more on the everyday problems of the ordinary gardener like for example where to plant, soil types for plants, pests and diseases and also how to lay out a border. In other words more general stuff. This week a woman was talking about growing cyclamen from seed which would probably take about 5 years! I like looking at other peoples gardens and also life on the allotment. A thoroughly enjoyable watch.

singingnutty Sun 13-Mar-22 17:13:43

Well, from comments above it’s good to remember that you can’t please all of the people all of the time! If Monty retires I would choose Adam as a replacement but until then Monty is a brilliant presenter and obviously his garden is more varied than Adam’s because he has been there for some years. They both have their individual strengths.

merlotgran Sun 13-Mar-22 17:07:49

Sorry to disagree, eagleswings but are you suggesting Monty Don doesn't know his stuff? shock grin Since when has GW not been about how to garden?

Carol Klein, one of the most successful gardeners, journalist and Chelsea gold medal winner is a holder of the RHS Victoria Medal of Honour and yet has no formal horticultural qualifications.

I like Adam Frost and his garden is always a pleasure to look at because it's completely different from Longmeadow. I have a hunch he is being gradually set up as Monty Don's successor.

The viewers' contributions are just a few minutes long and as other experts (co presenters) are always included in each episode I really don't agree that we're being 'hived off'

The season is a long one so we will have months ahead of us to visit stunning gardens and listen to the advice of other experts.

BTW. Did you mean Frances Tophill?