Gransnet forums

Gardening

Reliable sunflowers please - NOT Russian Giant

(9 Posts)
Shandy57 Fri 11-Mar-22 17:19:49

Hello everyone, we are having a coffee morning in our street to raise money for DEC on March 20ieth.

I thought it would be nice to sell the national flower, the sunflower but am a bit boggled at all the choice.

Could anyone recommend a good grower please, that can be staked easily?

Kim19 Fri 11-Mar-22 20:20:57

Now, I've just bought and planted some SF seeds which I bought in Lidl for just 29p. Haven't done SF previously but have had great success with all the other species of flower seeds I've bought from them in the past. Great price and they certainly get my vote.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Mar-22 20:41:57

Simply seeds, who I’ve been using for years, are excellent quality and service, they have Giant Yellow which look about right 99p.

Jaxjacky Fri 11-Mar-22 20:43:53

PS originated in N America.

Shandy57 Fri 11-Mar-22 22:24:38

Thank you very much for your ideas, I hadn't realised there was so much choice. Not sure if we'll be doing it, the organiser emailed and said would have been good if it was the season for sunflowers - think we've had a miscommunication.

Esspee Sat 12-Mar-22 07:28:25

Now is the perfect time to plant sunflowers.

I think it’s such a lovely idea I am going out this morning to buy some seeds at Lidl. I will be giving a packet to all my friends and neighbours.

A small way of showing your heart is with these poor people in Ukraine.

You have probably seen this photo of the Duke of Wellington in Glasgow. The sunflowers are a ray of hope.

Esspee Sat 12-Mar-22 10:56:21

Have a look at the Gardener’s World website Shandy57. They have advice on growing them and recommendations about the best varieties.

Shandy57 Sat 12-Mar-22 12:44:52

Thanks Espee, had a look. No email from the coffee morning organiser, doesn't look as though she wants to do it.

Jaxjacky Sat 12-Mar-22 13:07:43

People in our village planted daffodil bulbs last year near the road name signs, they look delightful. The same group, plus others, will be sowing sunflower seeds in similar places soon.