Gransnet forums

Gardening

Aren’t Magnolias looking wonderful this year!

(42 Posts)
Leapingminnow Sun 20-Mar-22 10:46:55

That’s it really - so many beautiful ones near me, just had to mention them!

Esmay Sun 03-Apr-22 01:42:41

Tina - you learn something new everyday !
Thanks for the recipe.

Tina49 Thu 24-Mar-22 19:17:52

And - bizarrely - you can eat Magnolia petals!!
rootedfood.com/recipes/pickledmagnolia

Margiknot Thu 24-Mar-22 17:28:50

They are all coming out around us in the northern home counties, in lovely spring sunshine. Its worth going for a walk to see them!
Our little M Stellata ( in tight bud on Sunday) is now covered in white flowers, and our other little tree (grandiflora- with large pink flowers) is beginning to open. Thankfully the frost on Sunday night did not damage the tight buds!

Kim19 Thu 24-Mar-22 12:11:45

Yes, for the first time ever I can relate to that photo up here in the north. Previously my M only had a very few and sporadic flowers but right now it is covered. I'm so delighted.

JackyB Thu 24-Mar-22 11:09:22

Ours have been gradually opening - we have had nearly 3 weeks of continual bright sunshine, albeit frost at night.

This picture was taken just now, 24 March here in Southern Germany. I have no idea how old the tree is, it was here when we moved in in 1987.

TillyTrotter Wed 23-Mar-22 16:46:47

That’s very interesting info. Esmay. I have been to some open gardens today and seen wonder specimens of Magnolia’s and Camelia’s.
This was one of the prettiest Camelia’s.

Esmay Wed 23-Mar-22 15:13:36

I love Magnolias .
My father doesn't have one in his garden .
He needs one or rather I do !
They are tricky to propagate hence the price .
My favourite is Stellata
I've grown it and Soulangeana .
There are over 200 species of Magnolia .
They are old world plants.
Fossils of the cucumber
Magnolia date back to
20 million years.
And some are said to date back to 95 million
years .
They evolved before bees and were reliant on beetles for pollination .

TillyTrotter Tue 22-Mar-22 10:48:12

Here is a Magnolia on my friend’s drive yesterday.

BBbevan Mon 21-Mar-22 16:30:27

A couple near us have a large Magnolia Grandiflora in their front garden . It isn’t flowering yet, but when it does it is quite beautiful. Flowers the size of dinner plates and a lovely lemony smell.

silverlining48 Mon 21-Mar-22 16:26:59

Yes it really is Rosie. It wasnt even a hard frost. We are in the south, but its happened before.

Juliet27 Mon 21-Mar-22 16:25:06

I envy you your jacarandas nanna8

Rosie51 Mon 21-Mar-22 16:23:33

Oh silverlinings48 how disappointing. Such a shame.

silverlining48 Mon 21-Mar-22 16:21:39

Ours were caught by last nights frost. All the flowers are now brown and shriveled, will have to wait for next year now.

Ali23 Sun 20-Mar-22 21:41:12

The magnolias and Camelias are lovely around here too. I noticed that many of the buds have opened today. Spring has sprung, hooray!

cornergran Sun 20-Mar-22 21:11:00

We’re in Somerset. Not far from the sea. I’d always coveted magnolias and ours was the first thing planted when we moved here 9 years ago. It has an enormous number of buds, many three quarters open now. The best it’s been. The camellia is in a large tub, always flowering well this year it has the most flowers it has ever had. Like all in our garden both survive on benign neglect and have been lifting my fairly squashed spirits .

Grannybags Sun 20-Mar-22 20:50:59

I love Magnolias and wish I had enough room for one

Camelias seem to be doing really well this year., covered in flowers.

Rosie51 Sun 20-Mar-22 20:42:34

I don't have a magnolia but neighbours do. Both in front gardens, the neighbours opposite have a beautiful magnolia stellata that is absolutely covered in blooms. A few gardens down from them have a beautiful pink tulip magnolia also covered with blooms this year. I get to enjoy both at once smile

Pammie1 Sun 20-Mar-22 20:13:49

There’s a mature Magnolia tree in the back garden of the house that backs on to ours. It’s normally lovely and we look forward to it blooming each year but I have to say this year it seems to be particularly gorgeous - heavy with blooms and the most gorgeous colours. I have a Camellia in the front garden and it’s still in tight bud but it’s absolutely full of them and I’m really looking forward to it blooming. With all the terrible things going on in the world, I think these are the little things that make us glad to be alive and aware of how lucky we are.

Nightsky2 Sun 20-Mar-22 19:49:30

My Magnollias and Camellias are looking fantastic. SW

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 20-Mar-22 19:40:18

Ladyleftfieldlover

My Stella magnolia is having its best year yet.

Here it is:

TillyTrotter Sun 20-Mar-22 19:34:39

Ahh that’s a pretty little Magnolia grandMattie .

TillyTrotter Sun 20-Mar-22 19:33:42

I will keep my fingers crossed Shelflife and hope for sunshine for your son getting married on Friday.
I think you may be lucky ☀️
Have a great day!
I have noticed Camelias in all their beauty for a few weeks now and the Magnolias are not far behind.

grandMattie Sun 20-Mar-22 19:22:20

My little tree put in last spring.

muse Sun 20-Mar-22 19:22:02

Cornwall and my Stellata Magnolia is still in bud. Had it three years now and every year there are more and more buds.

Fennel Sun 20-Mar-22 19:17:00

We haven't got magnolia but our camelia buds are bursting out for the first tme in 5 years.
Surely due to global warming ?.