Gransnet forums

Gardening

Aren’t Magnolias looking wonderful this year!

(41 Posts)
Leapingminnow Sun 20-Mar-22 10:46:55

That’s it really - so many beautiful ones near me, just had to mention them!

aggie Sun 20-Mar-22 10:55:56

Mine are still in tight bud

henetha Sun 20-Mar-22 10:58:01

Yes they are. The one in next door's garden is magnificent this year and as usual I am full of envy and wish I had one.
My camellias have been lovely too though.

nanna8 Sun 20-Mar-22 10:58:32

Ours have been good this year,too. World wide then ?

JaneJudge Sun 20-Mar-22 10:59:48

and Camelias I've noticed!

silverlining48 Sun 20-Mar-22 11:32:01

My huge beautiful magnolia tree usually covered with blossom, has few flowers this year. Many branches with only tiny buds while what is out is very sparse. It’s an old tree and wonder if it’s on its way out, which would be such a shame.

MiniMoon Sun 20-Mar-22 11:37:26

Ours are still in buds. The large, well established magnolia in our garden was full of buds last year, but the cold spring and frosty nights froze them all and we didn't have a single flower.
This year it only has about half a dozen buds. I'm rather disappointed.

silverlining48 Sun 20-Mar-22 11:38:43

Whereabouts are you MiniMoon, I am in the south east,

toscalily Sun 20-Mar-22 11:40:09

I noticed yesterday some lovely ones in flower and some still only in bud, also a Camellia in full bloom whereas my Camellia in a pot only has buds.

M0nica Sun 20-Mar-22 13:34:02

I have yet to see a magnolia in bloom this year - they are all still in bud.

Greenfinch Sun 20-Mar-22 13:40:33

Returning from shopping this morning I pointed out to DH how beautiful the magnolias were in the gardens we drove past (Berkshire)

MrsEggy Sun 20-Mar-22 14:16:24

Our magnolia is stunning this year, full of blossom and so far frost free. It's at least 45 years old. We're in the West Midlands.

Katie59 Sun 20-Mar-22 17:53:35

Mine are just opening, just in time for the frost forecast for the next few nights!.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 20-Mar-22 18:03:42

My Stella magnolia is having its best year yet.

Margiknot Sun 20-Mar-22 18:06:23

Our young trees are in bud (both) so not yet in flower, but a couple of mature trees locally are just coming out in flowers. The forecast for frost is a worry. Last year ( spring sunshine followed by hard frosts) I covered them both in protective fleece but we still lost all the flowers to frost.

Shelflife Sun 20-Mar-22 18:12:04

My magnolia is beautiful! Just burst into bloom in time for my son's wedding on Friday! Just hope the sun shines now .

Fennel Sun 20-Mar-22 19:17:00

We haven't got magnolia but our camelia buds are bursting out for the first tme in 5 years.
Surely due to global warming ?.

muse Sun 20-Mar-22 19:22:02

Cornwall and my Stellata Magnolia is still in bud. Had it three years now and every year there are more and more buds.

grandMattie Sun 20-Mar-22 19:22:20

My little tree put in last spring.

TillyTrotter Sun 20-Mar-22 19:33:42

I will keep my fingers crossed Shelflife and hope for sunshine for your son getting married on Friday.
I think you may be lucky ☀️
Have a great day!
I have noticed Camelias in all their beauty for a few weeks now and the Magnolias are not far behind.

TillyTrotter Sun 20-Mar-22 19:34:39

Ahh that’s a pretty little Magnolia grandMattie .

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 20-Mar-22 19:40:18

Ladyleftfieldlover

My Stella magnolia is having its best year yet.

Here it is:

Nightsky2 Sun 20-Mar-22 19:49:30

My Magnollias and Camellias are looking fantastic. SW

Pammie1 Sun 20-Mar-22 20:13:49

There’s a mature Magnolia tree in the back garden of the house that backs on to ours. It’s normally lovely and we look forward to it blooming each year but I have to say this year it seems to be particularly gorgeous - heavy with blooms and the most gorgeous colours. I have a Camellia in the front garden and it’s still in tight bud but it’s absolutely full of them and I’m really looking forward to it blooming. With all the terrible things going on in the world, I think these are the little things that make us glad to be alive and aware of how lucky we are.

Rosie51 Sun 20-Mar-22 20:42:34

I don't have a magnolia but neighbours do. Both in front gardens, the neighbours opposite have a beautiful magnolia stellata that is absolutely covered in blooms. A few gardens down from them have a beautiful pink tulip magnolia also covered with blooms this year. I get to enjoy both at once smile