Gransnet forums

Gardening

Do you tell the truth ?

(36 Posts)
vickymeldrew Sun 27-Mar-22 19:42:42

Today is Mother’s Day in the UK and many of us have had flowers from our sons and daughters delivered. Some of those flowers are already wilting or of poor quality. My question is -when you thank them for the bouquet, are you honest about the quality, or do you do what I do and say they were lovely etc. etc.
I would hate to hurt feelings but am conscious that sometimes people don’t get what they pay for!

Farmor15 Sun 27-Mar-22 23:35:36

Received a gorgeous bouquet today, ordered by family from local florist - I shared a photo so they could see how nice they were.

Chestnut Mon 28-Mar-22 00:00:36

In February my daughter bought me some cut roses which lasted four weeks. It's a record. Last weekend she bought some more flowers (another place) which lasted about three days. It's very much pot luck, but you are likely to get poor quality for Mother's Day orders I think.

Namsnanny Mon 28-Mar-22 17:35:52

BBbevan

I had Fifty narcissi from Scilly. I often send them to others myself. Absolutely lovely and always fresh.
This year DS sent them and they are now scenting the whole house

I love scented narcissi, but sometimes in the supermarkets, they are already open and dont last too long.

So, Thank you BBbevan for writing the above because I've treated myself to 100 scented Narcissi from Scilly, and booked a week stay on the farm for next spring!
Flowers should come by Wed/Thursday, and next year I can see the flowers in the field, and then buy my own.

LauraNorderr Mon 28-Mar-22 17:46:28

No cards or flowers for me this year as I asked my sons to donate money they would have spent to mums in Ukraine.
Had lovely WhatsApp messages instead and am more than happy with that.
Enjoying all of your lovely flower photos.

LauraNorderr Mon 28-Mar-22 17:48:05

Sorry, ignored the question. I have done the same as seacliff in the past.

Daisymae Mon 28-Mar-22 17:52:48

I would never complain but I would contact the company myself. One year roses that I sent to my DD were actually wilting, she contacted the company and they replaced. She did let me know as they arrived on Christmas Eve and were dead by Boxing Day.

grannyactivist Mon 28-Mar-22 22:13:38

After getting home from my mum’s funeral in mid February I received lots of flowers from friends and family. Just as those flowers came to an end I became ill and new batches arrived, Those lasted right up until Mother’s Day and Floral offerings from three of my four children - with chocolates from the fourth. My sons hand delivered my flowers, but my daughter sent me a box from Bloom and Wild - the third she’s sent me this year - and although they arrive looking half dead they perk up and soon look gorgeous and last very well.

My daughter in NZ sent me a plant last month via Moonpig and it was dead within a couple of days. I sent the company photo’s and they replaced it straight away. I didn’t tell my daughter as she would have been dreadfully upset.

Living in Devon I was lucky that my son not only delivered my flowers himself, but he’d baked some scones too and we had a delicious cream tea together with his lovely wife and my granddaughter. ?

Elizabeth27 Mon 28-Mar-22 22:53:53

I thank the person that sent them via Whattsapp with a picture then they can see the quality. You cannot rely on reviews as the buyer is asked for the review and they are often told the flowers were lovely when they were not.

crazyH Mon 28-Mar-22 23:08:30

I always appreciate anything that’s given to me, even if it means telling a lie. The only person I might tell the truth to, is my daughter, simply because she is not sensitive…..takes it in her stride. Mind you, at other times, I would like her to be more sensitive and sympathetic ?

jeanie99 Sat 02-Apr-22 08:21:02

I always received Thornton's chocolates, they don't wilt long in the box.