Gransnet forums

Gardening

Anyone going to bother with growing veg this year?

(123 Posts)
GillT57 Sat 02-Apr-22 17:31:31

I have to be clear; I am no great gardener, but a keen amateur. I have a small greenhouse and usually grown cucumbers, tomatoes, sometimes lettuce, sometimes courgettes. I have stopped growing courgettes because the plants take up so much room and I never seem to grow many, besides which, in the summer they are really cheap in the shops. But, I love UK grown tomatoes and generally have a few plants. Last year, like many, mine suffered from last minute blight so not only did I have a very small crop, no seeds, and had to bin the compost. This year, with gro bags at around a fiver each, I am wondering whether it is worth it, maybe just grow flowers for the house instead. Anyone else still planning on salad stuff or changed their mind this year?

HazelGreen Mon 04-Apr-22 12:46:21

The only successful crop apart from raspberries is runner beans which I have grown for over 45 yrs and in very small space. I have a small raised bed that I pile up with leaf mould and compost and it produces a great crop every year, enough for two of us for 2 and half months. I do not bother with freezing any surplus as not the same. The only problem is getting them up to few inches high as voracious slugs will gobble them when small. So I sprout them in pots first on garden table in sheltered spot.

Sweetpea60 Mon 04-Apr-22 12:55:42

We have an allotment and will be growing loads of potatoes, runner beans squashes,and cuecumbers, we always get a good crop of potatoes and I'm still useing ones we grew last year they store really well in our shed and just take them as needed.

GrammaH Mon 04-Apr-22 12:58:58

We have a large veg garden, it's DH's domain snd he'll be growing all the usual- peas, many types of bean, potatoes onions, parsnips, squash, courgettes cauliflower, cavalo nero, kale, spinach, beetroot & so on, plus strawberries raspberries & currants. He loves doing it, often aided by the 2 GSs and what better than fresh fruit and veg? We're very lucky.

Treetops05 Mon 04-Apr-22 13:06:18

Plant straight into the ground, they don't need grow gags or compost. Mine grow brilliantly when I can be bothered to walk down the garden. Much joy in gardening, good luck x

Theoddbird Mon 04-Apr-22 13:09:27

Last year I grew all the tomatoes I needed right through until the autumn. I also grew all my salad leaves and sugarsnap peas. I has carrots as well. I grew all in veg buckets on my jetty. Will do again this year...have the seeds. I have joined the community allotment in the village and will grow potatoes and courgettes there plus more.

singingnutty Mon 04-Apr-22 13:39:09

We get varied results from veg grown in the garden raised beds - last year beetroot, courgettes and broad beans did well but carrots were not good and brassicas annihilated by caterpillars as several people have said. However, we covered purple sprouting broccoli with netting and are now eating the shoots most days. We grow tomatoes and cucumbers in the greenhouse and these usually do well but the only problem is that I spend 8 or 9 months of the year moaning about the lack of taste and quality in the ones we have to buy after our crops are finished. The last few years I have also grown bush toms in pots outside and they have been superb. Too much to hope for success again this year but the seedlings are doing well so fingers crossed!

libra10 Mon 04-Apr-22 14:02:41

We always grow tomatoes, especially the cherry ones, also large tomatoes for delicious soups.

We also grow cucumbers, strawberries, runner beans, onions and lettuce.

We've also ordered plug plants for baskets and containers. We just need the weather to be out there.

Sawsage2 Mon 04-Apr-22 15:26:27

I have an apple tree and a pear tree, that's it for me.

MaggsMcG Mon 04-Apr-22 15:46:41

I've stuck a few seed potatoes in a pot already and they had started growing but I covered them up with more potting compost before it froze. I have also put a few in the garden but I suspect they have now frozen so wont grow. I have planted a few tomato seeds but I don't mind if they don't grow. I will plant a few green beans later in the month but again if they don't grow I don't worry about it. I will also tip a whole packet of carrot seeds in one pot and spring onion seeds in another. I just like watching them grow. I seem to be very lucky with carrot and thy taste so nice when I eat them in December and January. Im not really a gardener other than cutting the lawn and the hedge which I took over just before my husband died because he wasn't able to do it any more.

Shirls52000 Mon 04-Apr-22 16:07:45

I had some fabulous tomatoes and strawberries last year but this year I m going for colour so it’s going to be flowers all the way, veg from the supermarket

SpringyChicken Mon 04-Apr-22 16:17:44

Thankfully, we have an allotment too. We are still using up the potatoes and onions grown last year. Still have runner beans, parsnip, raspberries and blueberries, cooking apples and rhubarb in the freezer. In the last couple of weeks, husband has brought home some asparagus, carrots and purple sprouting broccoli. Last year’s crops were brilliant and I hardly bought any veg during the summer. We grow tomatoes, peppers (not very well) cucumbers and lettuce in the greenhouse at home.

DeeJaysMum Mon 04-Apr-22 17:22:39

I bought one of the gardening magazines a couple of months ago with loads of free seeds, most of which I would never use due to allergies.
On Saturday, I was passing our local village community garden and there were actually people in there for a change, so I stopped and had a chat and told them I'd drop the seeds in to them next time I was passing.
I went home and grabbed the seeds, a raspberry bush in a pot that I'd cut right back to almost nothing last year but is looking pretty healthy again, several pots and small troughs that I'm never going to use again and I found some potato and tomato fertilisers too. I dumped them in the car and drove back to the garden and dropped them all off.
They've told me that I'm welcome to pop in later in the year once all the fruit and veg they're planting is ready to harvest and I can have some.
I think this is a fantastic idea, locals can go in and help around the garden, kids can learn about how our food is grown and especially with the increases in the cost of living, many people can benefit from all the stuff grown, no-one has to donate anything but I think a small donation of seeds, cash, time etc would mean you can benefit from locally grown food as well as helping lots of others to enjoy it too.

DeeJaysMum Mon 04-Apr-22 17:26:52

I've also just ordered some plug plants of giant strawberries and could only get them by the dozen so I'll keep half, give a few to my best friend and donate a few to the community garden too, I'm sure the kids visiting the garden later in the summer will enjoy those!

Rosamund1954 Mon 04-Apr-22 17:27:31

I must grow runner beans there's nothing like a fresh runner straight from the garden

Grammaretto Mon 04-Apr-22 17:53:05

I will certainly be growing vegetables this year. I had great success last year with potatoes using the no dig method thanks to charlesdowding.co.uk
The cost of food is only going up and home grown is so fresh and good for you. I have a greenhouse and a raised bed to make things easy. I have also invested in a battery charged lawnmower, so much easier than the big petrol one now I'm on my own.

NotTooOld Mon 04-Apr-22 18:12:15

Runner beans, parsnips and tomatoes were a disaster last year, so not bothering with them. We have planted potatoes in the tiny veg garden and in the trough we have salad leaves, carrots, cress and parsley. I love having fresh salad all through the summer, much nicer than the supermarket stuff in bags. Not sure if it is actually worthwhile from a financial point of view but we like to see the stuff grow - if it does. hmm

MollyG Mon 04-Apr-22 19:04:53

It’s more essential this year than ever!

Rosie51 Mon 04-Apr-22 19:43:35

Chewbacca I love fuchsias, and even in my very small garden have 8 hardy ones and I always have baskets with them in. One basket in almost permanent shade usually gets planted with 4 because they flower so well for me there. I can't believe I've been carefully picking off these fruits and binning them because I didn't know they were edible! I'm going to enjoy them this year, thanks for the info. flowers

dayvidg Mon 04-Apr-22 19:55:16

Runner beans, green beans, carrots, radish, potatoes and tomatoes.

Joesoap Mon 04-Apr-22 20:40:56

I had a hip replacement last year so couldnt do a lot of things in the garden, it was frustrating so this year I am determined to make up for last year, I was so miserable, as there is nothing quite like growing your own tomatoes etc.
I hope eveyone enjoys their products this year, have a lovely summer.

Milest0ne Mon 04-Apr-22 21:05:05

BLUE BELLE. Do make sure that the horses have not been eating grass which is treated with a herbicide as it will take several years to leach out of the compost. worst case scenario--- your seedlings won't grow and other plants will be stunted and deformed

weeducky Mon 18-Apr-22 14:06:49

Agree with Molly G. We have just eaten our last parsnips and leeks which I must say were the best I have ever grown. Just planted out some lettuce yesterday and blow me the pigeons had a feast overnight but did leave me with a couple! They are now caged in ... the lettuces I mean and not the pigeons!! Lucky to have a small greenhouse so have started off lots of different veggies plus started my tomatoes and aubergines in a spare bedroom. Growing carrots and potatoes in bags this year as they take up so much space Just off to sow this years parsnips. Happy gardening everyone smile