Gransnet forums

Gardening

My lemon tree?

(28 Posts)
Daisymae Sun 03-Apr-22 19:12:46

I started this off from a pip last year. Planted 3 and one took, on the window sill. Just to see if I could, not really expecting lemons!

PECS Sun 03-Apr-22 19:17:04

Oh well that looks good! May take a while for blossom & lemons but probably will in a year or two.

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 19:24:43

Oh that's lovely!
Well done. smile

Daisymae Sun 03-Apr-22 19:32:34

Thank you. Grow your own house plant.....

Trisha57 Sun 03-Apr-22 19:41:25

Wow - that's amazing! I've tried to grow a lemon tree from a pip a couple of times with no success whatsoever. I did once grow an avocado plant from a stone but it was pretty boring looking, to be honest and I gave it away! I've also got a loquat tree in a pot the garden that I started from a stone about 18 years ago that is about 5 feet tall now but it never flowers or fruits . You've inspired me to save some pips from the next lemon I use and give it another go! Thank you smile

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 19:44:49

I have a pineapple tree plant in my kitchen that I grew from floating the top of a cut up one in water.

Trisha57 Sun 03-Apr-22 19:51:25

MissAdventure, I've done that with carrots and parsnips with the GC but a pineapple - really exotic! I'll try that too grin

MissAdventure Sun 03-Apr-22 19:54:08

I do it with lettuces, onions, spring ones and the usual.
2 for the price of one, as I see it. smile

echt Mon 18-Apr-22 05:23:51

I have an espaliered lemon tree (Melbourne), and wish I'd known that all little fruits should be taken off for the first two years.

It now fruits quite well, though they are extremely thick-skinned. And the possums love them. Their trick is to neatly remove all the peel, leaving a perfectly nude lemon on the ground. hmm

Daisymae Mon 18-Apr-22 08:02:06

echt

I have an espaliered lemon tree (Melbourne), and wish I'd known that all little fruits should be taken off for the first two years.

It now fruits quite well, though they are extremely thick-skinned. And the possums love them. Their trick is to neatly remove all the peel, leaving a perfectly nude lemon on the ground. hmm

I think that my tree is going to be safe from possums ?

giulia Tue 19-Apr-22 07:42:32

What a coincidence! I just saw yesterday (and copied down instructions on how to grow lemons from seed!

Thought I'd like to share this experiment with with my little grandsons.

If anyone interested, I can pass on the tip.

Daisymae Tue 19-Apr-22 08:25:30

I just put 3 pips in a pot on the window sill. One took. Have just done the same with oranges, put them in a propagator as it's on. Would be interested in your tip though.

Esmay Tue 19-Apr-22 08:44:47

I haven't done this since school .
It was fun .
Any tips ?

lixy Tue 19-Apr-22 09:11:28

What a lovely (and free!) plant - bet it smells good too. Congratulations. smile

nanna8 Tue 19-Apr-22 09:39:01

Our lemon tree has got gall wasp which seems to be all round our area. I cut it all out once but it was 7 years before we got any lemons after that so I am just leaving it this time. We get loquats everywhere, they just spring up themselves . The fruits are nice but 3 large pips per fruit is a bit much. We also have an avo but it hasn’t fruited and I am not sure if it will, too far south. It is about 8 foot tall now.

Framilode Tue 19-Apr-22 09:47:29

We have a lemon tree in the conservatory. I put it outside during the summer, which it seems to prefer.

We always get at least half a dozen full size lemons each year. I think we would get more if I spent a bit of time cross pollinating the flowers.

giulia Tue 19-Apr-22 10:03:47

Daisymae

I just put 3 pips in a pot on the window sill. One took. Have just done the same with oranges, put them in a propagator as it's on. Would be interested in your tip though.

You place a few, well-spaced, on folded kitchen paper in a plastic food box. Spray. Coer seeds with another sheet of kitchen paper. Spray again. Close box and keep in shaded spot 15 days. Remove the germinated seeds with tweezers and place each into a separate pot filled with acidofilous soil (obviously root down. Press soil lightly and coer seed with just 1cm soil. Spray well and put pot into largish fridge food bag which you close and leave in shady spot 30 days.

The bit that flumoxes me is that you are supposed to remove the slippery film around the seed with tweezers before starting the whole process. I can't seem to do this - so fiddly and my fingers are rheumaticky and clumsy.

giulia Tue 19-Apr-22 10:05:24

Trisha57

Wow - that's amazing! I've tried to grow a lemon tree from a pip a couple of times with no success whatsoever. I did once grow an avocado plant from a stone but it was pretty boring looking, to be honest and I gave it away! I've also got a loquat tree in a pot the garden that I started from a stone about 18 years ago that is about 5 feet tall now but it never flowers or fruits . You've inspired me to save some pips from the next lemon I use and give it another go! Thank you smile

I agree that avocado plants from seed are boring!

henetha Tue 19-Apr-22 10:06:44

That looks brilliant Daisymae, and healthier than mine.
Two have survived out of six which i planted last year. The best one is now about 12 inches tall. The other one needs potting on I think.

giulia Tue 19-Apr-22 10:06:56

MissAdventure

I have a pineapple tree plant in my kitchen that I grew from floating the top of a cut up one in water.

Photo please!

MissAdventure Tue 19-Apr-22 14:36:55

smile

giulia Tue 19-Apr-22 15:06:08

MissAdventure

smile

Wow! Most impressive. In with another plant I see.

giulia Sun 08-May-22 16:38:16

Hey Ho! Three of my pips have sprouted roots in two weeks.
Have now planted them in acidofilous soil, covered in plastic and must leave undisturbed for one month.

Am quite excited! Silly me!

Mamardoit Sun 08-May-22 16:59:52

I got a pineapple top too grow during lock down so it's in its third year. I read somewhere that they fruit in year four. It is a massive plant and a bit unstable.

I also have some little mango plants grown from seed. Not sure what I'm going to do with them.

Callistemon21 Sun 08-May-22 17:03:08

Fruit trees grown from seed may take years to produce fruit; if you want to grow them just for fun (I have) you need to be patient.

If you want them to produce fruit then it's best to buy grafted trees.