Gransnet forums

Gardening

African violets really do love a cuppa!

(30 Posts)
giulia Tue 26-Apr-22 06:37:48

A little while back, on a thread which was nothing to do with gardening, a user made a throw-away comment about how her african violets love tea.

I am one of those who adore these flowers but after their first flowering just keep on sprouting a healthy crown of boring leaves but nothing else. I care for them lovingly for as long as I have the patience then guiltily throw them out.

I decided to try watering them by sitting themin diluted cold tea and a little over a month later I can see evidence of new buds forming in several different points of the plant.

Whoopee! If you are like me I recommend trying this trick.

Auntieflo Tue 26-Apr-22 08:59:25

Worth a try with my Peace Lily. It has sent up only one flower bud this year, as last year, I think. It looks very healthy, loads of glossy leaves, just no flowers.

Witzend Tue 26-Apr-22 09:06:56

This reminds me of my mother, who saved all her tea leaves to put round the base of her garden azaleas. They were invariably absolutely covered with a mass of flowers.

Margiknot Tue 26-Apr-22 09:12:53

My Nana used to tip the dregs from her tea cup in the saucer if her African violet. It seemed an odd thing to do but the plant seemed to like it

MissAdventure Tue 26-Apr-22 09:15:02

I give all of my plants the odd cuppa.

MacCavity2 Tue 26-Apr-22 09:15:54

Any tips for peace lily would be gratefully received.

25Avalon Tue 26-Apr-22 09:49:21

African violets like azaleas are acid lovers so a drop of tea gives them a boost. Camellias are the same but also won’t form flowers if they dry out in the summer so I always keep them watered in hot weather with tea dregs.

midgey Tue 26-Apr-22 09:54:35

Auntieflo sounds like you are being too kind to your peace lily!

25Avalon Tue 26-Apr-22 10:10:44

I have this problem with my peace Lily. Apparently they only flower when mature and these days commercial growers simulate that with a special artificial hormone rather than wait for it to do so naturally. The plant may therefore not flower again for sometime. Also they like a certain temperature and moisture. I still can’t get mine to re-flower probably because I need plants that thrive on neglect!

annodomini Tue 26-Apr-22 10:23:25

I've had my peace lily for 18 months. It looks a bit 'peaky' and hasn't flowered at all recently. I'm wondering about re-potting it and splitting it as it might be a bit cramped in its pot.

SueDonim Tue 26-Apr-22 13:25:36

I wonder if it would work for orchids? I have two in my house that are using up windowsill space and providing me with nothing but leaves! I’ve had orchids before and they reflowered but these two are lazy little so-and-so-es. grin

giulia Tue 26-Apr-22 19:23:35

SueDonim

I wonder if it would work for orchids? I have two in my house that are using up windowsill space and providing me with nothing but leaves! I’ve had orchids before and they reflowered but these two are lazy little so-and-so-es. grin

I read somewhere that for orchids you give one ice cube every week to stimulate new flowers. I used to have several and found that they need about six months to re-flower.

Auntieflo Tue 26-Apr-22 19:28:48

Anno, I did wonder whether to try splitting my peace lily, as it seems to be quite crowded in it's pot. However, there is a school of thought that if a plant is pot bound, it will be persuaded to flower.
I am going to try the dilute tea drink, and see how it goes.

SueDonim Tue 26-Apr-22 21:56:02

An ice cube instead of watering, Giulia? I’ll try that - they’ve had six months and more. I’ll tell them they’re on their last warning. grin

CanadianGran Tue 26-Apr-22 23:28:48

My peace lily is constantly in flower, but I can't say what I am doing right. Neglect perhaps... it sits by my front door with not a lot of light, constant drafts, and I water it when it wilts.

I haven't had African violets for years. We hardly see them now in stores, they were popular 20 years ago but i think have fallen out of favour which is too bad because they are cheerful little plants.

My orchids look awful now, but I have had some success in the past when I roughed up the root system a bit. Took them out of the pot, loosened the potting mix, gave them a soak and put them back in the same mix with a bit of plant food. I need to do that again.

giulia Wed 27-Apr-22 11:52:10

SueDonim

An ice cube instead of watering, Giulia? I’ll try that - they’ve had six months and more. I’ll tell them they’re on their last warning. grin

Good luck! I don't know where I read it....I think on GransNet!
Have not tried it myself but know of somebody who uses this system so it must work.

Aepgirl Wed 27-Apr-22 12:03:54

I water most of my indoor plants with cold tea and they seem to like it. Just remember not to water them near your carpet!

TwinLolly Wed 27-Apr-22 12:15:36

My mother lovingly tended to her African violets over the years. But... flowers? Zilch in return for all her love. One year we went on holiday and she didn't put them in the bath with a bit of water with the other plants (we usually did that when we went away so we didn't have to worry about our indoor plants dying). Needless to say... the African violets were in desperate bloom when we got back! grin

Susiewakie Wed 27-Apr-22 12:17:17

I have 2 orchids on sunny windowsill water occasionally one has reflowered once in 4 years .The other has 2 flower stalks growing and has flowered every year since I got it 4 years ago .It was blue but now gives me a delicate white and pink flower

Franbern Wed 27-Apr-22 12:23:02

Peace Lilies had the advantage of helping to keep the air in any room in which the, are fresher and purer. So good to have even without flowering.

I have three, all looking very healthy, but just one flower is there on one of them. I spray the leaves with water occasionally, and use a general feed once a month. Will try tea from now on and let you know how that goes.

pollychat Wed 27-Apr-22 12:27:25

Cold tea sounds a very good idea for plants, it certainly works for irish brack!

missdeke Wed 27-Apr-22 12:27:31

My Peace Lily flowers frequently, it flowers when stressed. So let the compost dry out completely and it will start sending up an flower shoot. When it's completely dry stand the pot in a sink of water and leave for a few hours, (they are root drinkers). You should then start to get fllowering plants.

nipsmum Wed 27-Apr-22 15:17:12

I don't know about African violets but after about 12 years of no flowers I started putting used coffee grounds round my Hydrangea and last year I had many flowers for the first time.

DeeJaysMum Wed 27-Apr-22 16:08:52

Despite having previously had both a husband and partner who were professional horticulturalists, I can kill almost any plant (even cacti) but peace lilies absolutely thrive for some of reason.
I do know that they actually like to be drowned and droughted.
I water heavily then don't give them a single drop until the leaves start to droop, then they get another drowning and they perk up practically before my eyes.
If you're going to move one into a bigger pot only go up one pot size per year, so about an inch or 2-2.5cm.
If you're thinking of splitting one, go gently, tease the roots apart and put each new plant into a pot that only gives the roots about 0.5inch or 1-1.5cm space to grow in it's first year as they're more comfortable if they're quite snug in their pots.
One final point, most flowering plants like an occasional treat of an essential oil from another flowing plant in their water, so maybe 3 times a year I put a few drops of maybe rose or geranium oil into my jug of water and share it around all the plants, just don't give rose oil to roses, geranium oil to geraniums etc.

MadGrandma Wed 27-Apr-22 16:45:11

I use cold tea (without milk) to water all my houseplants. My christmas cactus which normally flowers just once around November has had another 2 bursts of flowers since last year!