Gransnet forums

Gardening

Cordyline pruning

(7 Posts)
mokryna Sun 19-Jun-22 14:04:06

Has anyone had success in shortening a candy line either in cutting off the top or cutting from the bottom. As you can see my 5 year old is tall and straggly, I would like it not to grow in height but be more bushy.

MadeInYorkshire Sun 19-Jun-22 14:22:04

Yes you can - either pinch out the growing tip to encourage it to become multi stemmed and bush out, or follow this ....

www.bing.com/videos/search?q=can+you+prune+a+cordyline+to+make+it+bushier%3f&&view=detail&mid=E4346F8EAEC7F084E56CE4346F8EAEC7F084E56C&rvsmid=C8C3B31398C73E829AECC8C3B31398C73E829AEC&FORM=VDRVRV

lixy Sun 19-Jun-22 14:28:18

I pruned one we had in a front garden once upon a time by pinching out the growing tip. It was just fine - branched out and got quite bushy.

In another garden one had been planted next to the front drive just where the car door opened so I took it out. That was a real mission - huge root seemed to go on down for ever. I got as much of it out as I could and tried replanting it but it was never very happy after that.

25Avalon Sun 19-Jun-22 14:35:01

I thought mine had died in the frost a few years back but it grew back from the base. It is now about8ft high with flower stalks and the scent is divine. I’m surprised you can’t buy Cordeline perfume but guess it would need a more exotic name.

mokryna Sun 19-Jun-22 15:00:55

Okay I have pulled out the top centre leaf which is over a foot long. Is that really the tip? Do you think if I put it in water it will shoot?

lixy Sun 19-Jun-22 18:08:02

Give it a go in water just to see for fun - you never know your luck!
Usually the growing tip of a plant has a small bunch of leaves close together - I'm not sure that just one leaf will do the trick. When I did mine I pinched off the top centimetre or so.

The lady in the video above is even more direct with hers and cuts the whole stem down to two hand widths above the soil level - which she says will then develop into a branch either side.

mokryna Sun 19-Jun-22 20:59:12

There didn’t seem to be a tip and I have never seen or smelt flowers but we shall see what happens. If thé plant doesn’t bush up I’ll cut it as shown in the video. Thank you