Gransnet forums

Gardening

How much does your Green Waste Collection cost?

(201 Posts)
MRGUDER Thu 23-Jun-22 14:31:57

I just wondered what other people throughout United Kingdom pay for their Green Waste to be collected?
How often is it collected?
Do you require bags or a bin?

Thank you for your assistance in this.

Juno56 Thu 23-Jun-22 15:42:42

It used to be free but when the separate weekly collection of food waste started this year the council (Oxfordshire) introduced a charge for the collection of garden waste. We pay £60 annually per brown bin and it is collected fortnightly on the same day as the recycling bin. When you subscribe to the scheme you are given a sticker to put on your bin so the collection crew know who has paid.

Gongoozler Thu 23-Jun-22 15:50:09

In Wiltshire we have a fortnightly collection of green waste. Currently it cost £50 a year but has gone up from July to £60 a year.

Bellanonna Thu 23-Jun-22 15:53:27

£60 p.a. Bin included. Collection two-weekly, monthly in the winter.

62Granny Thu 23-Jun-22 15:53:42

No extra charge by our local authority, two large green canvas bags giving free but extra bags can be purchased, collected 2, weekly, same as black bin, recycling and food waste collected weekly. Our daughter who lives in another council area is having to purchase her black bags for general waste ( no bins) from 1st July. I sometimes think that people don't realise how luck we are in our area as everything is provided free.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Jun-22 16:04:39

Fortnightly free collections from March until October. We buy our own bags now.

They tried a paid service (where you 'buy' thin compostable bags) but very few people used it - and the bags split and emptied all over the roads/pavements. People were just dumping their garden waste in the woods and vital main roads/roundabouts were blocked by all the weekend trips/queues to the dump. A complete disaster - so hastily we reverted to the previous scheme!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 23-Jun-22 16:21:19

Free weekly collections of green waste, and free green waste bags available from libraries, council offices and a few other places here in S E Essex

kissngate Thu 23-Jun-22 16:25:16

£30 pa collected Feb -Nov incl.

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Jun-22 16:28:11

£75 pa supposedly collected fortnightly but this rarely happens. No pick up I think it is November - March.

Witzend Thu 23-Jun-22 16:36:48

Green bin, £60 a year, IIRC, not that we have one - ours all goes to the tip. And we live in one of the highest CT areas in the country - if not the highest.
Collected once a week.

They used to sell green bags at the libraries - £1.50 for 2, or £1 for over 60s. A much better system IMO, especially in autumn, when you might well need a lot for leaves.

Daisymae Thu 23-Jun-22 16:41:46

Included with Council tax here. They collect 4 largish bags every 2 weeks. Our tax is high though.

Pittcity Thu 23-Jun-22 16:44:59

Free garden waste collection every fortnight and food bin collected weekly.

welbeck Thu 23-Jun-22 16:45:44

£70 with fortnightly collections, not during winter.
green wheelie bin. which everyone has, to match the others for general waste and recycling, as the green waste used to be free, like the other two.

midgey Thu 23-Jun-22 16:49:02

£37 for all year collection once a fortnight.

Chewbacca Thu 23-Jun-22 16:56:01

Fortnightly collection of huge green wheelie bin from February to November. Cost is included in the council tax. I only use it for grass cuttings because I compost pretty much everything else.

Zoejory Thu 23-Jun-22 16:57:59

Large green wheelie bin, picked up once a fortnight. No added charge

Lovetopaint037 Thu 23-Jun-22 17:25:47

£65 for a year collected fortnightly throughout gardening season and less often throughout winter.

hazel93 Thu 23-Jun-22 17:35:52

£54 fortnightly collection throughout the year, also take our Christmas tree which obviously is far too large for the bin !

Chestnut Thu 23-Jun-22 17:43:58

Garden waste wheelie bin collected fortnightly (costing £42 per year).

Black bin fortnightly.
Recycling bin fortnightly (mixed plastic, glass, paper).
Food waste caddy weekly.

FlexibleFriend Thu 23-Jun-22 18:08:13

Our garden waste is collected fortnightly throughout the year. It costs £45 per green wheelie bin, you can have as many bins as you want and pay for.

Redhead56 Thu 23-Jun-22 18:30:45

Every fortnight March to October along with the recycling bins and the general house waste. There is no extra charge for the service I assume it’s included in our council tax.

Maggymay Thu 23-Jun-22 19:27:48

£30 Green bin collected fortnightly all year round.

lixy Thu 23-Jun-22 20:25:04

Green wheelie bin collected fortnightly except in Winter for free here.
At previous house - last year - £52 for fortnightly collection all year round.

tidyskatemum Thu 23-Jun-22 20:41:50

Out here in the wilds of Scotland there is no garden waste collection.. We’ve got 2 compost bins which are currently rammed, a big pile of clippings in the bottom corner of the garden and the last lot got lobbed over the fence into the bracken filled no man’s land behind us.

paddyann54 Thu 23-Jun-22 21:57:46

Brown wheelie bin collected every two weeks no extra charge ,its part of council services. I'm in the West of Scotland

BlueBelle Thu 23-Jun-22 22:19:39

Garden waste is £45 per annum collected every fortnight in a green bin for all of the year so 26 collections East of England
Amazing some people get it free others don’t