Gransnet forums

Gardening

Do weed pullers work

(12 Posts)
teabagwoman Tue 12-Jul-22 07:12:02

Worsening arthritis means that I’m having to look at different ways to cope with the garden. While looking for info on long handled tools I noticed several adverts for weed pullers, has anyone used them? Are they any good? I garden on very heavy clay soil.

Katie59 Tue 12-Jul-22 07:18:03

You would use a weed puller for deep rooted weeds like docks, a fork or trowel works for small weeds, if it’s very dry and hard water the soil first to make it easier.

Esspee Tue 12-Jul-22 09:25:24

If your soil dries hard I doubt they would be of much use.
My soil is clay but there has been so much organic matter added to the flour beds over the years it is now very friable.
The grass is different. Any dandelions that appear on my grass are impossible to lever out the ground is so hard so I spray them with water and drop a little granular weedkiller in the middle. I have to say that since I used Verdone many years ago my grass has remained pretty weed free.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 12-Jul-22 09:32:28

I've got 'Grandpa's Weeder' which is ok but not spectacular on my fairly neutral soil. The problem is placing it exactly around the weed. You can end up pulling up clods of earth and a few odd leaves of the offending item instead of getting it by the roots which is annoying as several attempts are required with no guarantee of success.

Is it worth it? As I say, it's ok but ... could you borrow a similar contraption from a gardening mate before splashing out?

GagaJo Tue 12-Jul-22 09:53:04

Esspee, which weed killer do you use for dandelions? I've only got a postage stamp lawn, but it's full of dandelions which I hate. I'm no gardener but I would just like a nice basic patch of grass without the dandelions.

Chewbacca Tue 12-Jul-22 10:08:43

Like you teabagwoman I have heavy clay and when it's baked dry, it's like digging concrete. I was given an electric weed remover: a bit like double headed forked trowel that cuts through the soil and surrounding area, making it easy to grab the deeply bedded weeds and remove them. I can't say I'm that impressed with it though; if you're not precise where you put it, it simply chops the weed up and spreads it further. I now prefer to wait until immediately after a good shower of rain, when the soil is softer and more easily dug, and attack the weeds then.

teabagwoman Tue 12-Jul-22 10:35:17

It sounds as though a weed puller wouldn’t be a lot of help. I too would like to know what weed killer you use Esspee though I’d have to be very careful as my dandelions are in the borders.

shysal Tue 12-Jul-22 10:49:46

I have one of these, but haven't used it for a while. It does a good job on large deep-rooted weeds, on my heavy clay soil. I tried it on dandelions in the lawn, but it gouged out rather large holes which required filling afterwards.
I have RA affecting my hands and wrists and find extendable shears and rechargeable secateurs and trimmers very useful.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Jul-22 11:45:52

shysal we have one of those for pulling out dandelions and long-rooted weeds and it is very effective. Yes, the holes do need filling in but they do get all (or most) of the root out.

Callistemon21 Tue 12-Jul-22 11:46:52

I bought DH an electric gadget to get rid of weeds between pavers, it wasn't cheap but it's not very effective.

25Avalon Tue 12-Jul-22 14:03:35

I have a long handled spot weed killer from Hozelock. You put the weed killer of your choice in the inner tube. Place the bottom cup over the weed you wish to kill and press the button on the top of the stick to release it’s load. No bending and if applied with care only the weed is affected.

midgey Tue 12-Jul-22 14:08:36

If you leave even a tiny part of a dandelion root behind it will regrow. I think the weed pullers work fine…..for the sellers!