Gransnet forums

Gardening

Weeds on gravel drive

(26 Posts)
Tizliz Fri 15-Jul-22 07:35:23

Due to poor design my garden overflows onto my drive when wet and I therefore get loads of weeds. I don’t want to use weed killers as apart from the environment concerns they leave all the organic material behind making the problem worse.

Has anyone experience of weed burners? Any recommendations?

M0nica Fri 15-Jul-22 08:04:57

I us eone of those gas fired burners. Works very well.

Soozikinzi Fri 15-Jul-22 08:05:40

We have a weed burner with 3 spare gas canisters it was only £15 and its brilliant !

ShazzaKanazza Fri 15-Jul-22 08:28:00

My husband uses one he loves it. Great for weed killing in between delicate plants.
We salt our drive to get rid of the weeds. It rains in and kills them. That is very effective as well.

Newquay Fri 15-Jul-22 09:26:27

Another recommendation here for weed burners-brilliant!

henetha Fri 15-Jul-22 10:43:59

I've loads of gravel and the weeds are an endless problem.
Dan the gardener man put down a membrane and new chippings for me, but the weeds come up through the membrane. It's infuriating.
But if I get a weed burner would it set fire to the membrane and then spread? Also, my son. a nature lover, says that weed burners kill lots of innocent little insects.
I'm going outside in a minute to do some more weeding confused

JaneJudge Fri 15-Jul-22 10:44:39

we have a weed burner too

Tizliz Fri 15-Jul-22 10:50:56

weed burners kill lots of innocent little insects

This does worry me. Salt is another idea but that will kill insects as well.

I have 40 meters of drive and another small area. I have spent over 5 hours in the last fortnight out there and the main thing to show is the pain in my hands and back! And where I started is already growing back ?

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-Jul-22 10:53:57

I've decided that I can cope with some weeds, so while I do dig up the dandelions, buttercups and grass (not obsessive about it as there are other things to do in the garden) I leave the milkwort, geraniums, sedum, aquiliegia (sp?), poppies and so on. They look pretty when they are flowering and attract insects. If they get driven over by visitors, so what? And I'm more laid back than I was, which makes a change. ? ?

Sorry, can't advise about a weed burner, which we have thought about but never got round to getting.

teabagwoman Fri 15-Jul-22 11:19:02

I too have a lot of gravel and a lot of weeds. Can’t kneel for more than a few moments and hip now going so have regretfully resorted to weed killer. I have poor sight so weed burner probably isn’t a good idea. I leave the poppies but am plagued by wild mustard. Any suggestions?

Caleo Fri 15-Jul-22 12:02:33

I have a gravel drive and the wild flowers and grasses have been a joy. I had a wonderful crop of lovely white feverfew this year . Later on when the grasses have lost their pristine greenery I will ask my son to mow the drive at a high cut. Green alkanet flowers intensely blue beside the darker green hedge and is a joy year after year.

I pull up tree seedlings and briar seedlings, and I don't accept docks, so I am selective.

Caleo Fri 15-Jul-22 12:04:19

Why does anyone want sterility as far as the eye can see?

Wheniwasyourage Fri 15-Jul-22 12:37:16

Well said, Caleo. Thank you, I forgot about feverfew, which is another very pretty one decorating our drive. We also have honesty and the odd Aaron's Rod at the edges.

Tizliz Fri 15-Jul-22 13:01:15

I am happy with wild flowers but it is the fact that the lawn has overflowed and it is not possible to cut it. I don’t need sterility just some order.

Auntieflo Fri 15-Jul-22 13:32:03

Soozikinzi, could you let us know where you bought your weed burner with 3 canisters please?

M0nica Fri 15-Jul-22 14:13:22

I bought my weed burner on ebay and buy packs of replacement gas cylinders on ebay as well.

Esspee Fri 15-Jul-22 14:25:42

OH originally bought a delicate weed burner with a gas cannister about the size of a hairspray can and loved it. The gas canister was quickly used up and difficult to buy so he attached the rod to our b-b-q gas bottle, he then manufactured a more robust rod. Now it operates like a WW1 flame thrower and he is in his element. Be warned.

farview Fri 15-Jul-22 16:47:22

I weed by hand because of all the insect life going on down there in the gravel etc....

Caleo Fri 15-Jul-22 17:52:23

Farview, I can pull up tree and briar seedlngs when they are about up to six or eight inches, but I can't manage docks and have to poison them with spotkill Roundup. It's not too bad as I don't get many docks.

My attitude to my gravel drive is a long grass lawn in waiting which drains rather well due to the gravel. Cars can drive over it too without sinking in.

SpringyChicken Fri 15-Jul-22 21:59:30

I rake and hoe my drive regularly, it's the old fashioned way but it works. The secret is to doing it often , before any weeds show.

teabagwoman Sat 16-Jul-22 06:47:25

Thanks SpringyChicken, I’ll make a note in my diary to try that next year.

MaizieD Sat 16-Jul-22 07:41:58

.I bought a weed burner but I couldn't bear to kill all those insects every time I used it, so I abandoned it.

Gravel has to be the best seed raising medium ever !

Can you not get a barrier between your garden and your drive, tizliz? A low wall perhaps?

Tizliz Sat 16-Jul-22 12:40:06

Can you not get a barrier between your garden and your drive, tizliz? A low wall perhaps?

It's on the list !! then will have to take all the gravel off and put a new membrane down. The list however is quite long already.

I was watching the lad who helps in the garden (sounds posh but he only does an hour a week) and felt depressed because 10 years ago it would have been the OH and me cutting back the trees. Old age is hard.

Candelle Sat 16-Jul-22 12:53:53

We use Pathclear on our gravel frontage. This works fairly well but as anyone with gravel knows, it isn't foolproof (weedproof?) as the little blighters grow from fresh seeds blown onto the gravel at a later date.

We 'spot' clear the tiny seedlings before they can get a grip.

To mop these up we do use a weed burner - powered by gas cartridges. I say 'we', but it's Mr C that thankfully does this job.

I am afraid that we are not squeamish (sorry) about loss of insect life on any minute seedlings we/he have never spotted anything at the time.

If using a weed burner we feel the gas cartridges are better than the electric burners, as these don't have enough 'welly' to successfully complete the job.

Tizliz Sat 16-Jul-22 14:18:14

Well I have just ordered one. They are quite cheap so I will see how it goes.