Gransnet forums

Gardening

protecting plants from the heat

(10 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 19-Jul-22 11:28:06

I have just come in from rigging up a kind of tent over my pots of begonias. They were starting to fry yesterday and with today meant to be even hotter i had to do something. I hadn't the energy to move the pots to shady area of garden so used a cloth meant for when you decorate and a couple of garden chairs to shade them. I have also hung bathtowels on the line to try and shade my hydragea bushes. Hanging baskets taken down and put in shady area. Now im sitting indoors with ice cold drink to recover!!!! What are you doing to protect plants??

Sparklefizz Tue 19-Jul-22 11:31:45

Yes, one of my hydrangeas was wilting last night but I drenched it with water in the evening and it's recovered this morning. It would be hard to shield it so I just hope it survives today and I can drench it again tonight.

Joseanne Tue 19-Jul-22 11:32:51

Parasols directed at the right angle to block the sun.

Chestnut Tue 19-Jul-22 11:35:55

I've moved my house plants away from sunny windows. My succulents like the sun but this is too much. The other leafy plants definitely don't want blazing sun.

Redhead56 Tue 19-Jul-22 11:39:55

Getting lots of exercise moving pots around all day. I put a lot of work into making my pots up I would hate them to perish.

DerbyshireLass Tue 19-Jul-22 11:41:13

I moved anything in a pot to a shady spot. My big worry though is some trees I planted a couple of years ago....still just saplings really so not sure how established their root systems are. They are looking quite distressed, leaves turning brown.

Nell8 Tue 19-Jul-22 11:43:32

I've had to dig up some polyanthus which were dying in a shady border despite watering. They're in a trough now under a canopy. New leaves are appearing, so that's promising.

Anrol Tue 19-Jul-22 11:45:53

I too have put the parasol over my cucumbers, which were wilting yesterday. Also used the mist function on my hose spray attachment. They recovered beautifully.

tiredoldwoman Tue 19-Jul-22 12:14:08

I soaked mine last night , mulched them with home made compost then watered again this morning . I've got pumpkins and sunflowers all grown from seed , so don't want to lose them .

J52 Tue 19-Jul-22 12:14:24

We’re away, so there’s shading over the greenhouse, timed irrigation in the greenhouse and raised beds. I’ve moved the smaller pots to the North side and put them in very large trays of water.
The rest is up to DS watering visits.