Gransnet forums

Gardening

How much should you pay a gardener?

(111 Posts)
DaisyL Mon 01-Aug-22 19:50:23

Has anyone got any ideas about how much I should pay a gardener? I've had someone for years helping and he has now retired but I think that he was being paid well below the going rate. What do people think is a reasonable hourly rate?

Shinamae Mon 01-Aug-22 19:54:48

I personally don’t have one but a friend of mine pays £15 an hour and he brings his own equipment..

BlueBelle Mon 01-Aug-22 19:55:36

I do my own but my friend pays £15 an hour too shinamae

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 01-Aug-22 19:57:16

I pay my gardener £22 per hour. She brings all her own equipment and clears up afterward.

SpringyChicken Mon 01-Aug-22 20:16:50

I think you'll have to pay what they ask. Gardeners are like hen's teeth, hard to find one with a free slot.

MIL had a regular gardener, he was telling her that there was one client who was most unpleasant to him and the lawn was a pig to cut as it was on a steep slope. It came to a head when the client was particularly abnoxious and said don't come back again, I'll get someone better. So, very gladly, he didn't. Some weeks later, the ex client phoned and apologised, said he'd been hasty and he'd needed him back. But the gardener had filled the slot from his waiting list and didn't return.

Iam64 Mon 01-Aug-22 20:37:17

I’m new to having a gardener, he has a young assistant. They mow front and back lawns, keep the weeds in the borders and driveway down. It’s £28 a fortnight. Seems fair.

kittylester Mon 01-Aug-22 20:38:27

We pay ours £18 ph.

Sara1954 Mon 01-Aug-22 20:42:40

We pay £17.00 an hour, he takes all the rubbish away, and over the years has helped us out with all sorts of things.
Worth every penny

Georgesgran Mon 01-Aug-22 20:44:19

It took me a whole year to find a gardener - some came, looked at the garden and never came back, or just said they’d come to look and didn’t show up. I eventually found one in March last year. He tells pretty much the same story (it’s true, I’m sure) that he can afford to pick and choose his customers as he’s in high demand. After a fall out with someone who told him to pick up the dog poo before cutting the grass, he was told not to go back, but 4 weeks later the chap was on the phone begging to be reinstated. Too late, as he’d given that slot to someone else. I pay £50 a visit - it’s every 2 weeks, 2 or 3 chaps and I’ve a big garden. Seasonal only with a last visit to prepare the garden for Winter, then a similar visit in Spring to do a big tidy-up. They bring all their equipment with them and fill up my garden bin every time. Any really big stuff is carted away on their truck.

MerylStreep Mon 01-Aug-22 20:47:44

I didn’t intend to be a Gardner for other people but relatives of a friend were let go by their gardeners when lockdown hit so I was asked to do their gardens. They pay £15 per hour.

Iam64 Mon 01-Aug-22 20:48:13

That sounds good Georgesgran. I asked my gardener if once the lawns don’t need doing, he’d help me dig and separate some big plants. Yes they will - it will make a big difference for me

Norah Mon 01-Aug-22 21:05:15

£28 per hour

Charleygirl5 Mon 01-Aug-22 21:16:30

Mine cuts the grass only and he has recently upped the hourly rate from £15 to £20 because of the rise in petrol prices. He comes every 2 weeks but spends around 20 minutes here. It is London and they are like gold dust. This fellow has been coming here for many years.

M0nica Mon 01-Aug-22 22:04:38

It depends where you live. Some areas are much more expensive than others. Around Oxford, it could be £40 or higher.

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Aug-22 22:07:49

I sleep with my gardener that seems to satisfy him.

dragonfly46 Mon 01-Aug-22 22:21:57

I pay £14 an hour, she brings her own equipment and works like a galley slave.

Sago Mon 01-Aug-22 22:29:28

BigBertha1 Could you please clarify? I need to know how many hours gardening for a “sleep”. Is it just a normal sleep or can you do some special tricks?
If you needed a small tree felling or a trench dug what would be expected?
Are the lights on or off?
I’m asking for a friend.

Luckygirl3 Mon 01-Aug-22 23:21:45

£15 p hour

Baggytrazzas Mon 01-Aug-22 23:29:14

BigBertha1

I sleep with my gardener that seems to satisfy him.

BigBertha1 - and I'm assuming that your gardener sleeps also with the person who probably does most of the other housework including washing his underpants and ironing his shirts??

However, I do like the tariff suggested by Sago.

I have just paid 3 fit and healthy young men £350 to fell a very large cedar tree, including taking away all debris and leaving the place tidy. I could have bartered I suppose but I think they probably took one look at me and decided taking the money was their very best bet!

Chestnut Mon 01-Aug-22 23:57:56

We pay £22 an hour for our gardener but he's more of a hacker than a true gardener. Just cuts the grass and hacks things back, sometimes too much. We are going to look for another one. Not had much luck with them to be honest. The last one was totally unreliable.

Chestnut Tue 02-Aug-22 00:00:49

Baggytrazzas I have just paid 3 fit and healthy young men £350 to fell a very large cedar tree, including taking away all debris and leaving the place tidy.
Wow, how did you find these fit and healthy young men? We have a large fir tree that should really be cut down but I'm expecting tree surgeons to charge at least a couple of thousand.

Charleygirl5 Tue 02-Aug-22 00:13:39

Chestnut surely that is far too expensive? I would look around.

M0nica Tue 02-Aug-22 06:41:28

Chestnut Even in Oxfordshire we would not expect to pay that much to remove a tree.

We had a large tree removed in our garden in 2019. We used a large reputable firm of local tree surgeons. I think the bill came in around £1,000. The job was completed in a day.

Baggytrazzas Tue 02-Aug-22 07:36:15

Hi, I expected to pay around £1000 but felt that the expertise of a tree surgeon was not required so consulted with a well established gardening services company with experience, manpower and equipment. And insurance. They took it down in sections, everything went through a shredder and they cleaned up. Took around an hour. I asked them to leave stump at ground level as its unseen. Would have cost about the same again for stump removal. So worthwhile asking local gardening firms rather than tree surgeons if the tree is not damaged or diseased.

NotSpaghetti Tue 02-Aug-22 07:44:09

My mother-in-law pays £20 an hour for her gardener.