Gransnet forums

Gardening

Alsteromeria

(28 Posts)
Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:24:29

These are my favourite flowers. This year we treated ourselves to a plant from a garden centre. It wasn't exactly cheap but it's been a disaster. The instructions are ground or pot. We've looked after it the same as our other plants. Does anyone know what we can do to save it? Thanks.

lixy Wed 03-Aug-22 11:35:52

They are beautiful and really good 'do-ers'.

I am no expert but I wonder if the pot is in full sun and the roots got too hot in recent days?

I think this is what happened to my canna lily and it has revived now I have moved it so the pot is shaded by another one in front of it.
Good luck!

Nightsky2 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:43:12

Kate1949

These are my favourite flowers. This year we treated ourselves to a plant from a garden centre. It wasn't exactly cheap but it's been a disaster. The instructions are ground or pot. We've looked after it the same as our other plants. Does anyone know what we can do to save it? Thanks.

I planted some in the garden as they were beautiful in April May and June. Not looking so good now.
They grew to about 16/18 inches. They should be wonderful next year. I do love them.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:43:17

Thank you lixy. It is in the sun but we keep it well watered. We'll try moving it.

Nightsky2 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:44:36

Kate1949

Maybe plant them in the garden like I did.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:45:04

Nightsky Thank you. Maybe that's the problem. We intend to put it in the ground at the end of the summer. I'll see how it goes.

LauraNorderr Wed 03-Aug-22 11:45:36

Mine is just in compost on a north east facing wall so morning sun only, bigger pot.

LauraNorderr Wed 03-Aug-22 11:47:01

Finishing now having been battered by wind last few days

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:48:34

That's beautiful Laura.

foxie48 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:50:02

I've got one in a pot and several planted out in the garden. They like the sun and do well in our garden which doesn't have the ideal soil, being clay, but once established they have thrived. The one we have in a pot is not in full sun and we try to ensure the soil is kept moist but not waterlogged. If I were you I'd probably repot it to check there's nothing eating the roots and then put it where it gets some sun but not full sun. Good luck it's so annoying to lose plants but generally they are quite easy once they've got going!

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 11:52:40

Thanks all

Esmay Wed 03-Aug-22 12:06:44

Peruvian lilies finish blooming by the end of July so it's "gone over ".

Sorry to ask , but was it full price at the nursery or sold at a discount as it was nearing the end of its floral display ?

Normally -
they like full sun for six hours a day .
Water x 3 a week .
Use a half strength feed regularly .
A touch of ericaceous compost - when repotting or planting out .
The roots are rather delicate so careful when handling .
And don't cut the flowers off - pull them .
But -
at the moment it's unusually hot and most plants in the garden are rather unhappy /confused .
So keep the growing medium damp with more water . Don't splash water on the leaves to avoid ugly scorch marks from the sun .

They are tough perennials and should return next year .

Wishing you luck with such a potentially lovely plant !

Luckygirl3 Wed 03-Aug-22 12:11:49

Ah ... interesting .... I always avoid these as I think of them as "garage flowers"!! smile

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 12:17:40

Thank you. Esmay. It was full price. I think we should have researched it a bit more. I just saw it and thought 'I want that'. We bought it in May.
I have always bought the cut flowers. They don't look much when you buy them but are lovely after a couple of days and last for ages.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 12:24:50

Cut ones

MerylStreep Wed 03-Aug-22 12:35:20

Kate
I had the same problem earlier this year and mine looked a lot worse than yours.
I moved the ones that survived to a north west facing bed.
It was much happier.
Mind you I did say to it: either shape up or ship out ?

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 12:41:46

Thank you Meryl. I'll say that to ours! We're not gardeners really but don't do too badly usually.

Hiraeth Wed 03-Aug-22 12:50:44

Kate1949 they need a good feed every fortnight and don’t like standing in water but do need to be watered regularly . And a sunny site that’s not windy

MiniMoon Wed 03-Aug-22 13:01:24

Ours are on a south facing tall wall but where they are positioned they only get sunshine for a few hours in the afternoon and early evening.
DH says to pull out the yellow leaves and flowers when they've gone over. Pull them out, don't cut them. They will grow again fromm the roots. You could take out about an inch of the compost and add some fresh which might help.

MiniMoon Wed 03-Aug-22 13:02:08

Meant to add, these are ours Indian Summer.

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 13:05:39

Thank you MiniMoon. Those are lovely.

paddyann54 Wed 03-Aug-22 13:52:01

Mine came to nothing this year ,we're in the West of Scotland ,weather hasn't been great but they usually perform well whatever the weather

garnet25 Wed 03-Aug-22 16:49:43

I've never been able to grow these in our clay soil but a friend gave me some in a pot and they are doing fine.

Esmay Wed 03-Aug-22 18:14:23

Hi Kate ,
I'm reeling from the price that I've just paid for a hebe .
I've propagated dozens of them and given each one away !!!

Kate1949 Wed 03-Aug-22 22:55:28

Well Esmay we usually get our plants from B&Q or Aldi. They're great. Cheap as chips. Six for £5
or thereabouts. This Alsteromeria was £18. It will flourish if it kills us!