Gransnet forums

Gardening

Watering Exhaustion - a change is needed!

(64 Posts)
Casdon Fri 12-Aug-22 15:02:21

I’m worn out from watering. I’ve got water butts, I’ve saved my household water, and I’ve spent over an hour this morning with my 5 (I know, excessive number) of watering cans trying to stop my plants completely expiring in the heat. We don’t have a hosepipe ban here, but I feel guilty using the hose at the moment.

A serious rethink is needed for next year. So far I’ve decided
Less pots and bigger pots
Plants being nurtured and seedlings all in one part of the garden, I will transplant when they are bigger
Nothing that needs watering at the top of the banks in my sloping borders
Mulch the vegetables
Grow less gourds as they need bucketfuls of water each every day

Please tell me what you’re doing to keep your plants alive that doesn’t involve hundreds of watering cans of effort every day?

lixy Sat 20-Aug-22 21:14:29

Casdon

You’re right Callistemon21, there’s a beautiful Chinese dogwood near me, and I noticed today how sad it was looking. There might well be an early autumn this year.

How right you were!
Early Autumn - called a false Autumn - was being discussed on the radio earlier. There was hope that the trees will recover if there's a decent amount of rain over the Autumn and Winter months,

welbeck Sat 20-Aug-22 23:50:34

i've just found out that in thames water area, may be similar elsewhere, there is an exemption to the hosepipe ban for blue badge holders.

Grantanow Sun 21-Aug-22 09:14:28

Hosepipe use is trivial compared with the water lost by water companies through leaks in the mains which they are mostly failing to stop through underinvestment. If you are not under a hosepipe ban I see no reason to kill yourself carrying heavy watering cans.

Galaxy Sun 21-Aug-22 09:41:08

Yes I have no idea why anyone who do that. I dont have a hosepipe ban, so I use the hose.

Casdon Sun 21-Aug-22 09:51:28

If you feel comfortable using a hose obviously go ahead. It’s a sustainability issue, that’s why I’ve been watering with a can. It will take the whole winter for reservoirs to return to normal levels, and we don’t know if we will have a wet winter this year or not, if not there are fears that we will start next year with a pre existing deficit. Longer term it’s necessary to think about making our gardens more drought resistant.

karmalady Fri 02-Sep-22 19:11:51

Even my drought resistant garden is succumbing to this relentless drought in s somerset. I just noticed that deep rooted comfrey is laying much flatter and has not put on much new growth in weeks, I use it for my hotbins

I had to go around with a watering can, echinacea are still fine but the younger ones were looking droopy and I have watered 2 rowans and 3 blackcurrants as they only went in last winter. Roses in the ground are holding their own. Sedums look droopy but will recover without watering and best of all, hellebores have not had a drop as they are sturdy and glossy

I am glad I have planted small lavenders into pots as they are obviously ok in drought. At the front, roses, hebe and rosemary are all surviving. The 4 apple trees at the back have been in for 3 1/2 years and I fortunately did the summer prune and took quite a bit of green off them. They would need a lot of water for 2 years from planting, probably 2 cans per tree but I believe that they are ok

I have not used a hose since last year and don`t mind carrying the cans, both for water conservation and also very good for the all -important muscle building

Casdon Fri 02-Sep-22 19:19:23

Hopefully there will be some rain this weekend. I’ve pruned a lot of my shrubs and trees too in the last few weeks, hopefully it will reduce their stress. It’s going to be such an early false autumn.

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Sep-22 20:48:45

Grantanow

Hosepipe use is trivial compared with the water lost by water companies through leaks in the mains which they are mostly failing to stop through underinvestment. If you are not under a hosepipe ban I see no reason to kill yourself carrying heavy watering cans.

I agree although I don't think lawns need watering. It's surprising how they revive when it rains.

Is it worse to use a spray attached to a hose to water pots and vegetables than it is to fill watering cans from the same outside tap?

Callistemon21 Fri 02-Sep-22 20:50:23

I agree and I don't think lawns need watering, sorry Grantanow you didn't suggest that.

CanadianGran Fri 02-Sep-22 22:27:12

We aren't having an issue here (live in a rain forest), but other areas of our province are semi-arid and get very little rain during the summer. Our friends that live there have a drip-hose system for watering pots and veg. they have it hooked up to their main line, but it can also be hooked up to rain barrels.

A drip system allows for less evaporation since the water is slowly releases right at the base of the plant.

Grantanow Mon 28-Nov-22 18:33:45

I bought a water butt pump which lets you use a hosepipe fed from the butt which avoids using watering cans but you get through water more quickly.

Jenniferhere Fri 09-Dec-22 04:38:25

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Jenniferhere Fri 09-Dec-22 04:51:50

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.