Gransnet forums

Gardening

Composting household food waste

(60 Posts)
Etheldreda Sun 19-Mar-23 17:30:29

Our Council will take garden waste but not food waste in the bin.

I know some Councils do take food waste.

I am reluctant to put my food waste into the general waste but that seems to be what has to be done.

I saw in Facebook Marketplace someone selling a home composter (can't remeber the exact title) but couldn't quite work out what it was about, but it did seem to be for food from meals etc.

Can anyone help with advice and knowledge?

Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 15:26:06

Greyduster

^Quote Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 08:14:13
Is that in the UK Greyduster?^

I take it that was in response to the incinerator comment?
Yes it is UK.

Ah thanks. Where is this?

Where are incinerators the norm in the UK, and not landfill? Would be really interested to know. Thanks.

NotSpaghetti Mon 20-Mar-23 15:52:12

There are incinerators in the Midlands.

MawtheMerrier Mon 20-Mar-23 15:58:13

{Sigh}
Yet again OP has not returned to discuss, elaborate or comment on our contributions

Greyduster Mon 20-Mar-23 16:04:22

I live in Sheffield. I would hope that the system is in use in many local authorities. The system heats a large boiler which produces steam that is used to drive a turbine, generating electricity for the National Grid and producing hot water for the District Energy network.

M0nica Mon 20-Mar-23 17:18:48

Our food waste recycling is quite separate from the garden waste recycling.

The garden waste is composted in commercial composters. Food waste goes to an anaerobic digester. The methane so generated is fed into the grid and I think the waste matter left is used as an agricultural fertiliser.

Norah Tue 21-Mar-23 14:00:13

I think big gatherings are the exception to the rule. You are bound to get food waste

Of course. That was my point.

For those of us who have people round most every day, no plan involved, there's much cooked food that can't be composted/ must be disposed of. We're lucky with land, foods feed animals, not everyone has that.

M0nica Tue 21-Mar-23 15:36:32

Fleurpepper A list of waste incinerators in the UK can be found here en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_incinerators_in_the_United_Kingdom

54 in all, including one run by my county council, and more planned.

Fleurpepper Tue 21-Mar-23 17:17:04

Thanks Monica.

MerylStreep Tue 21-Mar-23 17:18:55

Fleurpepper

Greyduster

^Quote Fleurpepper Mon 20-Mar-23 08:14:13
Is that in the UK Greyduster?^

I take it that was in response to the incinerator comment?
Yes it is UK.

Ah thanks. Where is this?

Where are incinerators the norm in the UK, and not landfill? Would be really interested to know. Thanks.

There’s a huge incinerator in Basildon.