Gransnet forums

Gardening

Monty Don is retiring from Gardeners’ World

(103 Posts)
Dempie55 Tue 08-Sept-26 11:47:01

Well, he’s 71, probably wants a bit of peace and quiet and time to travel. I will miss seeing his Longmeadow garden, though.

HelterSkelter1 Sat 12-Sept-26 10:46:15

I will miss Monty. Late DH called him Big Chief Grey Pants. So that's how he was known here.

Not sure if Adam F will fit the role. For some reason Frances annoys me. Also Toby Buckland.

Well will just have ro wait and see.
I like the viewers' gardens slots so hope we have plenty of them.

25Avalon Sat 12-Sept-26 12:55:43

Toby Buckland did present GW for a while but didn’t go down well. A pleasant enough man but lacked any charisma.

MayBee70 Sat 12-Sept-26 13:10:00

Adam is lovely on the Outsiding podcast. Knowledgeable and very funny. If he takes over I’ll actually start watching Gardeners World. It’s because I do get very fond of the people in my favourite podcasts I suppose. I’ve always felt that Monty’s garden is far too aspirational for my sad little tree surrounded plot.

Silvertwigs Sat 12-Sept-26 14:06:04

I love his descriptors of ‘Jewel Garden’ etc. Flower beds sound like the stupid idea of scattering petal on hotel beds. Beds are for sleeping in

pomegranatejuice Sat 12-Sept-26 14:11:16

Don’t think he has raunchy novels in him, like Titchmarsh

Suzieque66 Sat 12-Sept-26 14:15:53

I am so glad Monty is retiring as he was S L O W...and wasted time throwing the ball to the dog !! I want gardening advice and want it now not after 30mins !

Grammajules Sat 12-Sept-26 15:25:49

Wish it was Chris Beardshaw. Don’t see him much on the telly anymore

hjmhill Sat 12-Sept-26 17:08:51

I admire Monty for recognising when it's time to go. It's an admirable quality.

Estrellita Sat 12-Sept-26 17:31:21

Casdon

I like Monty, I’m sorry he is retiring. I’ll also miss the lovely Ned.

I’m not over Gary Lineker going either, he’s the best. I do think Strictly needed a change though.

Hear hear!

MayBee70 Sat 12-Sept-26 18:03:59

Estrellita

Casdon

I like Monty, I’m sorry he is retiring. I’ll also miss the lovely Ned.

I’m not over Gary Lineker going either, he’s the best. I do think Strictly needed a change though.

Hear hear!

We went to the Barcelona ground years ago and he still had a seat there. They revered him over there. Like many people appreciated more in other countries than their own. The only time I’ve found him anything less than the true professional was when he was working with Clare Balding ( who I also love) at the Olympics and they really didn’t seem to get on.

keepcalmandcavachon Sat 12-Sept-26 20:20:56

I'll miss Monty too, he had some quite rigid ideas at first, so I loved how he's mellowed over the years.
I looked forward to being soothed by the sound of his lovely voice on Fridays.
Adam Frost is a wonderful gardener, he has so many gifts.

greyfur16 Sat 12-Sept-26 20:34:54

Good old Monty, a fellow depressive.

Delene100 Sat 12-Sept-26 21:05:48

eddiecat78

Thank goodness! Hope they get someone more down to earth to replace him who doesn't grow veg on an industrial scale and who has flower beds, not "Jewel Gardens" etc al.

I agree with you. Got a little tired of seeing him pushing that wheelbarrow along. Personally I prefer Beechgrove Gardens.

Paperbackwriter Sat 12-Sept-26 21:27:44

I loved Monty but thought him a rubbish gardener. He was constantly planting a patch then a year later ripping it out and saying it was a mistake. But he was a delightful presence on TV. Very calming and peaceful in a rotten old world. I wish him well in retirement and - thank goodness - there are more like him to continue the genre.

Olivebranch Sun 13-Sept-26 07:42:16

I hope Adam gets the job too. More down to earth and his garden is relatable.
I can’t abide Gary Lineker and his moral posturing.
Strictly— huumm— the jury is waiting for the evidence.

Kandinsky Sun 13-Sept-26 08:25:27

I like Monty, but he does seem to have aged quite a bit in the last couple of years. He’s definitely made the right decision to quit.
Hope Adam gets the job. 🤞

Grammaretto Sun 13-Sept-26 08:31:00

I remember when Monty started I must be really old . He had presented another programme nothing to do with gardening so I was really surprised to see him spouting forth as an expert.

If you have the gift of the gab, a soothing voice and a gorgeous dog you too can present Gardeners World. 🙂
Happy retirement Monty .

greyfur16 Sun 13-Sept-26 08:41:59

pomegranatejuice

Don’t think he has raunchy novels in him, like Titchmarsh

Urgh, puts me off my cornflakes.

merlotgran Sun 13-Sept-26 09:20:42

. He had presented another programme nothing to do with gardening so I was really surprised to see him spouting forth as an expert

Alan Titchmarsh’s early TV presenting jobs were nothing to do with gardening.

JenniRen Sun 13-Sept-26 10:01:57

merlotgran

. He had presented another programme nothing to do with gardening so I was really surprised to see him spouting forth as an expert

Alan Titchmarsh’s early TV presenting jobs were nothing to do with gardening.

Alan Titchmarsh trained in horticulture as a 15 year old apprentice then carried on his training at Kew Gardens.

Percy Thrower was a trained park keeper and horticulturist. He was in charge of The Dingle at Shrewsbury for years. I remember going there with my parents, my father was a keen gardener.

Geoff Hamilton, arguably the best presenter of Gardener's World, was a horticulturist and ran his own nursery and gardens.

Kandinsky Sun 13-Sept-26 10:23:06

Geoff Hamilton, arguably the best presenter of Gardener's World, was a horticulturist and ran his own nursery and gardens

Agree. He was the best by far.

honeyrose Sun 13-Sept-26 10:57:34

I’m not going to be popular here as many of you like Adam Frost, but I watched Gardeners World on Friday with Adam presenting and I almost fell asleep with boredom! He seemed so slow and deliberate - playing for time to pad out the programme. I love the little films of viewers gardens, and the other GW professional gardeners contributions, but I hope that Adam won’t be the new presenter. Yes, Monty has been winding down as he’s not on every week now, but I like his style. Happy retirement, Monty - you’ll be missed. ps I shall still watch GW, by the way, but I won’t be as keen.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Sept-26 11:11:11

I only know him from his podcast but I get the impression that he might change the format of the show and open it up to more people. I know I boringly bang on about podcasts but if you love gardening the Outsiding podcast is excellent and it’s first guest was Bob Mortimer.

Delene100 Sun 13-Sept-26 12:50:19

What Monty doesn't tell viewers is that he hires gardeners to do most of the work in his large garden they bever get a mention). We only see the staged bits with him performing 😄🤣😂.

Delene100 Sun 13-Sept-26 12:50:54

Never