Gransnet forums

Gardening

Monty Don is retiring from Gardeners’ World

(103 Posts)
Dempie55 Tue 08-Sept-26 11:47:01

Well, he’s 71, probably wants a bit of peace and quiet and time to travel. I will miss seeing his Longmeadow garden, though.

Casdon Sun 13-Sept-26 12:56:40

He does say he has help Delene, don’t you watch? I don’t know anybody who could manage an intricately designed two acre garden alone, do you?

Delene100 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:15:25

Casdon

He does say he has help Delene, don’t you watch? I don’t know anybody who could manage an intricately designed two acre garden alone, do you?

I can't remember hearing him say that but those people should be acknowledged now that he is retiring. Would be nice to see them in a brief tribute.

Delene100 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:19:17

Paperbackwriter

I loved Monty but thought him a rubbish gardener. He was constantly planting a patch then a year later ripping it out and saying it was a mistake. But he was a delightful presence on TV. Very calming and peaceful in a rotten old world. I wish him well in retirement and - thank goodness - there are more like him to continue the genre.

I hope the new ones are not like him. We need a different format aimed at the amateur gardeners. I do like when the show visits other people's gardens who are not professionals but garden with a passion.

Millie22 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:32:12

I do like Monty but I shan't miss him pushing that wheelbarrow all the time. He plants something and all around is such a mess I think he'll never find that plant again.

Hopefully we will see some smaller more realistic gardens with a different presenter. I do really like Adam though and saw him a few weeks ago at the Rutland Flower Show.

Aely Sun 13-Sept-26 14:34:11

I recently started thing "Monty is looking older all of a sudden. I do hope he can keep going a few years more", although I didn't realise how old he actually is. "According to Monty Don..." is a frequent phrase I use when other people ask me for gardening advice. I like the fact that he acknowledges he is still learning, like the programme when he had heard about growing more tomato plants from the removed side shoots and tried it out for himself. I had no idea - but I know now.

For some reason I find Carol Klein irritating and the most irritating thing is that I am not sure why!
Whoever gets the job, I really hope they have a wide range of gardening interest like Monty.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Sept-26 14:52:14

Aely

I recently started thing "Monty is looking older all of a sudden. I do hope he can keep going a few years more", although I didn't realise how old he actually is. "According to Monty Don..." is a frequent phrase I use when other people ask me for gardening advice. I like the fact that he acknowledges he is still learning, like the programme when he had heard about growing more tomato plants from the removed side shoots and tried it out for himself. I had no idea - but I know now.

For some reason I find Carol Klein irritating and the most irritating thing is that I am not sure why!
Whoever gets the job, I really hope they have a wide range of gardening interest like Monty.

I find Carol irritating and feel quite guilty about it as I think she’s a lovely person. I think it’s because she talks and smiles at the same time. Brian Cox does the same which also irritates me and makesme feel even more guilty as I admire him and everything he stands for.

greyfur16 Sun 13-Sept-26 15:23:30

I found a picture of me ( taken accidently on my phone during the pandemic) My God, I look about 20 years younger than now.

Sorry Monty, just waffling.

J52 Sun 13-Sept-26 15:33:17

I thought Adam was rather good at hosting on Friday. I liked the drone shots of his garden. He did explain repotting the crocosmia well for those who might be unsure.
I look forward to seeing his garden develop.

Delene100 Sun 13-Sept-26 15:50:10

Aely

I recently started thing "Monty is looking older all of a sudden. I do hope he can keep going a few years more", although I didn't realise how old he actually is. "According to Monty Don..." is a frequent phrase I use when other people ask me for gardening advice. I like the fact that he acknowledges he is still learning, like the programme when he had heard about growing more tomato plants from the removed side shoots and tried it out for himself. I had no idea - but I know now.

For some reason I find Carol Klein irritating and the most irritating thing is that I am not sure why!
Whoever gets the job, I really hope they have a wide range of gardening interest like Monty.

I think Carol Klein waving her arms about and that fake enthusiasm in her voice are what I find most annoying.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 13-Sept-26 17:09:33

I googled the company New Balance Monty is advertising shoes for now and watched an interesting video of the company concerned based in Cumbria on their website. I shall have to google again it again. The garden designer who was also a jewellery designer has designed a garden in which the workers at the shoe factory can sit in....in the summer of course as it is Cumbria.
It will be interesting to see where Monty pops up in the futire.

JenniRen Sun 13-Sept-26 18:24:12

Delene100

What Monty doesn't tell viewers is that he hires gardeners to do most of the work in his large garden they bever get a mention). We only see the staged bits with him performing 😄🤣😂.

Well, yes he does but we all know that. It would be impossible for one person to cope with that very large garden alone, especially with the health problems he has coped with and with all his other commitments too.

Witzend Sun 13-Sept-26 18:32:27

There’s an excellent piece by Jeremy Clarkson in today’s Sunday Times, expressing fears that the Beeb will fail to understand why GW has been popular with so many, and will appoint someone ticking a lot of their lefty/trendy boxes, but who will certainly not appeal to the typical GW addict.

Casdon Sun 13-Sept-26 18:36:40

Judging by this thread Witzend, there are as many different views about what the future of Gardeners World should be as there are posters, so it’s pretty much guaranteed that whatever they do, some won’t like it?

Grammaretto Sun 13-Sept-26 19:21:10

Adam has said he's happy to be the supply teacher.

JenniRen Sun 13-Sept-26 21:27:23

Grammaretto

Adam has said he's happy to be the supply teacher.

Love it!!
👨‍🌾

Violetbynight Mon 14-Sept-26 09:04:46

I will miss Monty very much. I can’t think who will fill his place. He’s a soothing personality and a real, roll up your sleeves gardener. What a shame to have to say goodbye to his garden and the delightful dogs. His books are good too, a relaxing poetic reed.

Basgetti Mon 14-Sept-26 09:26:33

The News Quiz, I think it was, linked his stepping down to the upcoming announcement of the new James Bond 🤣

AskAlice Mon 14-Sept-26 10:22:45

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Joe Swift.

merlotgran Mon 14-Sept-26 10:30:49

I like Joe Swift but I think there has been a falling out with the BBC. He’s already been dropped from presenting at Chelsea.

JenniRen Mon 14-Sept-26 11:14:08

I like Joe Swift too but read that he'd had a falling out with the BBC. A pity.
He looks more like his father every time I see him.

Violetbynight Mon 14-Sept-26 11:21:42

As a possible replacement I would have liked Adam Frost, but unluckily he has been battling against fibromyalgia. Joe Swift also has his problems, he has osteoarthritis, but this might not stop his gardening career. Difficult to replace the charm of Monty though.

Kandinsky Mon 14-Sept-26 11:29:37

I like Joe Swift too.
Mind you, they’re all a bit too old for a 10/ 20 year stint.
Carol Klein must be 80! And even Adam Frost is pushing 60.
I’d like a totally unknown, but brilliant 30 or 40 year old to bring a new, fresh approach, but I doubt they’ll go with that.

25Avalon Mon 14-Sept-26 14:00:28

Nooooo! I can’t stand Joe Swift - his posturings and his hat which I reckon is glued to his head. His knowledge is also minimal.

HelterSkelter1 Mon 14-Sept-26 14:20:51

I agree Kandinsky a younger fresher gardener would attract a younger audience as well. And plenty of viewers gardens slots of all shapes and sizes.

Beechnut Mon 14-Sept-26 19:16:49

I’d like to see more of Nick Bailey.