Gardeners' World tonight.

grin grin

janeainsworth Thu 12-Jul-18 21:08:08

He looks like one of the Flowerpot Men, doesn’t he?grin

Mapleleaf Thu 12-Jul-18 21:41:52

Bless him. ??
Somehow, it suits him!

Fennel Thu 12-Jul-18 21:47:59

A bit like Pooter's holiday hat in Diary of a Nobody. My husband has a hat like that. He looks a bit odd in it but he doesn't care!
I've got used to it.

Greyduster Thu 12-Jul-18 22:13:51

Looks like the dog’s been at it. In fact everything he wears looks like the dog’s been at it! Apologies to all MD fans.

Jalima1108 Thu 12-Jul-18 22:19:43

I liked it!
Can't think who or what he reminds me of but something or someone nice. smile

Auntieflo Fri 13-Jul-18 08:51:27

I think janeainsworth got it in one. Flowerpot men, exactly.

Mapleleaf Sat 14-Jul-18 23:32:32

I liked the flowerpot men! ?
( Goodness, that brings back memories of. "watch with Mother")!

Diana54 Sun 15-Jul-18 06:58:17

I was thinking Wursel Gumidge but Bill & Ben is probably the deliberate BBC connection I guess the TV audience is predominately our age group. The directors are counting on us regressing into our childhood!.

travelsafar Sun 15-Jul-18 07:13:47

To me, Monty always looks rather bohemian. He would fit in with the Bloomsbury Set quite easily me thinks.

OldMeg Sun 15-Jul-18 07:17:00

Can’t help but love him and the fact he doesn’t care.

Telly Sun 15-Jul-18 12:30:41

I was thinking of starting a page on go fund me for a new hat for Monty! Actually I find him quite irritating at times. You know save the planet recycling plastic while he jets round the world. Bet he is not in economy either.........

Fennel Sun 15-Jul-18 12:46:20

I walked down to Tesco's this am (Geordieland) and was surprised to see quite few male locals wearing a straw hat, something like Monty's.

Fennel Sun 15-Jul-18 12:47:34

ps I wore my own version, a blue soft linen hat with a wide brim I bought from JL many years ago.

merlotgran Sun 15-Jul-18 13:20:43

Telly. I don't think he jets around the world that often but when he does it's to film exquisite documentaries about the world's most beautiful gardens.

How else is he supposed to get there?

Greyduster Sun 15-Jul-18 13:59:24

He could ride a donkey - along with bare feet, his attire would probably be quite suited to a donkey (ducks behind sandbags to avoid flak!).

Joelsnan Sun 15-Jul-18 14:11:19

I always think he is trying to emulate vincent van gogh with his attire, straw hat and steam train driver type suits.

Telly Sun 15-Jul-18 18:27:30

Hmm. Monty's favourite hotel is in Jamaica so I rather think he is jetting about rather a lot!

Mapleleaf Sun 15-Jul-18 18:29:46

Precisely, merlotgran.
Could proffer the same argument about David Attenborough and any of the other naturalists who bring us fantastic films and information of our wonderful world. They also bring to our attention many of the plights our wildlife faces. How else would they get to these places, Telly?
Thank goodness, too, that they are bringing to our attention the harm plastic does, but without travelling to different places, we wouldn't be aware of the extent of the damage, would we?
Air travel isn't going to go away any time soon, either. Too many people love their package holidays...

Mapleleaf Sun 15-Jul-18 18:31:19

Lots of people jet off to places, Telly.

Telly Sun 15-Jul-18 18:45:47

Yes, I know but someone said they thought he didn't jet off that often. We all know that if you want to be green then air travel is off of the agenda. Just saying....

Agus Sun 15-Jul-18 18:46:16

How else would Monty be able to give us some worthwhile ‘telly’ viewing ?

To be able to wander around a variety of beautiful gardens with him are visits that give pleasure to so many who are not fortunate enough to see them in real life.

Mapleleaf Sun 15-Jul-18 18:55:10

Unfortunately, there isn't any viable alternative at the moment to air travel if we want things quickly, or need to get to places quickly. For example, think about the recent rescue of the boys in the cave in Thailand. Without air travel, many of those divers would not have been there and those boys would have died in those caves.
Fighting the recent fires on the moors have relied on aircraft to reach them to drop water to try to put them out.
The air ambulances reach scenes of devastation far more quickly than vehicles on the road.
Many of the foodstuffs we have come to rely on reach us via air travel.
And so on. Just saying...

travelsafar Mon 16-Jul-18 06:53:00

How quickly the OP has changed.

We were discussing Monty's straw hat, now we are discussing air travel!!! smile

OldMeg Mon 16-Jul-18 06:57:02

Only because Telly finds this inoffensive man ‘irritating’ and wants to paint him in a bad light. Some people are easily irritated!

Pity it was a nice light thread.