Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What was your favourite/worst subject at school?

(66 Posts)
effblinder Thu 04-Aug-11 12:31:19

I always think this tells you so much about a person:

I loved English and Latin and HATED Physics so much.

My poor physics teacher, she must've had a tough time with us!

glassortwo Fri 05-Aug-11 08:21:54

Binary and logarithms (sp) thats all I am going to say confused

biggran Fri 05-Aug-11 10:38:25

History and English Literature = good. Maths = bad!
Strange so many of us hated maths. It was considered odd in my family as everyone else was brilliant at maths.
I think the education system was poor back then. I too went to the local convent school, where good deprtment and manners were considered more important than academic achievement. After all, we were only going to work until we got married and then we would keep house for our husbands and bring up hordes of children.
I tore up that script the day I left school - still one of the happiest days of my life.

Joan Fri 05-Aug-11 11:42:54

I loved Latin French and German, loathed Physics, feared chemistry and maths, but my absolute deepest loathing was for PE (ie sport). The teacher hated me and I hated her back. The thing is, I was quite fit, a cyclist, and went to judo classes two nights a week, but her nasty attitude was off-putting. The difference between school sport and non-school sport was astounding. In judo and cycling I was encouraged: in school sport I was belittled.

This was at a standard co-ed Grammar School - the kind you went to when you passed your 11+.

I was allowed to drop physics and chemistry, and I got put down to the middle stream for maths, which enabled me to pass the subject - just - at GCE 'O' level.

When Mum and Dad told me I was not allowed to stay for my A levels, even though I got 8 O levels, I fought back a little bit, but the knowledge that I would no longer have to suffer PE probably took the edge off my fight. I gave in and left, and went to work in the civil service, where I was deeply unhappy. My own fault - I should have fought harder.

A bad teacher can have a bad effect on a person's life.

Granny23 Fri 05-Aug-11 11:58:43

I (always the odd one out!) totally 'got' maths. I could never understand why others found it so difficult and eventually I was hopeless at 'tutoring' my own daughters because they just could not see what was staring them in the face. I think this is the problem with many Maths teachers. They have never struggled themselves and cannot see what the problems are.

I liked maths because if you got them all right you got 100%, whereas with English, French, etc. you might do very well but no one ever got 100% as the essays were subject to someone else's opinion.

Although I did not like school (too many petty rules) I reckon we did get a good education and had some excellent teachers with an enthusiasm for their subject which was infectious. This was an 'Academy', Scottish equivalent of a Grammer school.

Joan Fri 05-Aug-11 12:09:32

Yes, with maths it seems you've either got it or you haven't. My older brother was good at maths and bad at Latin. We tried to help each other, but neither of us could understand the difficulty the other had. Luckily the maths teacher in the middle stream was really understanding, never impatient or sarky, and helped me through, somehow.

One day I was totally out of it, and just couldn't get what he was teaching us. I took to staring at a picture on the wall - it was a print of Van Gogh's Sunflowers. I stared and stared, the teacher kept glancing at me but I was transfixed on the picture - then it fell off the hook on to the floor.

He asked, jokingly, "How did you manage that, Joan?" "It wasn't easy" I said. After that he was still friendly, but always a little wary of me!!!

JessM Fri 05-Aug-11 12:35:28

Maths badly taught my dears. It was not you. It was all about tables and long division. Once a child starts believing it is hard and they cant do it then it will be. Negative thinking is really powerful.

Joan Fri 05-Aug-11 14:30:51

I believed I would be good at chemistry - I fancied myself as a Marie Curie when I was 11. But it didn't take, somehow. Right from the first lesson when the teacher tried to capture our imagination by putting two chemicals in a test tube, so it would fizz and change colour, I forgot to listen to him while I was pondering and trying to picture what was really going on in the test tube!

As for maths - well, yes, i had already had a bit of negative feedback about my arithmetic at junior school so i guess the failure feeling was there. I became a bookkeeper in later life, though this was because I prefer to work alone, not in a team, and bookkeeping is like that. In my last job I did bookkeeping and translating - obviously I like the translating better. I learned to deal with foreign exchange, PUT options, currency futures, hedging, and to use spreadsheets for various processes. It's amazing what you can do when you have to.

My old maths teacher would have been proud of me.

artygran Fri 05-Aug-11 14:51:48

I have to take issue over the secondary modern system. Maybe we just got a good one but I don't remember any of the teachers being anything but totally committed to us and always prepared to go the extra mile. We didn't like all of them and I daresay they didn't like some of us, but we respected them. We had relatively small classes compared to comprehensives and our headmaster knew us all by name. Many of the people in my year went on to further education, good technical apprenticeships and eventually to managerial positions. I don't remember anyone giving up on us because we had missed out on the grammar school, and many of the girls I knew who had gone to grammar school did less well than me in the long run.

Granny23 Fri 05-Aug-11 15:01:35

Yes Artygran - those of us who went to the Academy but left at 15 had to go to night school to do the shorthand and typing which the girls from the Secondary Mod had already under their belts. Three years of Latin has never been much use in Adult life

mrshat Fri 05-Aug-11 16:35:29

Usless at Maths and Art! Fine with maths now but still can't draw a straight line even with a ruler and never ask me to hang wallpaper! Loved English and strangely Botany - I think this had more to do with the teachers than anything else. Both tiny little fear inducing nuns! [sceptical]

raggygranny Fri 05-Aug-11 17:18:25

I too went to a convent school and though 'ladylike' behaviour was certainly important, the nuns were hugely ambitious for us and stressed the importance of hard work and academic achievement - there was never any implication that because we were girls we should set our sights lower. The fact that I was useless at Physics and Chemistry was seen as defeatist rather than stupidity - I was selling myself short by not attempting O-levels in them. But I knew my limitations and eventually convinced them that I would be better off concentrating on subjects I knew I had a chance of passing!

Libradi Fri 05-Aug-11 20:43:36

My favourite subject was English and I hated Maths. My best friend and I would sit in the back of the maths class reading a Victoria Holt novel under the desk. The teacher never seemed to bother with us as we were 'quiet'

absentgrana Mon 22-Aug-11 15:35:37

I think my liking and disliking subjects changed a lot depending on who was teaching them. I loved history until I was stuck with a really hopeless teacher in the year when we chose our O level subjects. I was never interested in geography until I encountered a truly inspiring teacher in the same year. Latin always seemed such a tediously logical language, even once I managed to grasp that nouns and adjectives agree rather than rhyme. Sciences were okay but didn't really grab me and I have never managed to grasp the principles of electricity. Languages came easily to me so I enjoyed French and Spanish and I originally intended to study them at university, but again I was so inspired by a particular teacher that I finished up with an English degree.

kittylester Mon 22-Aug-11 15:42:16

I too 'got' Maths and loved English and History but hated all sciences and sport. Loved 'Domestic Science' until Miss Holmes (funny I've never forgotten her name!!) told me she hoped I didn't get married and have children as they would all starve to death if they had to rely on my cooking. If I only knew where to find her I would introduce her to my 5 grown up kids! smile

absentgrana Mon 22-Aug-11 15:50:41

Oh kittylester You have let out my worst school demon. I hated, loathed, abhorred, detested lacrosse. Shivering all afternoon on a windswept pitch once a week, knee deep in mud, wearing the most ridiculous grey skirt-shorts and great heavy boots and being yelled at to "cradle the ball , girl, cradle and run". I am told that lacrosse was invented by Native Americans; I bet they gave it up in favour of something less brutal, like scalping. It is an abomination – and now I shall probably dream about it tonight.

Baggy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:10:58

They still play, absent! There was something in the news not long ago when members of an Iroquois team were refuse entry to Britain because they had passports issued by the Iroquois Confederacy rather than from the Canadian government.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us+canada-10634044

Lacrosse was the only school sport I was any good at.

Jacey Mon 22-Aug-11 16:18:34

Baggy what a font of information you are ...I don't know how I came to miss that news item ...I thought we had 'human rights' laws? ...this seems to be very racist!!
I don't suppose it had anything to do with England's first match being against them? shock

GoldenGran Mon 22-Aug-11 16:34:49

Loathed Maths and had nightmares about my teacher. Loved English history and biology.

Faye Mon 22-Aug-11 16:40:53

I loved art and did well at it and I hated maths and was bad at it. I am definitely a right brain person! smile

Oldgreymare Mon 22-Aug-11 17:32:15

Loved Geography but only left the classroom once to look at a 'watery sun' foreteller of rain aparently! Yet we lived close to an area where there was obvious and amazing evidence of glaciation, coastal erosion etc. etc.(Sorry to be pedantic!)
Also enjoyed Biology and got a high mark when I took it at 'O' level a year early.
Thus I wanted to combine those 2 subjects with one other at 'A'level. Despite being at a very large Comprehensive School (Anglesey was the first county to go fully Comprehensive in the late 50s!) I was NOT allowed to, so much for choice!
As for Maths..... missed 3 weeks in the 5th year ( Appendix op) and missed the introduction to Trigonometry so never really got the hang of it! Asked the teacher for help and was given the sort of answer that would get ensure instant dismissal today!!!
Why am I posting all this? blush

Oldgreymare Mon 22-Aug-11 17:33:35

Sorry.... get is superfluous! confused

Annobel Mon 22-Aug-11 17:41:34

I'm not sure if I liked English because I was good at it or good at it because I liked it. I also liked French, Latin and History for the same reason. Maths I could do, bit wasn't interested. Liked hockey, but didn't make the first XI.

grannyscalpay Mon 22-Aug-11 17:50:36

Hated Physics too! Loved English and French - also Latin, when I finally got the hang of it.

glammanana Mon 22-Aug-11 22:48:00

I loved domestic science and PE and also maths,unfortunatley the domestic science teacher did not like me I think,she alway's found fault and said if I ever had a family they would live in the Chip shop,when DH and I moved to the house of our dreams(with the big nightmare of a mortgage)the teacher only lived over the road from us didn't she,but in the nearly 20yrs we lived there she never let on she knew me,and every time I saw her I said Good Morning Mrs White.

fluffy Thu 17-Nov-11 16:51:19

My best friend and I absolutely hated everything to do with school so we were always trying to get our mums to write notes to excuse us from going at all. My friends mum ran out of ideas and wrote a note asking for my friend to-be excused because she had anorexia (relatively unheard of then in the 60's) I mean she was slim but not that slim. We used to stay at home and watch house party - remember that? I dont know how we got away with it!