Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What was your favourite/worst subject at school?

(66 Posts)
effblinder Thu 04-Aug-11 12:31:19

I always think this tells you so much about a person:

I loved English and Latin and HATED Physics so much.

My poor physics teacher, she must've had a tough time with us!

annannasoon Fri 06-Apr-12 15:02:12

I was terrible at everything left a direct grant school with English Lit and Language and Art O Levels and scraped a 2 in CSE Maths. All made worse because my sister was a star pupil. Really surprised myself by going to Uni at 30 after getting A-Levels and got a degree.
Some people aren't ready to embrace academia in their teens- unfortunately its become far harder to pick up again later in life.

yogagran Wed 04-Apr-12 23:43:57

This is interesting - could you still do it?

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1030673/Could-pass-11-plus-Exam-papers-used-1950s-puts-family-test.html

PoppaRob Wed 04-Apr-12 02:56:01

I always enjoyed anything to do with the sciences so long as it wasn't too dry (eg physics and chem) but my passion was biology, I'd read Hugh Lofting and Gerald Durrell as a kid so anything with chlorophyll or a heartbeat and I was there!

Economics was a favourite lesson as our teacher was a WWII tank commander and it didn't take much to get him off the track. Someone would ask about steel production in the Ruhr and he was off on delightful tangent that lasted until the bell rang! smile

The downside was our headmaster who was a C of E canon and grand master of the Lodge and an odious waste of oxygen, but of course our parents thought he must be a wonderful man simply because he was a C of E canon and grand master of the Lodge. sad

dizzyblonde Tue 03-Apr-12 14:31:23

I thought I was bad at maths thanks to the awful free learning system in place at my primary school in the mid seventies. We could do what we wanted when we wanted and I was scared of the maths teacher so never did it. Read my way round the library though because the 'naughty boys' never went there and I was scared of them too.
Didn't learn my tables etc and it's always held me back in Maths. Love algebra though and got a B at O level so couldn't be that bad at it.
Loved all science subjects and hated Art and drama.
I would have much prefered an old fashioned way of learning instead of the comprehensive system I was forced to endure.

Joan Tue 03-Apr-12 13:42:04

Just had a rethink.

Loved Latin.

Hated sport.

Looking back, the reason was teaching. The Latin teacher was a lovely man, a gifted teacher. The PE mistress was an evil sadistic creature from hell.

Generally I was good at arts subjects, poor at science (except biology) and maths (except geometry).

Annika Tue 03-Apr-12 13:36:59

My favourite subjects were english, P.E and domestic science, thats fancy words for cooking !!
I hated science, all I can remember of the lessons was drawing a bunsen burner and pressing some leaves in a book .
French was not high on my lessons to enjoy so I was never any good at it I did once come second in an exam but that was because the girl in front of me left her paper out where I could see it. She came first !blush

feetlebaum Tue 03-Apr-12 12:55:28

French - the only school prize I ever received was for French in my GCE year. I enjoyed English, too. My true bête noir was, and is, sixty years on, mathematics.

Duh, I just don't got that kind of brain!

Ariadne Fri 30-Mar-12 18:56:51

English, English, English - and French, and Latin, and History. Liked Greek, hated Geography, Maths, all the sciences except biology (really liked it)

It was Maths that made me feel completely inadequate. Still could, but I can do Arithmetic so what the hell!

jeni Fri 30-Mar-12 18:49:10

Loved chemistry, biology, English, history and RE! Hated physics and Latin.
Am I arts or science orientated?confused

greenmossgiel Fri 30-Mar-12 18:08:28

Loved English and hated Maths - loved Art and didn't like the science subjects. So I suppose that means I was fine with anything where I could use my imagination, and not very good with the other stuff! confused

Carol Fri 30-Mar-12 17:56:08

Loved English Language and Biology, hated History and Maths. Disliked with an intensity practically every teacher in the school, and loathed the head most of all. Glad to leave and despite being last to receive my leaving certificate (History teacher taunting me) I was first out of that gate and never went back!

curlynana Fri 30-Mar-12 17:37:59

I loved English and Maths but hated French and History. History was so boring at school but I've loved History since I left school! It was the way it was taught I reckon just reading from a text book.

Lizzylou Fri 30-Mar-12 12:21:43

My favourite lesson was History. My pet hate was Maths.

Pennysue Thu 17-Nov-11 22:49:43

School - hated it. Still have a phobia about teachers. The day I left by the front gate (which we were not allowed to do!) I swore I would never go back. Unfortunately 13 years later my daughter went there so I had the dreaded parent’s evenings to attend. Put up with her teachers telling me something I knew "her handwriting is appalling" Had enough of it so, each time I sat before a Teacher, I started the conversation with "her hand writing is appalling - your profession has made a lousy job of it” It was never mentioned again.

Now my daughter would probably be told she has dyslexia but we just thought up ways of her overcoming her problems with little rhymes and, strangely, on a computer she has no problem. Her Dad has the same problem but they are both Engineers!

Greatnan Thu 17-Nov-11 17:18:12

I loved all the academic subjects and hated the practical - needlework, cookery, P.E. and games.

fluffy Thu 17-Nov-11 16:51:19

My best friend and I absolutely hated everything to do with school so we were always trying to get our mums to write notes to excuse us from going at all. My friends mum ran out of ideas and wrote a note asking for my friend to-be excused because she had anorexia (relatively unheard of then in the 60's) I mean she was slim but not that slim. We used to stay at home and watch house party - remember that? I dont know how we got away with it!

glammanana Mon 22-Aug-11 22:48:00

I loved domestic science and PE and also maths,unfortunatley the domestic science teacher did not like me I think,she alway's found fault and said if I ever had a family they would live in the Chip shop,when DH and I moved to the house of our dreams(with the big nightmare of a mortgage)the teacher only lived over the road from us didn't she,but in the nearly 20yrs we lived there she never let on she knew me,and every time I saw her I said Good Morning Mrs White.

grannyscalpay Mon 22-Aug-11 17:50:36

Hated Physics too! Loved English and French - also Latin, when I finally got the hang of it.

Annobel Mon 22-Aug-11 17:41:34

I'm not sure if I liked English because I was good at it or good at it because I liked it. I also liked French, Latin and History for the same reason. Maths I could do, bit wasn't interested. Liked hockey, but didn't make the first XI.

Oldgreymare Mon 22-Aug-11 17:33:35

Sorry.... get is superfluous! confused

Oldgreymare Mon 22-Aug-11 17:32:15

Loved Geography but only left the classroom once to look at a 'watery sun' foreteller of rain aparently! Yet we lived close to an area where there was obvious and amazing evidence of glaciation, coastal erosion etc. etc.(Sorry to be pedantic!)
Also enjoyed Biology and got a high mark when I took it at 'O' level a year early.
Thus I wanted to combine those 2 subjects with one other at 'A'level. Despite being at a very large Comprehensive School (Anglesey was the first county to go fully Comprehensive in the late 50s!) I was NOT allowed to, so much for choice!
As for Maths..... missed 3 weeks in the 5th year ( Appendix op) and missed the introduction to Trigonometry so never really got the hang of it! Asked the teacher for help and was given the sort of answer that would get ensure instant dismissal today!!!
Why am I posting all this? blush

Faye Mon 22-Aug-11 16:40:53

I loved art and did well at it and I hated maths and was bad at it. I am definitely a right brain person! smile

GoldenGran Mon 22-Aug-11 16:34:49

Loathed Maths and had nightmares about my teacher. Loved English history and biology.

Jacey Mon 22-Aug-11 16:18:34

Baggy what a font of information you are ...I don't know how I came to miss that news item ...I thought we had 'human rights' laws? ...this seems to be very racist!!
I don't suppose it had anything to do with England's first match being against them? shock

Baggy Mon 22-Aug-11 16:10:58

They still play, absent! There was something in the news not long ago when members of an Iroquois team were refuse entry to Britain because they had passports issued by the Iroquois Confederacy rather than from the Canadian government.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us+canada-10634044

Lacrosse was the only school sport I was any good at.