Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Favourite Christmas songs or carols

(59 Posts)
Divawithattitude Fri 04-Nov-11 19:17:52

What is yours?

I love the Angel Carol by John Rutter, one for choirs really but beautiful, and Away in a Manger sung by small children, or Little Donkey.

And apart from that Lonely this Christmas by MUD.

numberplease Thu 17-Nov-11 16:36:38

Adeste Fideles, peferably sung in Latin, not English, and also I`m another fan of In The Bleak Midwinter, it`s lovely.
Christmas song wise, I love CLIFF Richard singing Mistletoe and Wine, and, although it wasn`t written strictly for Christmas, Johnny Mathis singing Wnen a Child is Born can reduce me to tears.

kittylester Thu 17-Nov-11 16:48:18

I just remembered Harry Belafonte singing Scarlet Ribbons. I've not heard it for years but it could reduce me to a puddle quite easily!

crimson Thu 17-Nov-11 21:47:07

There was an article in my Bunty annual one Christmas about how Silent Night came to be written and I'm sure it said that the church organ stopped working and the guy who wrote it sang it with a guitar to the congregation. Poetic licence pehaps? Either way, the story stuck in my head [and I can still picture it in my head...I so loved my Christmas Bunty annuals..]

Grannylin Thu 17-Nov-11 21:55:28

Diversion here, but I loved Bunty, Crimson.Joined the club, had a penfriend but best of all couldn't wait every week for the next cut-out outfit with tabs to put on the paper girl!

crimson Thu 17-Nov-11 23:25:51

..they've got some really old Buntys on ebay but I don't know how to bid for them; I'm sure I recognise the covers.

Marjie Fri 18-Nov-11 23:42:56

I am very fond of Oh Night Divine. In my choir we are singing a version which incorporates Silent Night. It sounds beautiful.

Slightly off topic but listened to JLS singing their new single. It is based on a lovely Carol, " Do you hear what I hear ?", but the words are now all about meeting a girl in a club and having a drink. AIBU to find this slightly offensive?

dc Mon 21-Nov-11 16:42:05

joan, thanks for your comprehensive answer, it just about fits the bits i remember of the film i saw.once again, many thanks

NannaAnna Mon 21-Nov-11 18:18:35

Fairytale of New York - Kirsty McColl with The Pogues

Butternut Mon 21-Nov-11 18:57:01

Yes, I really like your choice, NannaAnna.

Pennysue Mon 21-Nov-11 20:06:06

Like gma - once in Royal David's City' sung at the Kings College carol service broadcast live on the BBC Christmas Eve always moves me. Seems like Christmas has started. This from a pagan!

jingl Tue 22-Nov-11 17:30:38

Hark the Herald.

I like "risen with healing in his wings".

em Tue 22-Nov-11 22:37:54

Really enjoy most carols and songs. Pet hate is 'Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas' which I find very patronising! Not a Cliff Richard fan but anything from Fairytale of New York to Messiah will do nicely. Given the current ad's I think I might like the new Michael Buble cd too.

Joan Wed 23-Nov-11 05:09:01

'Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas' bugs me too - makes me feel like throwing up! Never did like soppy stuff though.

Maniac Sun 09-Dec-12 12:20:04

We've had no mention of carols yet this year.
My DD has had a bout of nostalgia.You might enjoy the tape she dug out of our version of 'Deck the Halls' recorded over 40 yrs ago.
Family singers' -on DDs blog

Maniac Sun 09-Dec-12 12:29:09

That didn't work .Try partington family singers or scroll down on
Partington's Blog

Maniac Sun 09-Dec-12 12:30:11

I give up!!!!

Granny23 Sun 09-Dec-12 12:58:01

Did anyone see Rod Stewart's Christmas Party at Stirling Castle shown on the box last night? He managed to turn every carol or Christmas song into a dirge and sang, what I can only think is the American version of Silent Night and to end murdered Auld Lang Syne. His biggest crime however was that he had Nichola Benedettie, Kylie Minogue and Michael Buble as guests and they were each permitted one duet with Rod - nothing on their own, what a waste of top talent. He also had backing singers, child singers, full orchestra, backing group and pipers. DH took great exception to the Celtic Football Club logo on the drummer's kit.

We watched because we can see the Castle from our house and, indeed, were rewarded by panoramic views from the Castle showing our hills and the lights of the village but otherwise what an expensive farce!

Mishap Sun 09-Dec-12 13:13:32

I hate - "popped up" carols played in supermarkets and shopping centres - yukk and double yukk!!

I love - Bethlehem Down by Peter Warlock - sad in places but the harmonies are magic. And West Gallery carols that are still sung in pubs round the north of England - a good lusty sound intended for a motley crew of singers and players - Sweet Chiming Bells, Hail Smiling Morn etc. Live music that is genuine and not messed about with - wonderful!

annodomini Sun 09-Dec-12 13:41:22

I so agree, Mishap - the disco style carols that emanate from the Round Table's Santa Sleigh (due any time now) turns me into Scrooge. I once told the collector that I disliked their noise pollution but don't think he understood me. OK - not quite Scrooge: I do give them a donation and hope they'll move on quickly. Bah, humbug! grin

Daisyanswerdo Sun 09-Dec-12 23:31:19

Thanks for the reminder of 'Bethlehem Down' Mishap - it's beautiful. There's a medieval English carol called 'Hail Mary full of grace' that I love. One Christmas a few years ago I couldn't find the cassette tape I had with 'Hail Mary' on it. I gave up and went and turned on the radio. 'Hail Mary full of grace' was being broadcast at that moment - an amazing coincidence.

Maniac Mon 10-Dec-12 08:03:51

Does anyone remember 'Like silver lamps on a distant shrine the stars are sparkling bright'? I haven't heard it for years.Used to sing it as a child.

bluebell Mon 10-Dec-12 08:18:25

Tar Barrel in Dale ( new year really) The Unthanks

NannaB Mon 10-Dec-12 08:26:29

Hearing the Salvation Army Band playing Carols always moves me. The original Band Aid 'Do they know it's Christmas' does it for me.

Jodi Mon 10-Dec-12 08:43:32

One of the sweetest sounds is listening to little ones trying out the words of Christmas songs they have heard. I was listening to my barely 2-year old great nephew singing to himself the words of Away in a Manger as he played with a toy train.
It really touched me that he had so many of the words and the tune was carried so well smile

Mishap Mon 10-Dec-12 09:17:47

I saw a clip of the switching on of the lights outside No.10 - they had a couple of participants (?winners!!) of some TV talent show who then sang a carol - it was truly appalling!!! - and even DC looked as though he might be sick!