Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Favourite Christmas songs or carols

(58 Posts)
Divawithattitude Fri 04-Nov-11 19:17:52

What is yours?

I love the Angel Carol by John Rutter, one for choirs really but beautiful, and Away in a Manger sung by small children, or Little Donkey.

And apart from that Lonely this Christmas by MUD.

shysal Fri 04-Nov-11 19:54:37

Last Christmas by Wham is my favourite seasonal song.
I suppose it will not be long before we start hearing the usual stuff in shops, which always irritates me when it is too early - I feel sorry for the staff.

kittylester Fri 04-Nov-11 19:59:11

O Little Town of Bethlehem for the carol and Fairy Tale of New York for the song. I taught my best friend who was/is a catholic. "O Little Town" because I've always loved it. She asked her priest if he knew it and was told to say a few "Hail Marys" Oops!

susiecb Sat 05-Nov-11 10:05:01

My Christmas isn't made until I hear 'For unto us a child is born' from the Messiah. I am completely undone by Bing Crosby White Christams - reminds me of my parents and you cant avoid it. I could personally strange Noddy Holder and his Merry Christmas song and bloody Wham Last Christmas and as for Stiff Richards Mistletoe and Wine - poke my eyes out with a sharp stick!!!

absentgrana Sat 05-Nov-11 10:07:38

I have a fondness for In the Bleak Midwinter. I hate Gatwick's Greatest Christmas Hits played in lifts and department stores throughout November and December.

glammanana Sat 05-Nov-11 10:25:41

I don't really have a favourite as I enjoy and TRY to sing along to most of them,I do like the childrens carole's that they sing at the school concert's all those little one's at their first concert getting the word's wrong,wonderful.

crimson Sat 05-Nov-11 10:30:46

Oh Come Oh Come Emmanuel sends shivers up my spine; one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

glammanana Sat 05-Nov-11 10:37:01

I will be singing carole's all day to-day now after reading this x

Joan Sat 05-Nov-11 10:38:15

I also like Bleak Midwinter - the words conjure up the icy winters of my youth.

I want to commit murder when i hear Little Drummer Boy - yukkkkkkkkk. There are other American Christmas songs that turn me into a scrooge-like creature growling "Bah Humbug".

When it comes to children's carols, you do get hear some hilarious words. I seem to remember reading about one little one singing 'Round John Virgin' for 'Round yon virgin'!

We got plenty deliberately wrong when we were kids, of course:

God rest ye Jerry Mentalmen

Good King Wenseslas looked out, of his bedroom window
Silly bugger he fell out on a red hot cinder
Brightly shone his bum that night though the frost was cruel
Then the Doctor came in sight, riding of a muuu oooo el

While shepherds washed their socks by night.

Plenty others I've forgotten through the dim mists of time....

glammanana Sat 05-Nov-11 10:49:54

Wonderful memories Joan

Ariadne Sat 05-Nov-11 11:19:10

"See, amid the winter snow.." And I totally agree about "Come, oh come.."!
And the first verse of "Once in royal David's city" sung by a chorister.

Hate most of the jolly Christmas songs, but have a sneaking fondness for "Deck the halls".

crimson Sat 05-Nov-11 12:19:11

I always mean to read A Christmas Carol in the run up to Christmas, but then don't get round to doing so. Can you imagine Christmas without it. In fact, did Dickens 'invent' Christmas as we know it?

goldengirl Sat 05-Nov-11 12:48:18

'In the Bleak Midwinter'. I used to sing it at the top of my voice when I walked the dog across the fields with the mist hanging in the trees and the ground crunching under foot. No-one around!!!!!

Jacey Sat 05-Nov-11 13:12:57

Yes Goldengirl for me it is also In the Bleak Midwinter and totally agree about Bing Crosby and 'White Christmas' susiecb ... so many memories of my childhood Christmases

Butternut Sat 05-Nov-11 14:21:48

For the sheer fun of great memories - "All I want for Christmas is You" - by Mariah Carey.
It was played endlessly on the radio when we had a road trip in the States with our son and family one Thanksgiving. We always joined in....

Otherwise, 'Come, oh come Emmanuel' takes a lot of beating.

Sbagran Sat 05-Nov-11 15:16:15

Take it you're not keen on 'my darling Cliff' singing Mistletoe and Wine susie !!! grin Agree with you about the others though, especially The Messiah. Had better keep sharp sticks away from you!!!

kittylester I would love to know where that Catholic Priest was from who made that comment about O Little Town of Bethlehem - It is one of my favourites and we have it EVERY year at our Catholic Midnight Mass with absolutely no repercussions - not even a thunderbolt.

Had to smile at the mentions of the 'wrong' words being used joan - my kids said once that they had sung the beetroot hymn!
- turned out to be 'We will BE TRUE TO thee til death'

Going back to carols, the one that really winds me up is 'We will rock you' - a beautiful carol but why does it always sung as 'We will raw queue?' !!!

Granny23 Sat 05-Nov-11 15:45:51

And then there is that old Scottish Carol 'A Wean in a Manger'

artygran Sat 05-Nov-11 17:31:38

It has to be 'In the Bleak Midwinter' (but the Harold Darke composition, rather than the Gustav Holst one) sung by King's College Choir, and 'Quem Pastores Laudavere', and the 'Shepherd's Pipe Carol' by John Rutter. And 'Tommorrow is my Dancing Day'. Too many to mention, really. I don't care much for Christmas - it seems to have lost its way - but I do love the music....

GoldenGran Sat 05-Nov-11 17:34:52

Anngel Carol and See Amid the Winter Snow,*Granny 23*grin

crimson Sat 05-Nov-11 18:40:20

Used to see Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band at Christmas, but they don't come to Derby any more. They do a carol called Personent Hodie; I've heard it so many times in Latin I can't remember what it's other name is. I bought a beautiful cd of Christmas songs by the Mediaeval Babes a few years ago, but I lost a very dear friend that Christmas and it hurts to listen to it.

gma Sat 05-Nov-11 20:56:23

'Once in Royal David's City' sung at the Kings College carol service on Christmas Eve is unbeatable for traditional Christmas hymn, Fairytale of New York, by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl for the modern touch. Nothing but Nothing by Stiff Richard thanks very much. (p.s. What has 100 feet and no teeth.......The front row of a stiff richard concert!!!!!!) Oops sorry fans...... wink
Wine o'clock wine (late tonight)

Joan Sat 05-Nov-11 22:03:09

Quote gma:
Nothing but Nothing by Stiff Richard thanks very much. (p.s. What has 100 feet and no teeth.......The front row of a stiff richard concert!!!!!!) Oops sorry fans...
Oh dear - I'm just as bad regarding his godliness, the only celibate pop singer in the known universe. Keeps him looking young though. (Which probably explains where my looks went....)

Annika Sat 05-Nov-11 22:21:03

Harry Belafonte - Marys Boy Child mum and dad used to play that every Christmas, it was on a 78rpm record !!!!! I was only a child but I still love it even now . From one extreme to another I also like A fairytale of New York -by The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl
As for Christmas carols it has to be Hark the herald angles sing.
I have just thought of Have yourself a merry little christmas -by Judy Garland It always brings a little tear to my eye its a sad song makes me think of my lovely sister who is no longer with me

dc Wed 16-Nov-11 10:26:25

can anybody recall a film showing how silent night came to be. i think it might have been an austrian/german film. quite lovely. i have never seen it since

Joan Wed 16-Nov-11 11:33:16

Here's what I found on wiki and another site.....

The film
1933: first movie about 'Silent night, holy night'
Under the direction of Hans Marr and with Felix Gruber as Franz X.Gruber produced 1933 the first film about the world famous christmas carol. (German, english subtitles)

The story
The original lyrics of the song "Stille Nacht" were written in Oberndorf bei Salzburg, Austria, by the priest Father Joseph Mohr and the melody was composed by the Austrian headmaster Franz Xaver Gruber. In 1859, John Freeman Young (second Bishop, Episcopal Diocese of Florida) published the English translation that is most frequently sung today.[1] The version of the melody that is generally sung today differs slightly (particularly in the final strain) from Gruber's original, which was a sprightly, dance-like tune in 6/8 time, as opposed to the slow, meditative lullaby version generally sung today. Today, the lyrics and melody are in the public domain.