Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Can I find my lost cousin?

(9 Posts)
MargaretX Sun 25-Nov-12 18:41:40

I found my lost cousin. Remember seeing her last when she was about 12. My mother said the parents had been married for 12 years before my cousin appeared- a miracle?
Now 30 years later I met her and knew I was no blood relation to her. It was a funny feeling. I was certain we were not related. She said there had been a joke that her father was the postman. She knew she was not like us in looks or ways or anything. That needn't have made any difference but she was such an awful bore! After a long Sunday afternoon I was able to escape before we had tea. I gave up with genealogy after that!
Hope you have more luck with yours.

LucyO Sun 25-Nov-12 16:06:40

I would love to find a lost cousin of mine whom I last saw when she was 10 and I was 14. She then went back to Canada with her father and I've never heard from her since. I've written to people in the Canadian phonebook of the same name, but with no success, and of course if she has married I won't know her married name. If anyone has any bright ideas, I would very much welcome them. I hear of people being found through Facebook, but again if I don't know her married name, I can't see how this can be done.

Oxon70 Tue 28-Feb-12 14:07:04

I thought this possible cousin was born up north, but I've now discovered that my uncle was in Norfolk in the second half of the year before......

Oxon70 Mon 27-Feb-12 09:16:32

Thanks for encouragement, everyone. Kitty, do do it. Before you lose the people with information! (Be warned, it is addictive....)
I should have said - 'no other first cousins'! I too have found several second ? cousins and removed cousins ( a relationship I still don't understand!) and have met one from France and another from South Africa - still corresponding!
But everyone I know seems to have first cousins.....

Here's the clues:
My two uncles, I thought, had no children. Then I find a question mark in my Dad's family tree drawn in 1988, under my uncle Maurice's name.
I find a mention in Dad's diary, 1941, about a girl who, it turns out my mum has said to my sister, was pregnant. My uncle Fred also mentions her in memoirs.
All these little bits come together, and I send for my uncle Maurice's Will. Which leaves - if his wife is not alive - his property to someone I, and my sister, have never heard of. She didn't inherit.
But - I think I may have a cousin.

Going to the library later.

Zephrine Mon 27-Feb-12 08:18:08

Good luck oxon, in the last year I've found a cousin of my mum who is 92, looks just like my gran and is a wealth of information, a second cousin of mine who sent a photo of my family and asked "do you have any idea who these people are?" and a cousin of my husband who we have now met a couple of times and got on with very well. It's been very exciting and a lot of fun. I thought all my blood relations had gone and felt there was no one left who remembered things from my childhood but it was lovely talking to people who remembered my mum, her sister and my gran.

Carol Mon 27-Feb-12 08:17:21

That's exciting news oxon - good luck with your quest.

kittylester Mon 27-Feb-12 08:13:05

Exciting Oxon - I've promised myself to do some family history research one day. Do keep us informed.

JessM Mon 27-Feb-12 07:38:36

good luck. an adventure.

Oxon70 Mon 27-Feb-12 07:33:05

I've been corresponding over the weekend with a helpful person on the familyhistoryforum, about clues I have about someone who is probably a cousin of mine - she's mentioned in my Dad's diary and in my uncle's Will, and may be still alive.

(For GN - no, I will not put be putting her name in here. The other forum has a 'sensitive subjects' restricted section, and her name has only gone by email.)

So I plan to go to my local library - which doesn't open until 1pm today, bother it - and ask about Electoral Rolls for 1968, for the address I have in London.
I have written recently to this address, but I'm not very hopeful about that.

This is someone I didn't know existed until I got well into the family history stuff - I have no other cousins, and feel a lack!
Of course if I do find her, she may not want to know - whatever. I'm trying.