Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Leicester 1911.....Old newspaper reports.

(9 Posts)
Oxon70 Wed 16-May-12 20:19:07

Pity this just misses the Leicester Chronicle which is online at the British Library (if you are a member of your library) to December 1900 - but there might be something about him previously in there...have you found him in the 1901 census?

nuttynorah Sun 22-Apr-12 21:46:35

You're welcome Mamardoit. When I was looking for some relatives that I thought might be buried in Harrogate, I wrote to the cemetery office there with their names and rough dates. They were really helpful and when they couldn't find one person, they actually rang me to check if I could give further details.

Mamardoit Sun 22-Apr-12 20:40:52

Thanks for the replies.

I have his family's address in 1911. Some good ideas I will do as you both suggest. I will let you know how I get on.

nuttynorah Sat 21-Apr-12 18:21:05

Hi Mamardoit

I don't know what you've tried already but the Rootschat forum is usually very helpful. If you are not based in Leicester, one of their members might volunteer to look something up for you.
Other places you could try are the Leicester & Rutland Family History Society website or the Leicester Family History Library (who probably hold newspapers from the time).
Can you find his widow and children on the 1911 census? If so, you would have an address for him and you could ask the Leicester Cemeteries dept to check their records for someone buried from that address.
Good luck with your search- if you don't have an Ancestry subscription and would like me to look something up for you, please pm me.

granjura Sat 21-Apr-12 17:22:44

E-mail the editor
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0116 222 4202

granjura Sat 21-Apr-12 17:20:54

Why don't you write to the Leicester Mercury and ask them? They are usually very helpful - and you could ask them to either put a notice with your questions, or a letter in the letters' page.

granjura Sat 21-Apr-12 14:17:37

I have some many good friends in Leicester who have been there for generations. I you pm the details I could pass it on and see if that rings any bells.

Genealogy in Switzerland is so much easier. Each family has a 'commune d'origine' eg a Parish where the surname was first registered. All the documents about that family are then registered with them, birth, marriages, deaths - wherever you live. Makes it much easier to look back. I went to my 'commune d'origine' last year for the first time out of curiosity. I was born in a different County and so was my father and grand-father, and yet all our documents are there. Good luck.

Mamardoit Sat 21-Apr-12 13:45:02

I do have details of of what I'm sure is his death cert and I think I've found a marriage that fits (grt gran had a common name too). I will send for the certificates.

Mamardoit Sat 21-Apr-12 13:41:13

Hi
I'm a new convert from MN (I still lurk over there).
I've reached wall in my family tree and wonder if anyone has any ideas.
I know my grt grandfather died in Leicester in 1911 (before the census). I have no idea where he was born and he had a common surname and christian name. There are lots in Leicester alone who could be him.
There is nobody alive to confirm any details. The only thing I know is that he died leaving a young widow and 3 babies under 4. He died of peritonitis (sp?) after being kicked in the stomach during an amature football game.
I am stuck for leads. I wondered if there is a report of his death in a local paper. I know the present local paper is the Leicester Mercury but I understand there were more at one time. Where do you think I should start.