Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Military service records

(13 Posts)
Lancalot Tue 29-May-12 18:32:33

Hi

I new to this so if i am posting on the wrong forum please let me know. I am trying to trace my late fathers military service records from the 2nd world war It appears that I need his service number, social security number, branch of service and dates of service. The only thing I have is his war medals and a group picture dated June 1940. I think he was in the Welsh guards. I have no immediate family left who can help me further.

Any ideas who I can contact

Thanks

Lancalot

whenim64 Tue 29-May-12 18:50:31

You need a genealogy website. Ancestry.co.uk do military records. Good luck.

Lancalot Tue 29-May-12 19:56:48

Hi whenim64

Thanks for the information I will have a look at the Ancestry military records

Jacey Tue 29-May-12 21:15:22

I don't think you will have much success with WWII records ...last time I tried it was still a case of the actual people themselves having access to their records ...family members could not access them.

However ... try going on the National Archives Records site ...it is now at Kew.
You will need a lot of patience ...good luck.

Oh ...just gone back to your OP, Lancelot ...you speak about a photograph ...this may enable you to identify his regiment, from which you may be able to search their records and/or visit their regimental museum.

sarah2000h Thu 26-Jul-12 11:21:51

When I check last year only service records for up to 1920 were available online. If I wanted to check for my father in WWII I would have had to pay£50. So I'm waiting until the records are computerised.

Jendurham Tue 13-Nov-12 23:54:28

My dad still had his army record. My mother wanted me to give it to my brother as he was in the army until he retired, so I photocopied it.
He was in the army before the 2nd World War, and it gives physical characteristics.
When he joined he was 6'1", weighed 10 stone and had a maximum chest size of 32". That's what you get for being the eldest of 9 siblings.
He was always 6'2 1/2" when he came out, so he obviously stood up straighter then.
The records are very dry. It says B.E.F. from 25/9/39 to 28/5/40 and home 29/5/40. That was Dunkirk.
It also says India 22/7/43 to 10/12/45. That was Burma.
In fact, reading his testimonial, it's hard to believe he fought in a war.
He had a sound knowledge of the running of MT, meant that he was a despatch rider in France and Burma, riding motorbikes to get messages through from and to headquarters.

bigpondza Thu 13-Dec-12 16:23:51

I think you will find that Ancestry only covers WWI.

FlicketyB Thu 13-Dec-12 17:33:03

We were able to get my grandfather's military records, he served 1900 - 1937 then 1939 - 1947 by filling in a form, sending in copies of his death certificate etc. I do not know the exact details as my cousin did the paperwork. However I ointend to do the same for my father and, hopefully, a couple of uncles who died without descendants.

Ariadne Thu 13-Dec-12 17:36:51

You might try his regiment; they keep excellent records and may have the information that you need. And the old Guards regiments will definitely have them. Just google it and search for archives. Good luck!

mrsmopp Mon 13-May-13 22:07:00

Have you tried National Archives at Kew?
They will advise you, good luck.

Rangimarie Fri 14-Jun-13 11:31:10

Hello,

I have just come across your genealogy site. A few years ago I obtained my late father's WWII military service records from Army Personnel Centre in Glasgow; he was in Palestine for five years, returned home and then was sent to Norway. There is no mention of his time in Norway in his records. I did ask the Centre at the time, but they had no information. I know Norway was classified but my father was 'only' in admin with the R.A.S.C. Somewhere, I read that 2013 is the time that more information will be released. Unfortunately, I now cannot remember where I read it and I cannot find it on the Internet!

How I wish I had asked Dad for more information, I was always taught not to ask 'grown-ups' questions!

Has anyone some idea of where I could find out more about Norway during WWII?

Thank you.

janreb Fri 14-Jun-13 17:15:12

If he was in the Welsh Guards (or any Guards regiment) you need to contact
The *** Guards
Wellington Barracks
Birdcage Walk
London
SW1E 6HQ

for other army records
Army Personnel HQ Secretariat
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 555
Kentigern House
65 Brown St.
Glasgow
G2 8EX

for Royal Navy
The Director
Naval Personnel
Navy Search
TNT Records Management
PO Box 7814
William Nadin Way
Swadlincote
Derbys.
DE11 1EG

for RAF
RAF Disclosures Section
Room 6
Trenchard Hall
RAF Cranwell
Sleaford
Lincs.
NG34 8HB

I would recommend writing first just to check what they hold, and what they are prepared to release. You may need to prove relationship and there may be a charge.

mrsmopp Fri 28-Jun-13 13:59:40

Hi, just found this jan - just what I needed. Wanted to trace Dads brothers naval record. I have done a search but just went round in circles without getting anywhere. Now I have an address to write to so many thanks!