Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Who was your first heart throb?

(128 Posts)
mrsmopp Fri 05-Oct-12 18:40:35

Remember the expression, heart throb?
Mine was Ed Byrne from 77 Sunset Strip and I also fancied Joe from Bonanza.
And don't get me started on Pat Boone! (Is he still alive?)

Ana Fri 05-Oct-12 21:31:50

Blimey - and there was me thinking he'd been happily married to Joanne Woodward for years...! confused

POGS Fri 05-Oct-12 21:32:45

Gally

Oh Yes Richard Chamberlain later on in the Thorn Birds.

Petallus
I'm sorry but who is Tex Ritter?

Ana Fri 05-Oct-12 21:33:39

Until I suddenly realised I meant Paul Newman! blush (always got them confused!)

feetlebaum Fri 05-Oct-12 22:04:54

Tex Ritter was a country singer and actor, probably his best known record being High Noon "Do not forsake me, oh ma darlin'..."

glitabo Fri 05-Oct-12 22:08:43

Well well, I didn't know that Richard Chamberlain was gay? Still is probably.

Nanadogsbody Fri 05-Oct-12 22:48:12

Robert Horton on Wagon Train, anyone else remember him? blush

merlotgran Fri 05-Oct-12 23:11:38

YESS Nanadogs. He was my first 'heart throb.' Wagon Train was the one programme I was allowed to stay up and watch. My big disappointment was that telly was black and white in those days so I thought he had dark hair. One weekend I spent my pocket money on a magazine because it boasted a centrefold of Robert Horton. I couldn't wait to open it.....only to find he was a red head. shock

MaggieP Fri 05-Oct-12 23:18:35

Oh tanith you have reminded me of how I too adored Rowdy Yates! Then Little Joe, Dr Kildare and most of the others mentioned today. What nostalgia grin

POGS Fri 05-Oct-12 23:19:43

feetlebaum

Thanks. I know the songs but can't place him.

MaggieP Fri 05-Oct-12 23:22:56

Wasn't Tex Ritter a cowboy but can't remember on what programme.

vampirequeen Sat 06-Oct-12 00:25:28

I loved Donny Osmond

goldengirl Sat 06-Oct-12 09:46:21

Richard Chamberlain - my bedroom was plastered with his pix whilst my friends had Elvis over theirs. Also Pernell Roberts [Adam in Bonanza]. I thought him very sexy. Interesting: one fair the other dark. Hedging my bets perhaps smile

Charlotta Sat 06-Oct-12 15:49:56

Elvis of course! I'm old enough to remember when a song of his was banned. Me and my friend Gloria listened to it for hours.(Perhaps Gloria is on GN? She'll remember those evenings.)

Ella46 Sat 06-Oct-12 16:48:51

Watch it merlot!!! Some of us on here are/were redheads! Don't start picking on us wink

kittylester Sat 06-Oct-12 17:14:29

Russ Conway blush I was very young!

Nanadogsbody Sat 06-Oct-12 17:27:25

merlot that's exactly what happened to me...must have bought same magazine! But his hair was a dark red if I recall, not ginger?

glammanana Sat 06-Oct-12 17:29:51

Adam Faith and Billy J Kramer where plastered all over my walls,along with most of the cast of Bonanza I liked them all,Richard Chamberlain as Dr.Kildare I love the voice of Billy Fury but he was a bit daring for my mum to allow me to have his pic on the wall.I have two signed pictures of Billy Fury in a suitcase still and would not part with them for the world,such memories.

merlotgran Sat 06-Oct-12 17:32:49

Don't worry, Ella I married one....complete with freckles. grin

mrsmopp Sat 06-Oct-12 18:07:48

We used to stick the pictures of our 'idols' under the lid of our desk, so halfway through a boring lesson, could lift the lid for a quick peep at Elvis smiling at us! One way to get through the day..

anneandgraham Sat 06-Oct-12 18:24:32

Cliff Richard was my heart throb, went to see him first at Palladiumwhen was only 17 such a thrill!!

have seen him loads times since my long suffering husband has taken me, but do feel he has become rather conceited and nowadays prefer Dominic Kirwan any one else a fan of him??!!

still get bought Cliff calendars though!!

MiceElf Sat 06-Oct-12 20:57:46

Does anyone remember Robin Hall and Jimmy MacGregor? Robin was the lovely one.

crimson Sat 06-Oct-12 21:20:00

Y'know, years ago I was at Tintagel in Cornwall and someone walked past me and I was convinced he was a folk songer that I recognised but, although I recognised the face I couldn't remember the name. It was [or might have been] Robin Hall. I'll never know for sure if it was him but at least I now know who I 'thought' it was. Thanks MiceElf. It's actually been bothering me for years.

MiceElf Sat 06-Oct-12 21:32:49

He he. He was soulful looking with lovely dark floppy hair. I looked him up a bit ago and he came to quite a sad end. I was really upset!

merlotgran Sat 06-Oct-12 22:22:38

I also fancied James Stacy who played Johnny in Lancer. He had a terrible motorbike accident though and lost an arm and leg. He was then found guilty of molesting an eleven year old girl. Some things just put you off hmm

harrigran Sat 06-Oct-12 23:22:25

Tommy Steele, first real pop music.