Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Did anyone else sell Sunny Smiles

(25 Posts)
JessM Sat 02-Feb-13 18:34:21

Just remembered that when I was in school a Miss Bowles used to get us to sell Sunny Smiles. Little books of black and white pics of smiling African babies. We would sell the pics to grans etc and bring in the money. Presumably for some kind of missionary work in Africa.
Anyone else remember these?

Ana Sat 02-Feb-13 18:35:33

Oh goodness - yes I do remember! I'd completely forgotten...

Marelli Sat 02-Feb-13 18:39:23

Oh yes! I do remember - the little books were about 3" square? We used to get them at Sunday School. smile

whenim64 Sat 02-Feb-13 18:49:17

Yes, I remember seeing them at home, and my mum used to get them when she went to Mothers Union get-togethers.

JessM Sat 02-Feb-13 18:50:34

Oh yes, Sunday School too. Quite sophisticated fund raising for its day.

ninathenana Sat 02-Feb-13 19:27:45

that's a random recall Jesssmile
Yes remember them well.

Learnergran Sat 02-Feb-13 19:34:10

Yes, I remember them very well too

NfkDumpling Sat 02-Feb-13 19:39:51

We had them at my village primary school, I think our headmistress would like to have been a missionary.

JessM Sat 02-Feb-13 21:23:35

We were talking about people cleaning their plates and how teachers used to tell us to eat our disgusting dinners because "children were starving in Biafra" - and that made me remember Miss B and her sunny smiles.

Anne58 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:27:31

Oh goodness, yes I remember them, and I'm in my fifties, not sure if they were at primary school?

Nelliemoser Sun 03-Feb-13 14:53:24

Oh yes at sunday school. C the late 1950s.

grannyactivist Sun 03-Feb-13 17:10:01

Yes, we used to bring a book home from school and even though we were very poor we always bought some. I think my mum really 'got it'. To be poor in the UK was grim, but to be poor in Africa was something terrible.

gillybob Sun 03-Feb-13 18:21:11

Yes I do remember them JessM I must have got them in the late 60's/ early 70's . sunshine smile

JessM Sun 03-Feb-13 18:44:38

Anyone know what we were raising money FOR?

dodiegale1 Sun 03-Feb-13 19:05:39

I remember them well from our Methodist sunday school in the 1950s. I might be wrong but I've a feeling the photos were of children in childrens homes at that time and the money collected was for National Childrens Homes. Does anyone else remember?

Nelliemoser Sun 03-Feb-13 19:44:31

dodie Probably yes! That's where I encountered them.

JessM Sun 03-Feb-13 19:56:03

oh maybe the babies were not black hmm

forbesisnow2 Sun 03-Feb-13 20:00:40

Yes I remember selling sunny smiles in the 1950 s when at primary school and sunday school. I lived in Cardiff then and always managed to sell a whole book in one outing of knocking on strangers doors. (Bit dodgy today) I collected the money in an old smelly sock!!! Cant remember what they were in aid of though. Always good for extra brownie points from teachers.

Mamardoit Mon 04-Feb-13 14:46:06

I remember them too. I'm not sure all the babies were African though. I remember bringing the books home from my methodist Sunday school in the 1960s.

dodiegale1 Mon 04-Feb-13 16:55:26

Definitely weren't all African. And certainly not starving. In fact the word that comes to mind to describe them is "bonny" (a word used more in the 50s than today!) This morning I was telling my daughter about this thread and she thought she had to sell them once in the 1980s, but not every year like me. I wonder when they stopped.

I've just read on another site that the same pictures were used every year. If this is true, I never noticed!

NfkDumpling Mon 04-Feb-13 17:11:01

I feel sure I remember blond children too. Just Googled Sunny Smiles and there's other forums where people can remember them - but no one remembers where the money went. I assume some Christian charity - perhaps to buy the Bishop a new frock?

Or perhaps it was a scam?

sunflowersuffolk Mon 04-Feb-13 21:56:18

Yes I too remember them, the booklets were handed out to us in my C of E infants and juniors school in South London, in about 1956-61. I remember spending a while poring over the photos, deciding which children I would help, and the remainder were "bought" by family and friends. I just thought the money went straight to them. Seems this was going on for about 30 years or more.

JessM Tue 05-Feb-13 17:08:57

Ah that is sweet. Thinking the children got the money.
I think it might have been national children's homes. I was getting confused about the black children (who could do with our dinners) . It was obviously something that went across several denominations not just a missionary organisation linked to a single one.

glammanana Tue 05-Feb-13 17:56:09

I remember getting them at Sunday School I think the cost was 6d for a picture not to sure,in Sunday School now we get a small booklet every year with pictures of the school children showing the book's/pens/pencils etc that we collect for every year we know that the money goes to this school as members from the Sunday School go each year to deliver and see the progress.

FlicketyB Wed 06-Feb-13 17:28:56

I remember them in the early 1950s, or the catholic equivalent, in our case the money went to the missionary organisations working in African countries.