Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Sweet recollections!

(63 Posts)
RedLetter Mon 04-Mar-13 12:55:43

Wondering what sweets you loved as a child? I always chose rhubarb and custard sweets, even though I hated real rhubarb!

whenim64 Tue 05-Mar-13 14:08:20

Oh, I had forgotten about the wafers Lullydully! Our ice-cream man would give us a large cube of vanilla ice-cream, frozen solid, and a stack of loose wafers, on a tin plate that my mum would send us out with. This would stay in the cold pantry till after dinner, then we had wafers. Lovely! smile

annodomini Tue 05-Mar-13 15:02:18

When we had one of those long thin packs of Walls ice cream, my dad used to wrap it in several sheets of newspaper to insulate it. It worked well.

nanapug Tue 05-Mar-13 15:58:45

I loved sherbet pips, the tiny little round sweets, as they were small enough to suck in class and not get caught! I also loved that lemon powder stuff that you dipped your finger in and it turned your finger yellow. Can't remember what it was called.

yogagran Tue 12-Mar-13 12:57:30

There were sherbet pips on the sweet display next to the checkout in our local Budgens yesterday, bought a bag and you're right, they are rather good!

BonicaCook Wed 27-Mar-13 09:13:23

Many of those have disappeared from our daily life...

Nelliemoser Wed 27-Mar-13 10:07:52

Nanapug It was called Kali where I came from as in "KayLie" sherbert powder.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherbet_(powder)

Gally Wed 27-Mar-13 11:08:57

Fruit salad and Black Jack chews - 1 farthing each or 4 for 1d and Liquorice Boot Laces grin

grannyactivist Wed 27-Mar-13 11:37:52

We had a Walls ice cream man who used to call around the houses on a bike with his ice creams on a tray like a cinema usher.

Flowerofthewest Wed 27-Mar-13 12:27:49

We had a local ice-cream man on a trike with a freezer on the front called Medlocks. Beautiful lollies, I remember the orange and cream two toned one. Have never found anything so wonderful since.

Can anyone remember 'laces' filled with chocolate, my BF remembers me buying them on the way to school but I cannot remember at all. Would love to buy her some for her birthday. She fantasises about them and said I would not share mine with her, can't believe that.

I to love sherbert fountains and buy them now and again for myself. I love sweet tobacco too. We have a local sweet shop who sells these things, hard to walk by.

Scooter58 Wed 27-Mar-13 12:57:37

Dad used to bring home 'Lucky Tatties' covered with Cinnamon and a small trinket inside if you were 'Lucky' loved them.Also MB bars. Delicious

MamaCaz Sat 30-Mar-13 08:52:31

I have vague early childhood memories of something that tasted a bit like refreshers, but it was a large tablet shape, I think over 1" square - anyone remember what they might have been?

goldengirl Sat 30-Mar-13 17:50:10

Blackcurrant barley sugars from the chemist - wonderful treat. Also a ha'penny sherbet round lolly on a stick as I waited for the school bus. I still like licorice. DD bought GD and GS a 'sweet shop' one Christmas complete with proper jars - small size - and a selection of sweets. They've learned a lot about purchasing sweets, profit and loss by selling them to family members. I've got a bag of white chocolate mice I couldn't resist at the time. There are some pluses to wearing dentures grin

dahlia Sun 31-Mar-13 16:54:08

Mamacaz, I think these were called Gee Whiz. You were supposed to make them into lemonade by dissolving them into water, but I just nibbled them until they were gone. Atrocious things, really, probably sugar and citric acid, and we weren't allowed to have them - but if I had a penny, I could buy two and hope Mum didn't notice my yellow tongue! smile

MamaCaz Sun 31-Mar-13 18:32:58

Gee Whiz? That doesn't ring a bell - but come to think of it, I was too young to be able to read at the time, so you could be right, dahlia. Mmm, my mouth is watering at the thought of them - but thinking about lemons has the same effect on me! smile

miracle Sun 31-Mar-13 21:10:30

I used to love mint humbugs as a child maybe that is why I still love anything minty. Also licquorice allsorts, and gobstoppers, those wee the ones that changed colour as you sucked them.

Mishap Sun 31-Mar-13 21:40:20

Confession - I have not read the whole thread - so apologies if these have been mentioned before.

My Dad used to bring home 2 lots of sweets for eating round the fire watching our (minute!) TV on a Saturday night. These were a large bar of brazil nut chocolate and some toffees that were individually wrapped and were sort of swirls with pink (?strawberry) and plain toffee - anyone remember these or what they were called?

The tiny TV was a turning point in my life, as this was how my parents finally worked out how short-sighted I was/am - they could all see the picture and I couldn't! Oh the bliss of those first glasses!

Sel Sun 31-Mar-13 23:02:41

Gally Blackjacks - my favourite. Not very PC now though if I remember the packaging.

KatyK Thu 18-Apr-13 18:46:15

Anyone remember Lucky Numbers chocolates?

Anne09 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:56:53

Lucky tatties. Frying pans milk and egg caramels gold dust , crackling candy try's five centre. Oh I can go on and on.

Marelli Thu 18-Apr-13 20:28:38

Nellimoser, it was called Kayli where I came from as well (Nottingham). I used to love the rainbow sort!
On a Sunday afternoon, when I was little, we used to share a bag of Richmond Assorted while we watched a film on the television. These were toffees, some covered in chocolate but all with different centres and in pretty wrappers. My mother would have a Walnut Whip and would share a bag of Jap Desserts with the dog. smile

numberplease Thu 18-Apr-13 20:49:52

Ooooh Marelli, I LOVE walnut whips! The other day I saw some sweets I hadn`t seen for a while, so bought a pack of fruit Polos.

Gagagran Thu 18-Apr-13 21:01:49

I used to share 2oz of dolly mixtures with my first boyfriend, every day after school. He was at the boys' Grammar School and I was at the girls' High School and we used to get the same 'bus home together. The schools were on the same site but we were not allowed to communicate with each other on the premises. I once got 100 lines one wet lunchtime, for talking to him through the form-room window, which overlooked the boys' yard! Sweet memories.

Does anyone remember Rileys chocolate toffee rolls? Loved those when older.

Marelli Thu 18-Apr-13 21:07:52

I used to love Spangles - bit like Fruit Polos, number! My favourite Spangles were the Old English ones, though.

Grannylin Thu 18-Apr-13 21:31:14

My auntie and uncle used to work at Cadburys and lived at a place in B'ham called California? we loved it when the came to visit and brought us huge bags of mis shapen chocolates and Skippy bars.

TwiceAsNice Thu 18-Apr-13 21:56:56

Old English spangles
Jelly beans and jelly babies especially the black ones
Chocolate eclairs
Pink shrimps
And do you remember lucky bags, they were a decorated bag which had a small selection of sweets and a cheap toy inside.
Also when I was little my dad took me to the corner shop after school on a Friday and bought me a bar of five boys chocolate, there was an image of five boys faces with different expressions on printed into the chocolate.
And my absolute favourite raspberry ruffles.

Unfortunately for the last year I have been diagnosed diabetic so now the only thing I,m allowed is a small amount of plain chocolate. I manage my diet well now I,m used to it but this thread has had me drooling!