Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Sweet recollections!

(63 Posts)
RedLetter Mon 04-Mar-13 12:55:43

Wondering what sweets you loved as a child? I always chose rhubarb and custard sweets, even though I hated real rhubarb!

numberplease Sat 20-Apr-13 18:06:29

Ahhh, liquorice root, still available in some herbal shops. Lovely, till you`d got all the goodness out, then left with a stringy mess!

Nelliemoser Sat 20-Apr-13 17:06:47

Number Fruit bon bons are ringing a bell. You are right! various makes.

www.aquarterof.co.uk/fruit-bonbons-p-600.html

annodomini Sat 20-Apr-13 16:20:17

Cowan's Highland Toffee - with a picture of a highland cow on the wrapper. Lovely and chewy.

Nonu Sat 20-Apr-13 16:02:09

I just loved liquorice root.

smile

Sheilagh Sat 20-Apr-13 15:41:08

I remember tiny chops, peas, potatoes and carrots all made from soft candy.

During the war when sweets were rationed we used to eat liquorice root, you sucked this piece of what looked like a twig until you got the juice out, very messy but nice.

numberplease Fri 19-Apr-13 21:42:22

Grown up like Keiller butterscotch as well! In the gold paper.

Marelli Fri 19-Apr-13 17:32:44

I remember them too, Gally - can't think of their name confused.
Remember Callard and Bowsers' treacle toffee etc? It was in an oblong-ish pack and each sweet was wrapped in silver paper? Sort of grown-up sweets.

numberplease Fri 19-Apr-13 16:31:55

Gally, any chance they could be fruit bon bons?

numberplease Fri 19-Apr-13 16:24:12

Gally, I know what you mean, but can`t remember what they were called, but I think they were made by Pascall`s?
Marelli, my favourite Spangles were the acid drop ones.

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Apr-13 23:31:47

Coconut Mushrooms.

There was also coconut in a chocolate coating.

Caramac for me as well.

Frys peppermint cream.

Aniseed balls

?Violet cahous? Refreshers,

Its a wonder how any of us have any teeth left.

I do fancy those chocolate coconut things.

Nelliemoser Thu 18-Apr-13 23:20:37

I know the ones you mean Gally but not the name.

Gally Thu 18-Apr-13 23:02:36

Does any one remember the name of the sweets which were about an inch and a half oblong, hard (like a boiled sweet) on the outside and soft inside and wrapped in white 'paper' with a picture of the relevant fruit on the top? It's really annoying me that I can't think of the name! confused

TwiceAsNice Thu 18-Apr-13 21:56:56

Old English spangles
Jelly beans and jelly babies especially the black ones
Chocolate eclairs
Pink shrimps
And do you remember lucky bags, they were a decorated bag which had a small selection of sweets and a cheap toy inside.
Also when I was little my dad took me to the corner shop after school on a Friday and bought me a bar of five boys chocolate, there was an image of five boys faces with different expressions on printed into the chocolate.
And my absolute favourite raspberry ruffles.

Unfortunately for the last year I have been diagnosed diabetic so now the only thing I,m allowed is a small amount of plain chocolate. I manage my diet well now I,m used to it but this thread has had me drooling!

Grannylin Thu 18-Apr-13 21:31:14

My auntie and uncle used to work at Cadburys and lived at a place in B'ham called California? we loved it when the came to visit and brought us huge bags of mis shapen chocolates and Skippy bars.

Marelli Thu 18-Apr-13 21:07:52

I used to love Spangles - bit like Fruit Polos, number! My favourite Spangles were the Old English ones, though.

Gagagran Thu 18-Apr-13 21:01:49

I used to share 2oz of dolly mixtures with my first boyfriend, every day after school. He was at the boys' Grammar School and I was at the girls' High School and we used to get the same 'bus home together. The schools were on the same site but we were not allowed to communicate with each other on the premises. I once got 100 lines one wet lunchtime, for talking to him through the form-room window, which overlooked the boys' yard! Sweet memories.

Does anyone remember Rileys chocolate toffee rolls? Loved those when older.

numberplease Thu 18-Apr-13 20:49:52

Ooooh Marelli, I LOVE walnut whips! The other day I saw some sweets I hadn`t seen for a while, so bought a pack of fruit Polos.

Marelli Thu 18-Apr-13 20:28:38

Nellimoser, it was called Kayli where I came from as well (Nottingham). I used to love the rainbow sort!
On a Sunday afternoon, when I was little, we used to share a bag of Richmond Assorted while we watched a film on the television. These were toffees, some covered in chocolate but all with different centres and in pretty wrappers. My mother would have a Walnut Whip and would share a bag of Jap Desserts with the dog. smile

Anne09 Thu 18-Apr-13 18:56:53

Lucky tatties. Frying pans milk and egg caramels gold dust , crackling candy try's five centre. Oh I can go on and on.

KatyK Thu 18-Apr-13 18:46:15

Anyone remember Lucky Numbers chocolates?

Sel Sun 31-Mar-13 23:02:41

Gally Blackjacks - my favourite. Not very PC now though if I remember the packaging.

Mishap Sun 31-Mar-13 21:40:20

Confession - I have not read the whole thread - so apologies if these have been mentioned before.

My Dad used to bring home 2 lots of sweets for eating round the fire watching our (minute!) TV on a Saturday night. These were a large bar of brazil nut chocolate and some toffees that were individually wrapped and were sort of swirls with pink (?strawberry) and plain toffee - anyone remember these or what they were called?

The tiny TV was a turning point in my life, as this was how my parents finally worked out how short-sighted I was/am - they could all see the picture and I couldn't! Oh the bliss of those first glasses!

miracle Sun 31-Mar-13 21:10:30

I used to love mint humbugs as a child maybe that is why I still love anything minty. Also licquorice allsorts, and gobstoppers, those wee the ones that changed colour as you sucked them.

MamaCaz Sun 31-Mar-13 18:32:58

Gee Whiz? That doesn't ring a bell - but come to think of it, I was too young to be able to read at the time, so you could be right, dahlia. Mmm, my mouth is watering at the thought of them - but thinking about lemons has the same effect on me! smile

dahlia Sun 31-Mar-13 16:54:08

Mamacaz, I think these were called Gee Whiz. You were supposed to make them into lemonade by dissolving them into water, but I just nibbled them until they were gone. Atrocious things, really, probably sugar and citric acid, and we weren't allowed to have them - but if I had a penny, I could buy two and hope Mum didn't notice my yellow tongue! smile