Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Any disastrous holiday memories?

(30 Posts)
Eloethan Wed 20-Mar-13 23:52:17

Sitting on old Corona coach that stank of smoke and petrol, condensation running down window. Shoving Polo mints into mouth to ward off nausea. Caravan site in Walton on Naze, Essex. Dad had not rented "bargain" as described by owner, but dark green, ugly, leaky caravan - probably oldest on site. Mum not amused - atmosphere "chilly". Rained most of week. Left early - took another coach to granddad's cottage in Suffolk.

But in a funny sort of way I quite enjoyed it!

kittylester Sat 23-Mar-13 07:39:53

So, so many!!

One Easter, we thought it would be nice to stay in a cottage by the sea. It snowed, temperatures dropped, the only heating was electric fires, on a 50p meter, and when we tried to put a fire on in each room the fuses went. We had three children under four and an afghan hound confused and we fought like mad to be the one sitting under the dog!!

We went to stay in another cottage In Cornwall but couldn't access the front door for binbags spilling rubbish onto the path. The hotel we moved to for the week was fabulous grin

We rented a log cabin on the shores of a beautiful loch only to be greeted by the owner [who only had one tooth and reeked of alcohol] and were told not to drink the water as it was straight off the hills and it was best not to open most windows as they might fall off their hinges. The hotel we moved into that time was lovely, too!

Memories sunshine

dorsetpennt Sat 23-Mar-13 14:31:08

In 1966 my mother, having been widowed the Xmas before, decided that my brother then aged 19 years old and me then aged 22 years old should go on holiday together. We had a Welsh Aunt whose family owned a caravan in Broad Haven just near Haverfordwest Pembrokeshire. We were promised a spacious caravan near a lovely beach with all the on-site facilities. We drove there with high expectatons. The site was very basic, the caravan small, on site facilities was a very costly shop and a shower block built of breeze block with cold running water!! The only truth was a large deserted beach that if
the sun had ever shone would have been idyllic.
It was meant to be a cheap holiday but it rained basically every day for the 14 days we were there. So we dashed out between showers to the beach, we even, out of desparation , stayed in the water during the rain showers. Haverfordwest had one cinema which changed films fortnightly - so we saw one film twice. Visited Tenby in rain, the coastal walk, in the rain, the countryside in the rain. In between that we rowed in the tiny caravan, it took ages to even boil a kette, the seagulls woke us up at 5am by doing the fandango on the tin roof. By the end of week I'd had enough of hearing my mother and brother talk what I considered rubbish and caught a train home after 8 days. I vowed then and there never to stay in a caravan again and I haven't and please don't write your 'caravan holidays are wonderful' threads. smile

TwiceAsNice Sat 23-Mar-13 19:40:45

Stayed in Portugal with DD 6 DS 2. 1st apartment on 3rd floor after me specifically asking for no steps. After much rowing with staff we moved to villa. All went well until DS slipped by the pool and fell against edge of step and cut open the back of his head. Waited ages for hotel to arrange Dr to call as no hosp nearby. Lovely Dr arrived but it cost us £50 of our cash to pay her fee (a lot of money in 1982) Husband tried to repair broken fitting and stubbed his toe in the dark causing it to be cut and cut got infected. We bought a tablecloth from the maid which on reflection cost more than we would have paid in the town and when we were packing on the last day realised she had taken it back and although we complained to resort manager there was not enough time to do anything about it because we had to leave for the airport. Then the home flight was delayed! Have never gone back to Portugal since!

BonicaCook Wed 27-Mar-13 09:01:46

Yeah, when it compared with all of yours, thought mine is mild... In addition to the bad traffic and service from the hotel we resident for several days, we had a great journey.