Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Childhood embarrassing moments

(10 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 28-Mar-13 00:11:07

Mum sent me to the chemist to buy a packet of soluble sanitary towels. A young male sales assistant asked what I wanted. I went home with a packet of cotton wool.

Anne58 Thu 28-Mar-13 00:13:08

I've never heard of soluble sanitary towels?

Eloethan Thu 28-Mar-13 00:18:53

They had to be soluble or you couldn't dispose of them down the loo.

Anne58 Thu 28-Mar-13 00:23:53

Oh heavens, don't go down that road!

Mr P is a drainage engineer. confused

According to him, none of them should be put down the loo!

ninathenana Thu 28-Mar-13 12:30:29

Mum n I would wrap ours in newspaper an dad would sculk off to the end of the garden in the dead of night and burn them. grin
Never heard of soluble ones either.

Ana Thu 28-Mar-13 12:34:56

Me neither. It was burn or bin. How could they be soluble....?confused

ninathenana Thu 28-Mar-13 12:48:51

That's what I thought Ana surely they would fall apart during use grin

Elegran Thu 28-Mar-13 12:50:53

I remember you could get soluble ones. Always wondered what you did when they dissolved while still in situ? Tampons used to go down the loo. No-one wondered what happened to them after you flushed. I am talking 25 years ago, do they still get flushed away or are they put in the bin?

janeainsworth Thu 28-Mar-13 13:46:04

I was 15 and working in a very small branch of Boots in Stockport.
A man came in and asked for some 'Rendells'.
In my innocence and trying to be helpful, I asked him what they were for.
He seemed to splutter and walked out.
I turned to see the other girls doubled up with laughter, and the elderly male manager took me to one side and showed me the special drawer where the contraceptives were kept blushblush

numberplease Thu 28-Mar-13 16:07:34

When I was in hospital being sterilised, early in 1973, there was a lady in the next bed who`d had a hysterectomy, who was always the life and soul of the party. Then one afternoon, during visiting, she started sobbing her heart out. Her hubby, a foreign gentleman, said something to her, said it a couple of times, and she suddenly burst out laughing. When he`d gone, she said he`d patted her hand and said "never mind, no more white doctors", it took her a couple of minutes to understand what he was getting at, he meant no more Dr. Whites!!