Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Teenage fashion disasters

(27 Posts)
Eloethan Thu 28-Mar-13 00:24:38

I bought a long blonde wig via a newspaper advert. When I went to the pub with my boyfriend I imagined that a bloke standing on the other side of the bar was staring because he found me desperately attractive. On reflection, I realised it was because it was obviously a wig and I looked absolutely ridiculous.

numberplease Tue 16-Apr-13 20:47:15

Flared skirts and stiff frilly, many layered petticoats!
Anybody remember bashed in lead bracelets? I loved mine.

harrigran Mon 15-Apr-13 23:34:27

The clothes were wonderful and I had the figure to wear them, those really were the days [sigh]

Gally Mon 15-Apr-13 23:22:06

I had white shiny shoes/boots with a stack heel, only the bit from the ankle to the knee was white nylon stretchy lace shock. I wore them with a pink Nehru type coat dress which just about reached the bottom of my bottom and I had long black hair which hung like a pair of curtains to my shoulders - oh, those were the days [wistful emoticon]

Nelliemoser Mon 15-Apr-13 22:49:58

Oh Scholl sandals! If when your foot slipped sideways in the toe piece and you caught your weight on edge of the wooden base it hurt like B******. Yes to hairpieces. Stretchy nylon trousers with loops under the foot to hold them. White shiny shoes! Which as I have quite big feet for my short size looked enormous.

Deedaa Mon 15-Apr-13 22:42:20

I had a PVC flowery mac. It was a cut out and ready to sew one from Woman's Mirror. I wore it on holiday in Yorkshire over a navy suit and white blouse. We were caught in a massive thunderstorm out on the moors - but I was warm & dry in my PVC mac. When we got back and I undressed I found that the rain had soaked through the stitch holes and there were dark blue lines all over my blouse where the blue suit had run.

jeanie99 Mon 15-Apr-13 22:29:11

I bought a lime green suit and from getting it home I realised it was a big big mistake.

annodomini Thu 28-Mar-13 22:06:02

When I went to work in Kenya, I made several psychedelic shift dresses - above the knee but not short enough to be shocking. The freedom to wear sandals all the time was wonderful - tooled leather flipflops bought for a song in Bazaar Street in Nairobi, or the ubiquitous Scholls sandals.

Galen Thu 28-Mar-13 21:12:37

Oi'll gie it foive!on juke box jury. A certain Janice Nicholls? Came from Wednesbury.

LullyDully Thu 28-Mar-13 20:57:34

yes, thank goodness we wore decent knickers in those days.wink

kittylester Thu 28-Mar-13 17:55:43

Does anyone remember Cathy McGowan on 'Ready Steady Go' showing the best way to sit on a bus in a miniskirt? Knees together, legs splayed and toes turned in!

Ana Thu 28-Mar-13 17:53:36

Meant to say white shiny plastic boots!

Ana Thu 28-Mar-13 17:53:04

I had a yellow pvc mac too, kitty - and pull-on shiny plastic boots....confused

kittylester Thu 28-Mar-13 17:50:13

Bell bottom jeans with curtain pompoms sewn onto the bottom - what was I thinking. confused

I had knee high boots, but mine were black patent, usually worn with a white patent handbag and a 'quartered' black and white minidress, chain belt, so much eye make-up I could hardly see out and a bright yellow pvc mac. It sounds hideous now but back then it was right on trend - honest. grin

Ana Thu 28-Mar-13 17:41:03

My Afghan coat stank even when it wasn't wet!

glammanana Thu 28-Mar-13 17:39:15

no "ing " in hang ^^ sorry.

glammanana Thu 28-Mar-13 17:38:19

The bright orange and yellow flower power type coat and dress that I wore with yellow platforms must have given all my friends a headache when they looked at it.
The Afgan coat which my mum had me hanging in the garage because it absolutley stank the house out when it got wet.

numberplease Thu 28-Mar-13 16:01:46

I remember my wig, bought in the early 70s. A friend styled it for me for a special night out, and it looked lovely, but I could never get it to do what I wanted it to do when I had to do it myself. When it needed washing, I pegged it out on the line to dry, it got some funny looks from folk walking past!

Ana Thu 28-Mar-13 12:32:43

Anyone remember those false ponytails you could buy from Woolworth's? They were made of some horrible nylon stuff and looked OK at first, but soon turned into a tangled, frizzy mess!

gracesmum Thu 28-Mar-13 12:17:32

Pink and plum suede clogs which I though looked the bees knees with plum skirt and matching jersey. That was until I tried running for the train at North Sheen station, limping home with shredded tights, grazed knees and shattered dignity sad

Grannyeggs Thu 28-Mar-13 10:42:57

I attempted to be one of those when but apart from not being as slim, I was average but not a twig, I never had that straight hair that could be made into a short bob, mine was always a curly wild mass, the bain of my life in those days.

whenim64 Thu 28-Mar-13 10:35:04

Grannyeggs that was the fashion worn by 'dollybirds'. smile I remember Twiggy wearing a plastic white coat like that. I loved those pinstriped dresses and suits.

Grannyeggs Thu 28-Mar-13 10:30:03

A white plastic mac worn over a grey pinstripe mini dress that had a sort of half belt with what looke like a leather target in the middle, and finished off with shiny white boots! Hmmm lovely!

whenim64 Thu 28-Mar-13 09:43:43

'Granny shoes' in the 60s. I remember every shoe shop had a selection of these lace-up, chunky heeled shoes which were made with black, shiny fake croc leather. We wore them with thick stockings, pencil skirts and twin sets, with long leather or suede coats. Peering out from my curtain of long, poker straight hair, I must have looked a sight. My dad used to look at me from behind his newspaper and say 'you're not going out like that, are you?' All my friends dressed the same way - we thought we were the height of fashion grin

LullyDully Thu 28-Mar-13 09:33:02

I had a wonderful culotte dress with buttons like a shirt down the front...wonderful when you needed the loo in a hurry, especially if there was no hook on the door .grin

Elegran Thu 28-Mar-13 09:30:58

Yes, I remember when wigs were "in" and I had to have one - still had it up to a frw years ago, but it had been relegated to the dressing-up box (which was in fact a laundry basket)

It was supposed to be so useful for when your hair was a mess. Trouble was, it never looked anything else than a wig - and when you took it off your hair was even worse, squashed flat to the skull.