Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Deliverance Day Remembered

(7 Posts)
Maywalk Wed 05-Jun-13 11:16:06

Deliverance Day

June 6th 1944

How well I remember Deliverance Day in 1944
This was the beginning of the end of our six year war.
Many nations took part in this exceptional historic day
To help bring back justice and take tyranny away.
I watched with bated breath as our planes filled the sky
Many would be wounded and many would also die.
What a lot we owe to all who took part in that historical day
They gave us back our freedom and banished evil away.
We should never forget those who fought for us to survive
Just Thank God they gave you freedom and you are still alive.

Copyright © - Maisie Walker 2004 - All rights reserved

I had the privilege of seeing the awesome sight of all the hundreds of planes heading for their destination. The emotional roller coaster that was felt by everyone watching was something that no one could ever put into words. I was and am extremely proud of all of them who took part, no matter whether it was by land, sea or air.

I can still see my mother standing looking at the sky with her rosary in her hand praying for them to come back safely although we knew many would never make it.

FlicketyB Wed 05-Jun-13 14:28:43

We have a house in Normandy and every community still commemorates is own individual Deliverance day with services and parades. For my commune it is a date in July when the Americans finally drove the Germans out. The commemorative events always include telling the story of what happened and listing all those who died, civilian casualties far out numbered military.

Ariadne Wed 05-Jun-13 16:21:33

I am there now - posted something on "Today I have..." we have found all the experiences extremely moving, we have been able to meet several veterans of the Deliverance, and their stories add to what you say. I have learned so much.

Mamie Wed 05-Jun-13 18:29:25

Deliverance day? I haven't heard that before. I think the D was just the D in Day as here in Normandy it is called Jour J.
Our commemoration will be in August as that is when the British and Canadians got here. Our local town is Falaise, where 80% of the town was destroyed and you can still see the shell holes in the churches.

gracesmum Wed 05-Jun-13 23:20:06

Do you know the little museum at Ouistreham and the Commando display - "Ceux qui portaient le beret vert" ?

Mamie Thu 06-Jun-13 06:21:25

There is a very good one at Montormel with a memorial to the Polish division who held the "Falaise gap" until the Americans and Canadians arrived. There is a magnificent view and you can look down and understand exactly why it was called the Falaise pocket, which is where the serious fighting of the Normandy campaign ended in mid-August 1944 and thousands of German soldiers died or were captured.

FlicketyB Tue 11-Jun-13 21:09:27

In France all those who served in the last war, no matter where that was get free entry to all the museums and other venues that commemorate the war.

My father until his death 5 years ago used to get a real kick out of wandering nonchalantly through the turnstiles saying 'ancien combatant'. He, five of his brothers and his father served in the army during the war, 2 went over on D Day +3 and fought their way through to Berlin. My father reckoned the family had earned his free entry into the museums.