Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Odd how things come back to you.

(13 Posts)
mrsmopp Sat 20-Jul-13 19:09:52

Have no idea what triggered it, but do you remember radio SOS messages? The programme would be interrupted and the announcer would say, "Would Mr Joe Bloggs, last heard of in Manchester five years ago, please return to Ivy Cottage, where his mother Mrs Hilda Bloggs is seriously ill."
I always used to wonder if the message got through and son got home in time for a reconciliation.
These messages went out quite frequently. Sad, wasn't it.

annodomini Sat 20-Jul-13 19:36:05

I often wondered what it would feel like to receive one of those messages, mrs mopp, and speculated what might have been the back story.

Nelliemoser Sat 20-Jul-13 19:49:07

Yes. I remember them well!

suzied Sat 20-Jul-13 19:55:41

Radio 4 did a programme a while ago which followed some of them up. It was really interesting.

FlicketyB Sat 20-Jul-13 20:26:06

I once contacted the BBC about putting in such a notice.

I rented a bed sit in London where my landlady and her son lived in a flat in the basement, coming home about 10.00pm on evening I saw my landlady and her dog walk out to cross the road and be hit by a car. Her son was on holiday and we had no way of contacting him. I spoke to the police who contacted the BBC but she died before the message was broadcast and the rule was no call would go out once the ill person had died.

wisewoman Sat 20-Jul-13 20:37:39

It must have been awful to get one of those messages. It is hard for young people today to believe that people could be out of contact while away on holiday. They are so used to everyone having a mobile phone and being instantly reachable. I have noticed as well how many old movies have a plot that relies on people not being able to get in touch. How quaint it all seems now. Does anyone remember Napoleon Solo and Ilia Kyriakin having "communicators". It was science fiction then!

Oldgreymare Sat 20-Jul-13 21:59:02

I remember those messages but, as a child, I thought they said:
'lost her dog' instead of 'last heard of'....blush
Had visions of lots of lost dogs!

harrigran Mon 22-Jul-13 11:00:21

Didn't they sometimes say " contact Whitehall 1212 " ?

susieb755 Mon 22-Jul-13 22:20:31

Wise woman - you just made me remember my man from uncle badge ! I was so proud of it !

merlotgran Mon 22-Jul-13 22:25:48

I remember my mother used to 'tut' and sigh and say things like, 'Poor souls'. I used to have visions of a glamorous couple on honeymoon travelling to the south of France in a vintage car only to have to turn round and drive all the way back again.

Stansgran Mon 22-Jul-13 22:47:26

Orange have managed to detach my DH from the outside world. New mobile refusing to register. I could do with a radio message from the BBC to get him to help with the dish washer

mrsmopp Tue 23-Jul-13 13:41:42

Was whitehall 1212 the number for Scotland Yard?
No idea what their number is today.
To report a missing person press 1
To report a crime press 2
Your call is important to us please wait for an advusor.
Meanwhile listen to Greensleeves....

whenim64 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:56:54

The London Metropolitan Police force still contains the 1212 number at Scotland Yard, MrsMopp. Now, it's 020 7230 1212