Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Does anyone recognise?

(16 Posts)
FlicketyB Sat 31-Aug-13 08:30:30

I recognise the tune as being from a well known classical cello piece, but which eludes me but this is not the original but rather a modern variation on it.

When I heard the start of it I immediately thought of Gorecki and his Symphony of Sorrowful Songs. It is possible that this is from that. I do not know the piece well so cannot be confident about this.

merlotgran Fri 30-Aug-13 18:18:21

Still working on it, OGM. I wondered if Andrew Lloyd Webber and William Lloyd Webber might have written it but no evidence of either. We saw JLW at the Corn Exchange in Cambridge last year so I dug out the programme but it's not there either.

The man who put up the clip on YouTube has been back again. Apparently he bought the footage on eBay because he collects Aden memorabillia. No wonder he doesn't know what the accompaniment is. I thought he was a serving officer hmm

Trust me to stumble across a difficult 'find'

Oldgreymare Fri 30-Aug-13 18:08:21

I think it's a modern piece (but what do I know?) with elements of Mahler amongst others.
I'll be looking out for the answer!

merlotgran Fri 30-Aug-13 15:34:06

The thick plottens.....

I've just heard back (via facebook) from the man who put the clip on YouTube. He says he can't help with identifying the music because it was put on by the company who transfer old cine film to DVD. He hasn't offered to ask them for me but I might drop a hint wink

I've sent the clip to Classic FM so maybe they'll come up trumps.

It certainly sounds like Julian Lloyd Webber playing.

I love a mystery!

annodomini Fri 30-Aug-13 15:07:21

I have tried to message the person who posted the video but am not sure I have got it right! I've had a listen to all the cello music I can find but still can't identify it!

merlotgran Fri 30-Aug-13 13:50:34

That was DH's suggestion as well, Lona so I trawled through lots of Julian LW clips on Amazon last night but couldn't find anything like it. I hoped it would crop up on one of those compilation CDs where you find music by little known composers.

I suppose it could also be part of a soundtrack because the film clip is short and the music stops before the end so it's impossible to know how long it is.

Mishap I think Classic FM might be a good bet.

Anno The person on youtube is my niece. She plays the 'cello so I hoped she might have an idea. Fingers crossed he'll reply.

Ariadne. I will have a look at Albinoni clips on Amazon.

Mishap Fri 30-Aug-13 11:04:16

Isn't it lovely? I have never heard it before.

Why not mail the clip to Classicfm? - I am sure they would identify it and be happy to use it for their smooth classics night time slot.

Gally Fri 30-Aug-13 09:45:29

I've heard it quite a lot recently - wish I had taken more notice - it's sublime

annodomini Fri 30-Aug-13 09:39:57

I love cello music - haven't got that one but I'd buy it like a shot. I hope someone replies to the question someone asked on Youtube.

Ariadne Fri 30-Aug-13 09:24:24

I think it's Albinoni, but obviously not the G minor Adagio. Only think, mind you! Very vague memories from my days as a teenage viola player.

Lona Fri 30-Aug-13 09:23:17

A beautiful piece, I can only suggest looking on Youtube for Julian Lloyd Webber, in case he's played it.

gracesmum Thu 29-Aug-13 23:45:30

Lovely - could it be Bruch ?

Galen Thu 29-Aug-13 22:39:01

No!

Sel Thu 29-Aug-13 22:34:24

I tried Shazam on my phone but it couldn't identify it - how frustrating, it's beautiful.

Daisyanswerdo Thu 29-Aug-13 21:47:23

I wish I could help merlotgran. I don't think I've heard it before.

merlotgran Thu 29-Aug-13 21:41:28

This beautiful piece of music

I visit a facebook page for people who were children in Aden during the fifties and sixties. Someone put up this rather grainy clip from youtube and while it's nice to see some of the landmarks I was familiar with, what really struck me was the beautiful piece of cello music used as a background.

I don't know it but would love to find out what it is.