Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Where were you and what were you doing....

(60 Posts)
annodomini Fri 22-Nov-13 10:17:18

fifty years ago today? I was in the house I shared with two friends, watching TV after our evening meal, when the shattering news came through. President Kennedy had been shot. We were numb, incredulous. The President had become an icon for our generation. It couldn't have happened. But it had. What was also shocking was that the BBC, with crashing insensitivity, just carried on with a mediocre comedy programme as if nothing had happened. Do you remember that the next edition of TW3 commemorated President Kennedy in a beautifully sensitive manner? Millie Martin sang a song that I will never forget.

Mamardoit Fri 22-Nov-13 19:09:25

I remember my mum crying and my dad telling her to stop because she was upsetting me! I do remember watching the television and dad explaining who JFK was. At 7 it really didn't mean anything to me but I do remember watching his funeral and feeling very sad for the JFK's children. It was Aberfan that I really do remember.

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-13 19:49:13

I was & and visiting my grandmas cold house with my dad. I had gone out into the back garden, outside "lavvy" and when I got back indoors it had just been on the radio. can remember it so clearly even though I had no idea who he was at the time.

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-13 19:49:27

7 not& that is

harrigran Fri 22-Nov-13 23:08:10

DH and I had friends over and were listening to radio Luxembourg, transmission was stopped and the announcement of JFK's death made. I went into the kitchen to tell my father and then we went ten pin bowling.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Nov-13 23:47:48

I have no memory of the day itself, but feel I should as I was 8. I do remember lots of talk about it afterwards and my mother getting upset about the little boy saluting at his father's funeral. Aberfan made a huge impression a few years later.

Aurelia Sat 23-Nov-13 00:11:23

A Friday night, so I was off out to meet up with friends. As I got off the bus,(what teenager would say that these days?) a group of people were gathered around a TV in a showroom window.
The TV was showing the assassination newsreel, and the shop had stayed open and was full of people stunned by the news, it was probably about 7:30pm.
I watched briefly, but soon set off for my night out.

henetha Sat 23-Nov-13 10:44:35

I must be a really old gransnetter as I was 25 at the time and remember it clearly. My husband was watching television with our 3 year old son
and I was in the kitchen washing up after our meal. A sudden shout sent me running into the living room and there it was in black and white.
We were all devastated. John Kennedy was such a popular President.
Years later I was lucky enough to visit Arlington Cemetery near Washington and see his grave and eternal flame.
No amount of adverse publicity since can dim his light.

annodomini Sat 23-Nov-13 11:24:15

This thread demostrates what a spread of ages we have on Gransnet, doesn't it? I had just turned 23 at the time and was in my first teaching job. I never expected, when I joined Gransnet, to be one of the older grans - but I am! And it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. What unites us is that we are parents and grandparents.

Bach Sat 23-Nov-13 14:39:28

23 when JFK died oh you youngster!
I was at the pictures (not cinema) and the film was stopped suddenly and the news was flashed up on the screen. Then the film continued. can't remember what the film was though.

MargaretX Sat 23-Nov-13 15:56:13

I was in ill in bed but can't remember what was the matter with me. I remember my mother being upset and dragging me down to watch it on a little TV we had.

annodomini Sat 23-Nov-13 16:44:09

What do you mean. Bach? According to your profile you are five years younger than I am! grin

Natsnan Sat 23-Nov-13 17:01:45

I was at home writing to my American pen friend. I remember adding a ps to the letter saying we had just heard the news. Will never forget that evening.

espy2701 Fri 06-Dec-13 19:01:11

I was at my wedding rehearsal

withany Sat 07-Dec-13 14:20:08

It was the day before my brother got married, I was 13 and about to be one of the bridesmaids. I remember the adults being stunned by what had happened.

mrsmopp Mon 09-Dec-13 12:39:44

Yes I shall never forget the shock of it.
Jackie in her blood spattered suit is one image and the second is little John John aged 2 saluting at the funeral.
I cried and cried.

AlieOxon Mon 09-Dec-13 13:14:03

I was at my boyfriend's (to be husband then ex) flat in Glasgow. There were various people there after a party and we were all stunned.

agile75 Mon 09-Dec-13 17:44:44

we were in my MiL house when it happened,my youngest was just 3 weeks old. my dear MiL had a picture of Kennedy on the one wall the pope (i think it was pope john) on the opposite wall and the sacred heart with a little candle light on the third wall.We were all upset,it just felt like the bottom had dropped out and that comfortable feeling was gone. (shock)

Florrie64 Sun 05-Jan-14 13:46:33

I was in utero at the time, born three months later in Feb '64! grin x

TriciaF Sun 05-Jan-14 14:10:58

It was just a week after our 2nd boy was born, the first being born Oct. 1962 when the US backed down from military confrontation with Cuba.
I remember thinking, the world is in a mess, what are we bringing these 2 little mites into?

Maniac Sun 05-Jan-14 20:57:43

I was 32 with 3 children aged 4,3 and 1. Preparing for their bed/bath time when I heard the news on the radio.-we didn't have a TV.

Versavisa Mon 06-Jan-14 10:28:17

This always baffles me. I was 16 when Kennedy got shot and I do not remember it.

It's not old age and a failing memory as I never have been able to tell you where or what I was doing when I heard the news.

I now wonder what I was doing at the time that was so interesting that it blanked out such an important event?

janerowena Mon 06-Jan-14 10:39:24

I don't remember either, but do remember aberfan as the children were my age. What did we all expect of Kennedy? I feel a bit ignorant of that. I do remember my parents talking about it over the years, but not in a way that suggested anything other than that it was a shocking event and feeling sorry for the immediate family.

papaoscar Mon 06-Jan-14 19:33:05

By chance we were watching tv when 9/11 happened, and saw it all live. I wish we hadn't.

pinkprincess Mon 06-Jan-14 20:51:36

I was a first year student nurse on my first spell of night duty.It was all we talked about that night.
I was also on night duty when Diana died.I was enjoying my lunch break in the ward dayroom when one of my colleagues rushed in to put the TV on.They had just heard it on the radio outside.

broomsticks Mon 06-Jan-14 20:54:48

I was at boarding school. For some bizarre reason my parents tried it twice and I ran away both times. I remember hearing the news though.