Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Where were you and what were you doing....

(60 Posts)
annodomini Fri 22-Nov-13 10:17:18

fifty years ago today? I was in the house I shared with two friends, watching TV after our evening meal, when the shattering news came through. President Kennedy had been shot. We were numb, incredulous. The President had become an icon for our generation. It couldn't have happened. But it had. What was also shocking was that the BBC, with crashing insensitivity, just carried on with a mediocre comedy programme as if nothing had happened. Do you remember that the next edition of TW3 commemorated President Kennedy in a beautifully sensitive manner? Millie Martin sang a song that I will never forget.

Bach Sat 23-Nov-13 14:39:28

23 when JFK died oh you youngster!
I was at the pictures (not cinema) and the film was stopped suddenly and the news was flashed up on the screen. Then the film continued. can't remember what the film was though.

annodomini Sat 23-Nov-13 11:24:15

This thread demostrates what a spread of ages we have on Gransnet, doesn't it? I had just turned 23 at the time and was in my first teaching job. I never expected, when I joined Gransnet, to be one of the older grans - but I am! And it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. What unites us is that we are parents and grandparents.

henetha Sat 23-Nov-13 10:44:35

I must be a really old gransnetter as I was 25 at the time and remember it clearly. My husband was watching television with our 3 year old son
and I was in the kitchen washing up after our meal. A sudden shout sent me running into the living room and there it was in black and white.
We were all devastated. John Kennedy was such a popular President.
Years later I was lucky enough to visit Arlington Cemetery near Washington and see his grave and eternal flame.
No amount of adverse publicity since can dim his light.

Aurelia Sat 23-Nov-13 00:11:23

A Friday night, so I was off out to meet up with friends. As I got off the bus,(what teenager would say that these days?) a group of people were gathered around a TV in a showroom window.
The TV was showing the assassination newsreel, and the shop had stayed open and was full of people stunned by the news, it was probably about 7:30pm.
I watched briefly, but soon set off for my night out.

Maggiemaybe Fri 22-Nov-13 23:47:48

I have no memory of the day itself, but feel I should as I was 8. I do remember lots of talk about it afterwards and my mother getting upset about the little boy saluting at his father's funeral. Aberfan made a huge impression a few years later.

harrigran Fri 22-Nov-13 23:08:10

DH and I had friends over and were listening to radio Luxembourg, transmission was stopped and the announcement of JFK's death made. I went into the kitchen to tell my father and then we went ten pin bowling.

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-13 19:49:27

7 not& that is

storynanny Fri 22-Nov-13 19:49:13

I was & and visiting my grandmas cold house with my dad. I had gone out into the back garden, outside "lavvy" and when I got back indoors it had just been on the radio. can remember it so clearly even though I had no idea who he was at the time.

Mamardoit Fri 22-Nov-13 19:09:25

I remember my mum crying and my dad telling her to stop because she was upsetting me! I do remember watching the television and dad explaining who JFK was. At 7 it really didn't mean anything to me but I do remember watching his funeral and feeling very sad for the JFK's children. It was Aberfan that I really do remember.

Notso Fri 22-Nov-13 18:50:26

I was waiting for a bus home after a late Friday night shift on the checkout in Waitrose, North Watford. Chap in the bus queue had a portable wireless and the news came through on that. Unforgettable.

I've just been listening to Alistair Cooke's Letter From America broadcast about it.

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00yqhr6

grumppa Fri 22-Nov-13 18:28:34

I had been to the cinema in Headington and was walking back to my college. As I was crossing St. Clements somebody yelled out the news. Can't remember what the film was.

NfkDumpling Fri 22-Nov-13 18:12:46

I was sixteen and at home. I remember seeing it on our little black and white telly and being fascinated as I hadn't seen anyone shot before. Not for real.

ninathenana Fri 22-Nov-13 18:04:38

Sook your like my DD then smile she will often remind me of events in her childhood that I had long forgotten.

I do remember hearing about it. Just not what I was doing ay the time.

absent Fri 22-Nov-13 17:49:03

I remember the news of his assassination but I don't think it meant much to me. It wasn't until some years later that I learned more about the politics of the time. However, I do remember hearing of the assassination of Martin Luther King nearly five years later when I was much more politically astute and informed as clearly as if it had happened yesterday.

wisewoman Fri 22-Nov-13 17:16:37

A lot of people at guides. I was at a brownie meeting as a Guide helper (I was 15). I walked into the house to be told that Kennedy had died. I can remember it all very clearly.

Sook Fri 22-Nov-13 17:03:03

nina grin I have the memory of an elephant when it comes to trivial details.

Frannygranny Fri 22-Nov-13 16:55:14

I was 10 years old and at Guides and one of the leaders came in at campfire time and told us the news. We finished early as we couldn't believe it and instead of going for chips as we usually did we all went home.

numberplease Fri 22-Nov-13 16:50:52

I was home alone, doing some hand washing and placing it around the fire on a clothes horse, hubby was out at brass band practice. The news came on, and there it was! Such a shock, and had to wait a couple of hours for him to get home so I could talk about it.

KatyK Fri 22-Nov-13 16:48:01

I remember seeing it on our tiny TV. My dad coming in from the pub (as usual) he was in a good mood (not usual) and he had bought me a Beatles magazine (not at all usual). We told him about JFK. He was really upset as were we all. My family are Irish Catholics, Kennedy was a hero to us.

petallus Fri 22-Nov-13 16:41:22

I can't remember but I do remember exactly what I was doing when the news about Diana came through.

merlotgran Fri 22-Nov-13 16:37:30

Playing Beatles records in my bedroom. My friend had come round because Friday night was always 'wash your hair' night.

baubles Fri 22-Nov-13 16:04:40

It was a Friday, I was almost 10 years old and have a clear memory of discussing it with my friend on our walk to Guides.

J52 Fri 22-Nov-13 15:58:35

Getting ready for the Guide and Brownies christmas fare in the Guide hall. X

MaggieP Fri 22-Nov-13 15:16:36

I was at boarding school and we were about to have our meal when it was announced, so a huge wailing went up from a large amount of emotional school girls,
How could one forget such a tragedy in our time.

ninathenana Fri 22-Nov-13 15:15:12

Sook and I are the same age but obviously has a better memory than me. I have no idea what I was doing.