Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

What's the worst Christmas present you ever gave or received?

(55 Posts)
broomsticks Wed 18-Dec-13 22:32:06

My mother-in-law always remembered that one of her sons, who shall be nameless, once gave her half a pounds of lard for Christmas hmm

Sonsybesom Thu 23-Jan-14 19:47:58

My worst present was from my aunt, wrapped in several boxes all wrapped in Christmas paper, when I was about seven. i was so excited, unwrapping every layer..... To find inside a grey plastic rain hat like a pixie hood!! Never forgot it! And have never as far as I know given useful presents to little girls! Grin

kittylester Thu 09-Jan-14 14:39:06

My SiL, who I love dearly, can be quite tight and one year gave me a second hand machine for peeling new potatoes. It was still in it's original box but had been well used and the box was disintegrating.

sunseeker Thu 09-Jan-14 12:49:55

My friend and I used to give each other "funny" presents - one year I bought her a baby's bottle (she is single and has no children) but filled it with vodka! I think that was the year she gave me a skipping rope and a diet book (I had been whinging about putting on weight!)

HappyNanna Thu 09-Jan-14 11:20:11

Don't often post, but must reply to this one. Many years ago when I was a young single mum my boyfriend gave me a cheese bell. When I expressed disappointment he said well, I wanted to get you a bread bin but they didn't have any. Needless to say he didn't last much longer, but my daughter and I have a laugh about now and again. (Have still got the cheese bell which must be about 30 years old) smile

rosesarered Thu 09-Jan-14 10:55:35

Anyway, these days, I WOULD like a warm nightie! grin

rosesarered Thu 09-Jan-14 10:54:16

I didn't mind the hankies if they also came with a little box of Smarties!Must admit, although I have enjoyed reading your posts, I can't think of a worst present either received or given, obviously some years are better than others!
I don't mind if I am given a recycled present, as long as it's something I can use myself [and it's in a clean state.] I do remember being a bit disappointed by DH's presents now and then, but realise now that men have no idea about what we want. If you get a warm nightie, it's because he really thinks you would like one, it's not a veiled insult.

Charleygirl Tue 24-Dec-13 21:55:30

My ex MiL used to always give me something for the kitchen- nothing of any use or very expensive eg a cheap carving knife or a tea towel or two. I had inherited everything my parents owned when they died. Also collecting a fair amount of kitchen stuff before I got married and ditto my ex. We were well catered for.

I also remember the handkerchiefs as a child. I was always so disappointed.

broomsticks Tue 24-Dec-13 16:27:15

Hope I've got it right for everyone this Christmasntchsmile

Happy Christmas

Flowerofthewest Mon 23-Dec-13 18:41:36

I have three of those very strange curved photo frames. Very odd indeed and they keep falling over

Nonu Mon 23-Dec-13 12:32:06

That will teach him to keep quiet !
tchgrin

eGJ Mon 23-Dec-13 12:15:20

MiL gave us a very strange curved photograph frame; effusive thanks from DH. Result........a DOUBLE curved photo frame the next year! tchgrin

broomsticks Sun 22-Dec-13 14:31:05

Makes a change from a bottle of wine tchgrin I hope.

Stansgran Sat 21-Dec-13 15:47:32

But has anyone ever been asked to give 250ml of Brake fluid dot 4 as a Christmas present? I have . This morning .By DH.tchhmm

KatyK Sat 21-Dec-13 12:33:29

or tchgrin even

KatyK Sat 21-Dec-13 12:33:12

Last year my sister excitedly opened a lovely looking parcel from a friend - it was a box of tissues !tchgrin]

tiggypiro Fri 20-Dec-13 19:00:20

Oh yes broomsticks I too not only remember the hankies but I think if I had a good look I may well find some. Unless of course I have chucked them out in one of my very sporadic clear outs. My Nana used to edge them with tatting too and I never appreciated the work she must have put in. They were very rarely used as they were much too posh for playing around the farm or to take to school which is probably why they may still be lurking somewhere. Instead we had hankies made from the bags the flour came in.

How very disappointing joannapiano to be given an empty box at the age of ten. Now at one year old .............................!

joannapiano Fri 20-Dec-13 18:42:13

When DS was 10, my childless SiL brought a large oblong parcel to put under our tree for him. He unwrapped the paper and found a large box inside.He excitedly opened it-empty! We examined the box more closely and discovered that was the present-it was for filing documents.

Nonu Fri 20-Dec-13 18:28:55

Tell you what gives me the greatest pleasure on the rare occasion I go on to Mumsnet , that they themselves will be in that position one day. The biter will be bit .
One has to be so very careful what one wishes for !

tchgrin tchgrin

Mamie Fri 20-Dec-13 18:19:12

There is a very funny thread on Mumsnet where MiL has asked everyone to write a poem for her for Christmas. Hope it isn't one of us? (The MiL suppository thread is very funny too...)

Stansgran Fri 20-Dec-13 18:09:46

Oh TriciaF I hope our daughters won't have to say that. Made me so sad.

broomsticks Fri 20-Dec-13 15:12:51

As a kid I remember the worst presents were handkerchiefs. You would open this promising looking parcel from some elderly aunt or great aunt and find ... a box of handkerchiefs with little dollies or something embroidered on. What a terrible thing to do to a child! grin

harrigran Fri 20-Dec-13 13:03:47

One of my DD's friends gave her a cami-top, before unfolding it looked quite nice, then she found it was a size 20 and obviously just come out of the friend's lingerie drawer because DD is a size 6.

janerowena Thu 19-Dec-13 19:47:57

Ex bought me an oldlady nighty just after I had my daughter, because I used to watch the Golden Girls and he thought I would like a nice warm nighty like theirs. I was desperately upset because I thought that was how he now saw me, unsexy and mumsy.

My mother wanted garden compost one year. Lots of it. No-one would deliver and she lived 30 miles away, so one day I made two round trips with my car loaded up with the stuff. She was far more pleased with that gift than I was.

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 19:36:52

Jumping cursor in that post! tchshock

annodomini Thu 19-Dec-13 19:36:22

My sister and I combed the Christmas catalogues for the most unsuitable present for our obnoxious BiL (other sister's now-ex husband). I seem to remember that we hit on a sort of jokey bow tie. I never received thanks tchshock] from him.[s Not long after that, our sister gave him his marching orders.