Gransnet forums

Genealogy/memories

Funny old thing the brain

(29 Posts)
NanKate Sat 12-Apr-14 10:38:55

I was listening to the Graham Norton Show this morning and heard a song from the 1960s which I really liked and bought in vinyl. It was called 'Sunny' then it popped into my 67 year old brain that it was sung by Bobby Hebb.

Why can I remember this from 50 years+ but have difficulty in remembering activities and people from last week ?

It's not fair, so there. hmm

Purpledaffodil Sat 12-Apr-14 20:18:59

Same here NanKate. I can remember the Dewey number for football from my not very misspent youth as a children's librarian. But when asked for my mobile number I haven't a clue. And I have had that number for 10 years! So aggravating I agree.

rubysong Sat 12-Apr-14 21:07:34

Learning the number of my mobile phone has been my New Year's resolution for the last three years, but I have yet to manage it! (My excuse is that we get no signal here so rarely use it.). However I have just impressed DH by remembering the name of the scorer of a goal scored at Torquay United about thirty years ago.

grandma60 Sat 12-Apr-14 21:39:38

I can't remember any of my passwords for on-line banking etc but I can remember that 1846 was my Mum,s co-op divi number from arounnd 50 years ago.

ninathenana Sat 12-Apr-14 22:00:20

1107 mum's co-op number
873789 my teenage best friends phone number

My mobile, er, um, ...........

grin

rosesarered Sat 12-Apr-14 22:05:44

I'm always amazed that anyone knows their own mobile number [I don't] and anyway it's such a long number.

shysal Sat 12-Apr-14 22:08:33

Mum's Co-op number 45009. No idea of my own. Childhood car numbers BVO 330, PFC753. When I need to remember my current registration for a car park machine my mind goes blank.

Kiora Sat 12-Apr-14 22:21:06

I'm not telling anyone my mums coop number is the password for everything.

merlotgran Sat 12-Apr-14 22:31:17

FZ 74 was the registration number of Dad's first car. I was seven. Whenever I sign a visitor's book and have to enter the number of my car I have to go back outside and look because I can't remember it.

rosequartz Sat 12-Apr-14 22:39:38

I can remember my mum's co-op number, my first car reg and DH's car reg when I first met him.

However, I have to look out of the front door if asked our present car reg and I can't even remember where I put my mobile, let alone the number.

yogagran Sat 12-Apr-14 23:00:57

I can remember several phone numbers, bank account numbers and sort codes. My credit card 12 digit number is firmly lodged in my brain along with the expiry date and security number on the back, probably something to do with the frequency I use the card shock. I really don't understand how or why I can remember numbers so easily when I am completely useless at any form of maths

merlotgran Sat 12-Apr-14 23:21:57

I once sent my credit card PIN number a Christmas card because I 'hid' it in my address book as Penelope Pinner with a false address and phone number.....Geddit???

I was working my way through my address book and couldn't remember who the hell she was so I sent her one anyway. hmm

MiniMouse Sat 12-Apr-14 23:27:29

Merlot grin Brilliant!

Aka Sat 12-Apr-14 23:35:35

What a complicated life you lead Merlot

Nelliemoser Sat 12-Apr-14 23:56:54

I remember one of my dads car numbers it was HVX 554 and my old style NHS number which I won't disclose.The new 10 digit one is a blank. The numbers of family houses I have lived in are 35, 52, 29, 23, 67, 20. from 1948 to current day. I cannot remember my mobile number.

Iam64 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:48:12

I'm another one who can remember telephone numbers, car number plates, and the names of not very well known entertainers from the 60's, but have all my important mobile numbers, passwords etc written down. Recently, my brain went fogged and I couldn't remember the pin number I'd been using for several years. I could recall all the numbers, but not in the right order. This prompted me to follow mum's lead, and use my date of birth - I know, I know, bad idea, but it works

harrigran Sun 13-Apr-14 23:55:30

I remember Mum's co-op number 16089 and DH's first car TGR 220, but can not recall my mobile number or indeed any other phone number.

NanKate Mon 14-Apr-14 06:52:31

I'm setting myself a challenge and have given myself a week to learn my mobile number. Now to find the location of my mobile ! grin

rosesarered Mon 14-Apr-14 20:04:04

Bobby Hebb? Who he?

rosesarered Mon 14-Apr-14 20:09:05

I can remember the house names and numbers from all the houses I have lived in from age 3 onwards. I can clearly remember our first car reg number [it was an Anglia as well]. I can't remember ANY telephone numbers [and I have to think hard to remember my present number.]I can recall quite a lot of names of girls/boys from primary school but not from the next school. I can remember all the nasty teachers names from both schools [ a lot.]I can remember neighbours names from when I was about 11, but forget present neighbours names.Old age, what it does to you!

rosequartz Mon 14-Apr-14 20:14:49

I remember (wow!) going to M&S years ago and putting in the wrong pin number three times. How could I have done that? Must have been agitated about something else at the time. confused

rosequartz Mon 14-Apr-14 20:16:14

I can also remember the house number I lived in age 3 as I lived there from birth to 20!! And it is the same number as the house I now live in.

NanKate Mon 14-Apr-14 20:44:18

Rose, Bobby Hebb sang a song in the 60s called 'Sunny' . I'm sure if you heard the first few notes it would come back to you.

rosequartz Mon 14-Apr-14 20:59:06

Oh, NanKate, I shall have it on the brain all night!

NanKate Tue 15-Apr-14 10:54:48

Hope you slept ok Rose.